“Noisy and no one to call” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Copper King Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Red River
Copper King Lodge
You added Copper King Lodge to your Saves list
307 E. River Street, Red River, NM 87558   |
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Red River
Denison, Texas
“Noisy and no one to call”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

While the woman who booked my husband and I for this one night drive thru stay was very nice and accommodated us well, since some of the other lodges were fully booked, I cannot give this place a good review for the simple matter of noise. The first floor one bedroom unit we had was spacious and what you would expect from a lodge, but we were kept up all night by the people above us walking all night and then early morning. don't know what these people were doing or how they could keep it up all night, but all we heard was constant pacing, creaking and the toilet flushing from above. It's an old lodge, so it sounds like an old lodge when you are on the bottom floor. My husband and I had been driving all day and had another full day of driving ahead of us, so this was especially annoying. I know some people can sleep through anything, but if you are not one of these people either request a top floor room or don't stay. Then, there was no one in the office and only a message could be left at the number we called from the brochure. We had to call when we got there because another guest decided to double park in the only available parking spot left. We tried to call to see if anyone was available at the number provided to find out who owned the vehicle and have them move it, but no luck...no one was available in the office after 6pm. I believe my husband said he was told that the lady (name I forget) was at the top of the mountain and didn't know when she would be back down, but she would check on it when she could. This is very inconvenient for guests and should be noted by mgmt. Someone should be available at all times for guests. We decided to drive through the Red River area on our way home from our road trip, since I had never been. It was a beautiful area and the lift did look like a perk to this lodge, but with such a creaky building I know my husband and I would look for other accommodations in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
copperkinglodge, Owner at Copper King Lodge, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear Heather O,
My name is Clay Robertson and I am the owner of the Copper King Lodge. I appreciate your recent stay with us, and I am sorry for the noise you encountered at our property; but, I am also a little confused by part of your review.
Please let me start by addressing your concerns about parking. My wife was the one who received your call about the parking spot. I was in the car with her, and we were driving into the upper valley (about 10 minutes away from the lodge) when your husband called. My wife told him to simply park directly across the street from our parking lot. Copper King sits at the end of a dead end street with virtually no traffic at our end, and there is ample parking right across the street. This area is simply like an extension of our own parking lot. When our lodge is at capacity, we have numerous guests every day that park in this area.
We did find the Toyota Tacoma that had parked over one of the lines, thereby taking up two parking spots. We did not want to call every room at 9:00 pm and disturb our guests to find out who it belonged to. Since it is common practice for our guests to park directly across the street, we knew that your car would be safe, and we would not have to disturb all of our guests to track down the owner of the vehicle. We attempted to call your room and inform you of our findings when we returned to the lodge, but no one answered at that time.
On to your noise complaint, as any motel or lodge, Copper King will get the occasional inconsiderate or obliviously noisy guest. We unfortunately do not know this when they check in, but do our best to inform people that our quiet time is 9:30 pm, and we strictly enforce that. We have hundreds and hundreds of guests that stay in our lower floor units each year with no complaints at all. Unfortunately, I believe that you may have had one of the “occasional oblivious” guest above you.
This is where I get a little confused. You said that there was no one to call, yet earlier that evening, you had spoken with my wife on our emergency line about your parking spot. Our emergency line is answered 24 hours a day when the office is closed. If we are not on site in our home (which is attached to the lodge office), the phone is forwarded to us or one of our employees. No Copper King employee is ever more than 10 minutes away from the lodge. If, by chance, one of us happens to be outside on the property and the other say in the shower, we have voicemail and we check it as soon as we get in. Your call would have been returned in less than 5 minutes had you left us a message. I can say with complete certainty though that we never received a call or message that night after you called us about the parking spot. We cannot help our guests or quiet down noisy neighbors if we do not even know that there is a problem.
You say that you had never been to Red River before and we truly appreciate you coming to visit our little town. Something to know on future visits to Red River though is that the town is comprised nearly entirely of small family owned businesses. This is part of the reason that Red River is such an inviting and welcoming place. The flip side to this is that I do not believe that there is one lodge in town (except for Best Western) that has a front desk that is manned 24 hours a day. It has always worked well for us though to provide each and every one of our guests our emergency number when they check in or in their late check in package. We just ask that they use it!
Thank you again for staying with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Peralta, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Copper King is one of the best kept secrets in Red River, our staying was relaxing and very enjoyable. The rooms are kept extremely clean you can eat off there floors and there towels are the best. Will be our place to stay whenever we go to Red River!!

Room Tip: Ask for the Riverview rooms
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Plainview, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

A great place to stay! The accommodations are great for families , friends or couples!The small refrigerators in the rooms are great, to the BBQ grills out by the creek. The place is simple and reasonably priced. There are lots of things to enjoy . The value is worth the stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stay here with our in-laws every 4th of July, and love it. The rooms are perfectly clean and kept up. It seems like each year they have updated something in them, whether it be the headboards, the microwaves, the coffee makers, etc. They have free wifi in all of their rooms, which is nice. The staff is very courteous, and they greet you as you come and go (if they are around cleaning rooms or whatnot). The 2nd floor is great, because you get lots of hummingbirds visiting the feeders. There are lots of pretty, colorful flowers that my MIL and I enjoy taking pictures of :) We've stayed in the double rooms, as well as the suite with 2 bedrooms, kitchen, and living room, and loved both. There is no AC, but we haven't had any problems with that. We open our windows and turn on the fan, and it's nice and cool. Plus, it's so nice to sleep with the fresh mountain air coming in!
The location is great for walking to breakfast spots (Old Tymers, of course!), visiting the shops along Main Street, Der Mart for some snacks, or just taking a walk up the river. We have had deer walk up, very close to us. There are lots of friendly people along the river trail. If you're going to Red River, stay here!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

We loved our stay at Copper King Lodge! Great location, wonderful & clean accommodations, and a very kind & helpful staff. We look forward to a future stay at Copper King.

• Stayed July 2012
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

This lodge is the PERFECT place to spend a vacation in the mountains of Northern New Mexico. The rooms are spacious with all of the comforts of home. Service is great and the staff is always available to answer questions and make your stay comfortable. Look NO further for comfort!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

One would be hard pressed to find a place anywhere else that combines the friendliness, location, cleanliness and price we experienced at the Copper King Lodge. We were extremely please with almost everything!

Our only concern (nothing that will keep us from coming back, or recommending the place) is the first floor steps in front of the unit, where we stayed, did not have hand rails. This was a minor discomfort, as my companion is somewhat handicapped with poor balance. Rails would have made it a bit easier for her. Be that as it may, we're looking forward to going back and bringing friends!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Copper King Lodge? Share your experiences!