“"Best" Best Western” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Raton
Houston, Texas
“"Best" Best Western”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We traveled through Raton on our way to Colorado, took many photos of some old "Norman Bates" lovingly nicknamed by us motels. On our way back to Texas we decided to spend the night in Raton. We checked Tripadvisor for ideas and decided on the Best Western. Very pleased to say the least. Felt more like we were still on vacation rather than a place to stay for the night to break up our long drive. The lobby hosted this magnificent tree sculpture of a native Indian. (See photo). The Hotel had obviously been renovated. Very clean and trendy with a comforting feel. Our room had a door leading from the parking lot to our room as well as a door inside our room leading to a beautifuly landscaped courtyard with pool. We had dinner and drinks at the restaurant in the Hotel. The green chili chicken alfredo was great and the blue agave margarita was as well. I'm a margarita snob so I was thrilled it was so good. Our room was quiet, the beds were very comfortable and the room was well appointed. We also enjoyed a lovely breakfast included in the room price. Many choices, scrambled eggs, sausage, assorted pastries, waffles, cereal, yogurt, bagels and more. After breakfast, we drove to a nearby supermarket referred to us by our server the night before. We purchased a bushel of Hatch Green Chilies to bring home, only $14! Loved feeling like we were still on vacation on our stop over for the drive home. Hope opportunity arises so we may visit again! Fantastic value!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Andover, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed here recently while travelling in the area. The hotel is very well-kept and spotlessly clean. Customer service was friendly.
As otther reviews have commented, the rooms are VERY dim, even with all the lights on. The rooms are quite spacious though. The AAA rate was somewhat high.
The bar/restaurant on site was also quite good. We had a light meal at the bar with adult beverages, and really enjoyed ourselves.
We also had a nice breakfast in the morning.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

Staff were all very pleasant, the room was very clean (and I am picky)
Resturant/bar was good food and good service. Loved not having to go out again after checking in. Will stay again on reverse trip.

• Stayed September 2012
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We arrived to this hotel and were told that the room we had orginally rented (a king suite) had been double booked. At first we were not very happy but the staff was extremely apologetic and took us to look at another available room which they gave us at a discounted rate. We were pleasantly surprised to find a nice king room with plenty of space. A little dark but very clean and even the TV remote is a special sanitized version. Our room was right by the pool, which was noisy at first but by night time was very quiet. The hotel looked like it had been newly renovated and was quite comfortable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

It was obvious from the minute we walked in the front door that this hotel was newly renovated. The lobby was warm, inviting, and incorporated the feel of northern New Mexico very well. The front desk staff was courteous, friendly and helpful... even a good sense of dry humor to keep up with us! The restaurant/bar was great... very open with lots of natural lighting and the food and service were outstanding. Our room was very well appointed and, again, newly renovated. It was a very comfortable stay for us and we will certainly consider a return visit if/when we pass through that area again. Thank you!!

Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

My expectations were certainly exceeded at this Best Western in Raton. The facility was recently remodeled (meshes well with the northern NM terrain); was extremely clean (even the TV remote was one of the new ‘sanitized daily’ variety; was manned by courteous and helpful staff and was value priced (I have paid much more in rural area hotels and received much less).
We had dinner and breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The food was very good and the staff attentive. The fitness area was well equipped. It and the common areas were spotless. When passing through northern New Mexico/southern Colorado, I will visit this hotel again. It was a superlative experience!

west virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is a very nice, well-maintained facilty, but with some quirks.

First quirk - I was told by the check-in clerk that I could park right outside my door. Well, not quite - there were handicapped spaces right outside my door. But that was OK - I parked a little distance away. However, I noticed as I approached the building that there were no windows. No windows??? I opened the door and saw an open door and a window across the room from me. The rooms have two doors - one opening onto the parking lot, and one opening into an interior courtyard. The only window opens onto the courtyard, which means there is no natural light in the room.

That would be fine, except for the second quirk - in spite of numerous lamps in my room, the room lighting was extraordinarily dim. I turned on all the lights and still struggled to find things in my suitcase. Reading was out of the question. The courtyard itself, while attractive, was also dimly lit. The brightest light was the one over the sink, but that didn't really help me within the room itself.

I'm going to state, for the record, that the room seemed clean. But would I have known if it were dirty, in that light? Certainly the bathroom, where I could actually see, was clean.

The room was well-appointed, with fridge, microwave, coffee maker, large TV. The toiletries provided were nice quality - soaps, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, and lotion from Bath and Body Works. The WiFi worked well. There was a curtain liner that completely blocked the (minimal) light from the courtyard overnight and gave me complete privacy. I was concerned that my room was beside an outdoor metal staircase, but the sound didn't bother me during the night. The courtyard area had a long carpet runner beside the room doors so I didn't hear footsteps in the courtyard. The AC had complicated instructions, but there seemed to be no way to have the AC fan running continuously - I never sleep as well when it's cycling off and on. The bed was quite comfortable.

I used the fitness room, and it was fine, although not extensively equipped.

Breakfast was nice. You had your choice of buffet items, or they would bring you pancakes or waffles. I had ordered a waffle before I discovered that they had yogurt and fruit, which would have been my breakfast of choice, in a dim (!!!) corner of the buffet area.

Another quirk - I went to the lobby after checking in, looking for brochures and maps of the Raton area. Every other motel/hotel I've stayed in has a brochure rack, or brochures at the main desk. I saw nothing, so I asked. They pointed me to a table that had a magazine on it and said "maybe there is a map in there." No maps??? I had to resort to my phone (thanks, at least, to the good WiFi) to find where I was going. It's not a complicated town, but still, I'd never been there before.

Basically, I spent a very comfortable night here, and had an excellent breakfast. So I'm giving it a "very good" rating. But I'm not sure I could stand multiple nights with such dim lighting. It may not bother you. But for the price, around $121/night including taxes, I would have liked a little more light.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to BEST WESTERN Plus Raton Hotel? Share your experiences!