“Good times with an old friend.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 16 Activities in Red River
Type: Ski/ Snowboard Areas, Sports
Activities: Skiing
More attraction details
Owner description: Northern New Mexico's year-round destination for family-friendly fun in the Southwest Sun & Snow! The place for all-ages traditions, Red River Ski Area has something for everyone!At Red River Ski Area the attitude is laid back, the people are friendly. With an average of 18 feet of snow each winter and 75-degree average temperatures in the summer, conditions are great!Red River Ski Area is located at the top of the Enchanted Circle in Northern New Mexico. Making families smile since 1959, it is a full service ski & snowboard area with lessons, rentals, and lift tickets, all conveniently located in town.Some of our exciting activities include: skiing, snowboarding, winter tubing, snow coach dinner tours, torch light parades, summer scenic chairlift rides, summer mountain tubing, 18 hole mountain top disc golf, mountain biking, hiking, and fishing.
Durant, Oklahoma
5 attraction reviews
“Good times with an old friend.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

December 2011 was the first time i visited Red River Ski Area with my family and we had such a great experience i decided to return in 2013. This time i called an old friend that i grew up with in Colorado and asked him to go. We had zero lift lines and the people were very friendly. Red River is perfect if you like small town atmosphere good skiing for all ability levels and friend and family fun!

Lubbock, Texas
“Unique Activity and Good Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Good choice for a unique activity. Riding in the coach was fun for everyone in our family. The dinner was the best we had during our trip. Ribeye was cooked perfectly and salmon was also very good.

Central TX
“A comparison between RR & Angel Fire”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This was our first trip to Red River. We were there for 3 days during Spring break (3/17/2013) but because our week off was a week later than most, it turned out to be a blessing - we actually missed the usual Spring break crowds. That meant that the mountain was not as crowded and there were practically no lines at the chairlifts. It was also the last week of operations at RR. Now, that I've skied at RR, this is how I feel it compares to Angel Fire (AF):
- Starting with the resort's parking area, I would say that RR has more ample parking space than AF and you don't have to walk as far to the base area.
- This is also a little thing I noticed, at AF, to actually get onto the base area, you have to climb a whole lot more steps and the climb seems to be steeper compared to RR. If you have your ski boots on and carrying a pair of skis, every step you have to climb counts!
- As for the layout of the mountain, I think AF beats RR. The main chairlift to the top is right at the central base area at AF whereas at RR, it is not, from the central base area, you have to take a chairlift to an upper level and then ski across to get to the Platinum chairlift and there is a section which is a bit steep if you're just a beginner. The back side of the RR mountain is wonderful! There were many greens and a few blues. They are not very long runs though. The wonderful part is that the runs run amongst many tall trees giving it a very enchanting atmosphere. They even have a picnic table up there, a great place to take a break and soak it all in!!! On the other hand, the easiest way down the mountain which is a green run is not so easy all the way. Many parts of the run cross blues and blacks, making those spots quite steep. While I was on that run one time, I saw a lady walking down part of it because it was just too steep for her. AF has a pretty good green run down the mountain, you can ski it with no poles needed, even for beginners!
- Price-wise, I think AF offered more competitive lift ticket prices. When we were there in 2011, the 3 kids with our group did not need lift tickets because they were below 7. RR did not have such a deal.
But all in all, we enjoyed ourselves. Now that we've been to both ski resorts, it's going to be a tough decision as to which resort we pick the next time we head that way. I guess it will all have to depend on which gets more snow, pricing and accomodation.

Shawnee, Oklahoma
“Friendliest Ski Resort Around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We were in RR for the last 5 days of their ski season. Everyone at the resort was extremely helpful and polite. It had been 20 years since I last skied, so I took a lesson from Rich. He was very positive and gave you simple things to work on. The snow was icy and it made many of the trails more difficult. Our daughter, 12, was a first time skier. There are some great green runs on the backside around the green chairlift. The problem is getting down the mountain. Due to the icy conditions, the "Easy Way Down" run would have been way too difficult for a beginner to navigate. That limited her to the Gold lift only. That is the only thing that keeps them from getting an excellent.

stillwater oklahoma
3 attraction reviews
“Spring Break 2013”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Red River is a great family friendly ski town. I have been skiing Red River on and off over the last 35 years. Now that I have a family of my own, we are very comfortable taking our family to ski in Red River. I say it is the most kid friendly ski town I have ever visited.