“Strange Hotel, but even stranger guests” 3 of 5 stars

Western Inn
2331 N Main St, Roswell, NM 88201   |
Ranked #23 of 25 Hotels in Roswell
Houston, Texas
“Strange Hotel, but even stranger guests”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We decided to stay at the Western Hotel, because it was not only pet friendly but because of the awesome Cowboy alien in front of the hotel. The attendant seemed very nice, but once the sun went down things started to get a little "interesting" if you know what I mean.

The guests next to us started fighting, and wigging out about something. I guess they weren't too happy we decided to stay there for the night, something about messing up their business. I'm assuming it had to do with his meth business or something.

Not to mention the blocked door in our room. The curiosity got the best of us, so we opened it. I immediately got a creeped out feeling - nothing was in there, just some kind of weird stain on the carpet. We immediately closed the door and moved the table back in front of it. The shower had a gaping hole in the floor so you had to be careful not get your heel caught. The Wi-Fi was basically ineffective, because we were on the opposite side - far from the office.

What a crazy night. I have to say this was definitely a strange experience in a strange place.

On the upside, I'm glad to have had the experience. Would I stay here again? I can't say for sure, but hey! Maybe I would! ;)

Room Tip: If you need wifi - request a room closest to the office. Also be prepared for angry druggies right...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sedona, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Of course when I say "Sweet" in the title, I'm not meaning what you may think I mean.

I mean...Ahhhh sweet...this is the true Americana roadside motel I've heard about and now I feel I am a true initiate into the club.

The club of those who have stayed at, and survived, the horror that is out there.

Once we passed the group of beer swilling Mexican laborers outside our room, we were greeted by a somewhat worn, albeit comfy, looking room.

It was moldy, it was stained, it was dirty...but it was a true "experience" for us, so we dove right in.

It wasn't until we settled in and realized the front door didn't lock that we thought...maybe this wasn't a good idea.

And when the AC went out in the middle of the night we sweatily held each other for dear life until the sun rose in the morning and the laborers left.

It was a trip...and in retrospect a little "too real" or us.

We don't recommend this place for anyone living.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We saw a sticker on the window that said "Highly rated by trip advisor 2011" or something to that effect so my parents booked the room... until I came on here and read reviews. We then went to look at the room and there were used toiletries left in the bathroom, garbage in the cans, garbage on the floor, pieces of hair on the sheets... I didn't want to stay to find out what else.

This prompted us to ask to check every room before purchase at any smaller motels/inns from that point forward.

Thankfully, we were given a full refund.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Austin, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We went and bought flip flops to use in the showers because we did not want our bare feet to touch the floor in our shower. It was that dirty. Our towel (Yes, 1. We had to ask for another, and yet another) was full of holes.

There was trash from the previous occupants in the room, as well as sharp burs in the carpets.

I think the hotel owner's kids were playing in the parking lot a good majority of the time, and they kept staring at us, and hanging out outside our door.

I mean, I did not expect very much from this hotel, but even with that I was very disappointed.

Room Tip: There are other hotels practically across the street, stay there instead.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Stay away!!! The rooms were filthy and nasty. Towels were dirty and stained and roaches were in the shower. Rooms were extremely hot and stuffy. Definitely the most disgusting hotel I've ever stayed at and do not recommend it. The front office was rude and did not give me a refund, and informed me that she also had roaches in her room and made it seem like it was a "normal" thing to have gross bugs in the rooms. Stay away from this hotel!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Santa Fe, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

If you are reading this STAY FAR WAY!

This place was very dirty, under our beds were multiple pieces of trash including used tissue, eye drop prescription, receipts, a toe nail clipping and a persons address book and lots of candy wrappers and dust bunnies. The pillows in our non-smoking room reeked of smoke. The sheets were very worn and were dirty, there were used packets of shampoo and bars of soap in the shower, feces on the under side of the toilet seat. The pool has a mis-match of old dilapidated house hold lawn chairs, the lawn table instead of having an umbrella had an old garden rake in place of the umbrella. The shower was falling apart and very very dirty. The bathroom even had an old toilet plunger next to the tub.

I have stayed in many Motels/hotels and this is far worse they any I have ever stayed. We booked for two nights and left after one night even though I already paid for the second night. They refused to give any refund.

I'll put it to you this way, if you were in Roswell and drove by this place you would never consider staying there just by the look of the outside of the building, decapitated, dirty and un-kept The front office appeared to be some hoarders office with stacks and stacks of dusty used papers and old phone books all over the place.

The kicker is the Owner parks his nice Mercedes out front while his motel is falling a part.

There are lots of nicer hotels near by for $10-$20 more a night, believe me it will be worth it.

You have been warned!

Happy Travel!

I will be adding some photos.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

There is a dark stain in the bottom of the bathtub, and horrible water pressure. There is a nasty pink gum stain on the floor.... Someone has wiped their snot on the wall of the bathroom and there is blood drops behind the toilet, too. The carpet by the sink is damaged and we kept stepping on a sharp part of the floor. There is no lamp shade on one of the lights. The room is unfinished or in disrepair. The door has a large window in it with a flimsy curtain we can see through.... So much for real privacy. The temperature is currently in the mid 90's and the pool is closed because there is supposedly a whole in the liner. When we sit at the foot of the beds, they flip up. When we first checked in there were two bath towels but no wash cloths or hand towels. This was the nastiest motel room we ever stayed in!!! I will be posting pics of it.... Yuck!! I would not recommend this hotel at all.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Western Inn? Share your experiences!