“Superlative” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Raton
Portland, Maine
“Superlative”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

My expectations were certainly exceeded at this Best Western in Raton. The facility was recently remodeled (meshes well with the northern NM terrain); was extremely clean (even the TV remote was one of the new ‘sanitized daily’ variety; was manned by courteous and helpful staff and was value priced (I have paid much more in rural area hotels and received much less).
We had dinner and breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The food was very good and the staff attentive. The fitness area was well equipped. It and the common areas were spotless. When passing through northern New Mexico/southern Colorado, I will visit this hotel again. It was a superlative experience!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
west virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is a very nice, well-maintained facilty, but with some quirks.

First quirk - I was told by the check-in clerk that I could park right outside my door. Well, not quite - there were handicapped spaces right outside my door. But that was OK - I parked a little distance away. However, I noticed as I approached the building that there were no windows. No windows??? I opened the door and saw an open door and a window across the room from me. The rooms have two doors - one opening onto the parking lot, and one opening into an interior courtyard. The only window opens onto the courtyard, which means there is no natural light in the room.

That would be fine, except for the second quirk - in spite of numerous lamps in my room, the room lighting was extraordinarily dim. I turned on all the lights and still struggled to find things in my suitcase. Reading was out of the question. The courtyard itself, while attractive, was also dimly lit. The brightest light was the one over the sink, but that didn't really help me within the room itself.

I'm going to state, for the record, that the room seemed clean. But would I have known if it were dirty, in that light? Certainly the bathroom, where I could actually see, was clean.

The room was well-appointed, with fridge, microwave, coffee maker, large TV. The toiletries provided were nice quality - soaps, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, and lotion from Bath and Body Works. The WiFi worked well. There was a curtain liner that completely blocked the (minimal) light from the courtyard overnight and gave me complete privacy. I was concerned that my room was beside an outdoor metal staircase, but the sound didn't bother me during the night. The courtyard area had a long carpet runner beside the room doors so I didn't hear footsteps in the courtyard. The AC had complicated instructions, but there seemed to be no way to have the AC fan running continuously - I never sleep as well when it's cycling off and on. The bed was quite comfortable.

I used the fitness room, and it was fine, although not extensively equipped.

Breakfast was nice. You had your choice of buffet items, or they would bring you pancakes or waffles. I had ordered a waffle before I discovered that they had yogurt and fruit, which would have been my breakfast of choice, in a dim (!!!) corner of the buffet area.

Another quirk - I went to the lobby after checking in, looking for brochures and maps of the Raton area. Every other motel/hotel I've stayed in has a brochure rack, or brochures at the main desk. I saw nothing, so I asked. They pointed me to a table that had a magazine on it and said "maybe there is a map in there." No maps??? I had to resort to my phone (thanks, at least, to the good WiFi) to find where I was going. It's not a complicated town, but still, I'd never been there before.

Basically, I spent a very comfortable night here, and had an excellent breakfast. So I'm giving it a "very good" rating. But I'm not sure I could stand multiple nights with such dim lighting. It may not bother you. But for the price, around $121/night including taxes, I would have liked a little more light.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Plano, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We discovered this hotel on the way from Texas to Colorado late one night. What a great find. We needed a handicap room and a place that would take us with our two dogs. This is it. The room is large, clean and full of amenities. Refrigerator and Microwave. The pillows are incredibly comfortable. The breakfast, included in the reasonable room charge, is wonderful. Not the usual cereal and fruit. Waffles, eggs, biscuits, etc. The staff and the waitresses are always friendly and competent. Needless to say, we now make this our regular stop on our annual visit to Colorado - even tho the drive is long. This last visit, we forgot my husband's shave cream and my hair spray. Not to worry. They have them. The added benefit is its location. Easy in, easy out and a variety of restaurants within walking distance.

Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I have heard a lot of good things about this Newly remodeled Hotel, I have even had my family stay at this Hotel since the remodel. I was traveling All day and needed a good nights sleep... However, Let me warn you about the Saran wrap windows which face the interior of the hotel, And you hear every little sound in the A.M. Especially around 8:00, I don't know if they intentionally do it on purpose to get there guest UP and AT'EM... But they had employees who are running floor cleaners that will wake you UP. I was Not at All pleased with this unpleasant noise which woke me up Early. I had even mentioned it to the Hotel Clerk at the front desk and All they could say was "Sorry!" I had planned on staying One More Night at the Hotel, But after experiencing the unfortunate noise levels, I decided to stay somewhere else. I was really looking forward to writing a Good Review, But... Until they spend the extra money to upgrade the interior windows, I won't be spending my money here. Sincerely, _Restless Night!

Room Tip: All Rooms that have Interior Windows, They are really thing windows!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
bwratongm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Plus Raton Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
First, we are always disappointed to hear of a guest having a negative experience at the Hotel. We find that every guest has a unique sense of importance for their stay and that we need to constantly expand and readdress our operations from these guest observations.

With that said we would like to address several of your comments.

Your comment about "Saran wrap windows" flies in the face of the building codes and fire codes we had to address to receive the various permits to open the Hotel after the remodel. The windows are not double paned, in that those are purchased and utilized for exterior/cold weather issues. Since these windows are inside the courtyard, the single pane were approved and in compliance with code. When having meetings with the architect and structural engineer, a specific discussion was had about courtyard/pool noise. The rebuttal was that each room has an HVAC unit under the window. The ambient hum from this unit, plus TV volume would suppress the majority of any noise coming from the courtyard/pool area, unless there was a boisterous group standing right outside the door. It should be noted the pool is closed at 9:00 PM every evening, for guest considerations. It was also noted that noise should be expected to filter in from around the door frames, since the windows are sealed. If you want a quiet night's sleep and turned off the HVAC unit, you probably heard more noises coming from the courtyard.

Regarding your 8:00 AM, "Up and ATEM" and" which woke me up Early" comments, our housekeeping staff is not allowed to clock in before 8:00 AM. There is then a housekeeping meeting with rooms assigned and other appropriate assignments made to addree any guest comments or needs submitted to the front desk. The staff is then dismissed from this meeting around 8:15 AM. Also, there is an internal rule that there is no vacuming before 9:30 AM. This 9:30 rule was set given the free guest breaklfast ends at 10:00 AM. If you were trying to sleep after 9:30 AM, then the vacuming by the housekeeping staff after this time is appropriate.

We appreciate every guest comment and adjust our operations if possible from these comments and in return provide our insights to these comments with the intent for these to be helpful in addressing and defining future guest expectations.
Lubbock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed twice at the Best Western Plus, Raton, New Mexico, this past week on a car trip to Colorado. As soon as you arrive until you leave, you will be pleasantly surprised at this jewel of a hotel on I-25. The cleanliness of our room and the common areas were superb. The staff was friendly, helpful and attentive. The best place to stay when coming from Texas and heading to Colorado.

Saginaw, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Good place to relax after a long drive. Beds were clean and comfortable and the room passed my wife's Bed Bug Registry qualifications. the room had a fridge, microwave and the indoor pool was a blessing after being in the car for 10 hours. Would stay there again but about the only negative thing that I have to say is that it was next to impossible to get a really GOOD coffee in Raton.

Room Tip: Rooms were clean and passed my wife's Bed Bug Registry qualifications. Had a great indoor pool t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Littleton, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

The location is very convenient. The room was exceptionally clean and comfortable. The front and rear entrance to the room gives a secure feeling in case of emergency. We thought the breakfast was much better than average with personalized service from the staff. It was a warm welcome and all the staff was friendly. Both my husband and I would highly recommend this fine hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Plus Raton Hotel? Share your experiences!