“Avoid!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 25 Hotels in Roswell
Monett, Missouri
“Avoid!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This hotel was absolutely disgusting. I will never stay here again and I will tell anyone who's traveling to Roswell to not stay here either. Me and a friend stayed here for a couple of nights on a road trip. I made reservations 2 months in advance and yet when I walked into the lobby the woman at the desk just stared at me and then 5 minutes later finally got off her butt to come see what I wanted. We got to our room, discovering along the way that the pool is closed and doesn't look like it's been open in years, though all of its advertisements mention it. The supports holding up the awning over the sidewalk in front of the rooms were nearly all cracked, several having looked like they've been run into with a car. In the room, the bathroom was gross. There were dead bugs on the floor and a big crack in the wall above the bathtub fixtures. The Wi-Fi was spotty. I tried to get it to work for an hour and it would connect and disconnect repeatedly. Finally I went to the lobby to talk to them about it and he tried to tell me it was working and that it must be my computer. I know in his culture (he was from India) they don't listen to women (have had this same thing happen to me before both over the phone and in person), but that was no excuse to tell me it was a problem on my end. Neither my kindle nor my laptop would stay connected, and neither would my friend's phone, so I know it wasn't us. I told him, rather forcefully, it wasn't a problem on our end and that it wouldn't even register that there was a connection available. He finally gave an exasperated sigh and said he'd take his phone to check it out. 10 minutes later it was working the best it worked the entire stay. It however did not stay that way and I was lucky to get my homework turned in on time. It was spotty off and on the remainder of our stay. Another thing is the ice machine. It was old and nasty. Nasty as in there was mold growing all over it, which I don't have to tell you would definitely make someone sick, if the thing was working at all. After seeing all the mold I decided I didn't even want to know if the thing worked or not. Breakfast was almost non-existent and me and my friend didn't even bother to eat there. They had some cereal and some coffee. That's it. This place is awful and I hope they go out of business soon. I normally don't have any problems with the hotels I stay at, but I couldn't keep quiet on this one. Don't stay here if you have any other option. It might be the cheapest, but there's a reason for that!

Room Tip: Tip to help travelers choose a good room? Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Clyde, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

For $61 it wasn't too bad for the night. The place is old and not too well maintained. The electric on one side of the bed didnt work to run the C-pap machine. The king sized bed was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed July 2013
Spokane, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I sure would not stay here again. Lobby reeked of smoke, smoke free room smelled of smoke and restaurant was full of smokers and smoke. Guess I'm not used to restaurants that still allow smoking. Overall condition was old and shabby. Lot of transient folks, in an industrial area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

OK I'm a smoker but this was terrible. The air con didnt work, the room was barely clean. Was a place to crash for one night but was really bad. I emptied a can of air freshner into the room and even that didnt help. Cheap but NOT recommended!

Room Tip: Do not get a smoking room!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Lubbock, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Went up to the room and decided not to stay there. The sheets did not fit the bed. The tub was dirty. Furniture in bad shape.
Stairwell was dirty. Two of my kids stepped on gum.
Did not feel safe. They did not ask to see my ID.
The pool was closed.
The staff was nice but the accomodations were not.
When we left there we stayed at another motel much nicer for only $5 more.
We will not be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Clinton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Room was clean and bed comfort was average. If you need a place to stay passing through this place will work. The only improvement needed is more options for breakfast. All they had to choose from was cereal, toast and honey buns.

• Stayed March 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I was in Roswell back in May of this year, see my review of the Super 8, and this time this hotel was slightly cheaper so I picked this one to see how it compared to the Super 8. This time, I stayed here for one night, Oct. 3rd, 2012. I also picked this hotel because the rooms do have a microwave and mini fridge.

The room was OK, but I'm not that picky. The microwave worked but just barely. The key pad was loose and I'm sure that it could have stop working any second. Lucky for me it continued to work while I was there. I very much doubt that if it had stopped working that I would have got a replacement, even if I was staying there for a few days.

I am a deep sleeper so I may or may not wake up with just one wake up call. I probably would as I had been so far on my trip but just in case I requested several, one an hour until I answered. The hotel I just left in Sierra Vista, Az had no problem with this request and it was the same price as this one. I wanted to get an early start, as I had a 17 hour & 24 minute drive to get home. If I left early in the morning then I would get home before midnight. This is what I would like but it was not absolutely necessary. When I called to request the wake up calls, I was told that their system will only do one. So I asked to have the night clerk make the other calls and he or she wouldn't have to make them at the exact minute. I was told that the night clerk was "too busy" to be making any wake up calls. As it turned out I did wake up and was checking out at 4:15 AM, so I don't know what the free breakfast consists of or how good it is. It took a little less than a minute for the clerk to come to the desk. I could tell that yes he was too busy to be making wake up calls because he was "too busy - Sleeping", since he came out of a dark room. He took my room key and dropped it into a slot. He did nothing else. I think that I could have put the key in the slot but I thought that he would give me a copy of the final bill to show that there were no other charges to be added, like the other hotels did. Wrong; he was in a hurry to returned to the dark room. It must be nice to get paid to sleep so you are well rested to work another job during the day.

It is obvious from this and the overall attitude of the clerk that signed me in that the hotel doesn't care that much about the customers. I will not stay here again. If you just need a room for one night, are not a deep sleeper and don't care if you don't get any service then this may not be too bad of a choice as it is one of the lowest priced hotel in town. Good luck if you get a room where the microwave may break any second, like the one I had.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to National 9 Inn? Share your experiences!