“Another great experience at VPR” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Vermejo Park Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Raton
Vermejo Park Ranch
You added Vermejo Park Ranch to your Saves list
40 Miles W Hwy 555, P.O. Drawer E, Raton, NM 87740   |
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Raton
San Antonio, Texas
“Another great experience at VPR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Joined our son on his bear hunt. As always we thoroughly enjoyed the stay. The food was outstanding this trip and service was excellent. Just to comment on a previous review about the accommodations, the cottages were built on the ranch in the early 1900's. All have been remodeled and renovated to modern standards while keeping true to their original character. We have always appreciated the authenticity of the cottages and find them very comfortable. If you prefer new, then the Costilla lodge is first class.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
VermejoParkRanch, Public Relations Manager at Vermejo Park Ranch, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Although a bit tardy, Vermejo wants to thank you for your support and positive comments! We are gearing up for another (and earlier!) bear hunt in just a few short days. We look forward to hopefully hosting you again!

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Lubbock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I just completed my 6th stay at Vermejo! The ranch is stunningly beautiful! Ted Turner returned the Ranch to its natural state...no fencing and beautiful grassland meadows filled with wildlife surrounded by stunning mountain views. This trip I saw literally hundreds of cow elk and their calves as well as three gorgeous bull elk in velvet, several eagles, many deer, buffalo, chipmunks and a bear. I go to Vermejo to fish and the fishing opportunities are amazing. There are a number of great fishing lakes both large and small and stream fishing as well. I have always caught fish at Vermejo...usually in excess of a dozen a day. The meals and accomodations are wonderful. You can look forward to five star meals each evening, a wonderful breakfast buffet and lunch either packed to go with you fishing or you can come in for a nice lunch on the patio. Vermejo is a very old lodge full of wonderful history thus the rooms are older but very spacious and comfortable. They are in older homes...very nice. I LOVE staying there!!

Overall, a GREAT place to vacation!!!!!

Room Tip: Casa Minor is my favorite place to stay there!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Oakland, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

My first trip to VPR was back in 2008 when I was high bidder for a turkey hunt donated by VPR to the Wild Turkey Federation. Upon arrival I was amazed at the scenery. It is such a beautiful place. On my turkey hunt I took 2 turkeys and spent my afternoon's fishing. In 3 afternoon's of fishing in mid April I caught 66 trout. The food, service, employees, everything, is absolutely amazing. Having had such a wonderful experience I went back to VPR in 2010 and took my 20 year old son. We spent 3 days fishing. Caught some great trout. We saw many black bears, which as luck would have it were all brown colored. We saw tons of buffalo, mule deer and elk. I will return yet again one day. It's a great place. I'm thankful to Mr. Ted Turner for keeping this portion of the west as it once was!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We have stayed and fished at Vermejo many times and it keeps getting better. Ted Turner has made this ranch more like a National Park, with elk, buffalo, bear, deer, and we even saw a mountain lion. Fishing is always good and of course the scenery is gorgeous. This trip we stayed in Costilla Lodge for the first time. It was fabulous. The food and service were excellent. After having traveled thruout North Dakota, Montana, and Wyoming, I can still say Vermejo is my favorite of all.

Room Tip: Check with the lodge they will make a special deal for your 1st nite if space is available.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011 via mobile

Unquestionably one of the most incredible scenic ranches in the United States. For an Orvis endorsed property the accommodations are below that of a Holiday Inn Express. If you are an avid big game hunter this is one of the premier places for a trophy. They need to improve the accommodations to market this as a year around property and one that caters to different interests.

• Stayed August 2011
VermejoParkRanch, Public Relations Manager at Vermejo Park Ranch, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for your contribution! You are right- in the past Vermejo Park Ranch (VPR) has operated solely as a hunting and fishing retreat designed for those that were more interested in spending time in our great outdoors than in their rooms, and because of this, forgave our sub-par accommodations. In the last few years VPR has recognized this and are working on upping the anty. Not only have we started renovations on our guest housing, but our programming has taken several new and exciting turns! We still offer hunting and fishing during select seasons but we also have much, much more.
As of 2011, VPR has a winter guest season, Winter Escape, featured at Costilla Lodge in January, February and March. Activities such as snowshoeing, Nordic skiing, ice fishing, cooking courses, and photography tours are offered.
We have many similar programs slotted for the 2014 summer season including photography tours and for the extreme outdoors person, a 4 in 5 tour: hike 4 major NM peaks in 5 days!
Programs like these are all tied into our summer Outdoor Exploration program which focuses on engaging in the historic and natural diversity offered in this part of the U.S.
I can understand your hesitation to return, but should you be seeking something a bit more unique (and with softer towels!), I encourage you to try us on once more. Thank you again for your feedback!
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

We didn't really know what to expect when we booked three nights at Vermejo Park Ranch but liked it so much, we stayed an extra night. Most of the guests at this Ted Turner property were there to fish. We were there to enjoy the birds and animals and the awe inspiring views.

We went out every day with a guide, James Reedy, who is the only guide that takes guests who want to bird into the field. We saw bears, coyotes, elk, bison, and were permitted to help catch prairie dogs which are being relocated as part of an effort to revive ferret populations on the ranch. James is a wonderful guide who patiently explained the history and archaeology of the ranch as well as the natural history. He graciously accommodated our request to be our guide on our extra day even though it meant giving up his day off. He is quite passionate about the out of doors and we enjoyed being with him each day.

We also visited with the bison herd manager and the forester which was really a marvelous opportunity for we three easterners to learn alot about animals and plants and ecosystems not in our own back yards.

The chef at Vermejo is marvelous - we looked forward to his dinners each evening which we ate on the veranda. At the evening meal, you fill out a card indicating what you would like to eat for lunch the next day. A bag lunch is prepared and your guide picks it up for you. There are unlimited amounts of treats, water, and snack food available throughout the day.

The rooms are comfortable although in such a setting, we seldom spent any time in them preferring to be out of doors.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

My first trip to VPR was in April of 2007 for a turkey hunt. It only took one day to get my 2 turkey limit. Because I had such a wonderful time I took my soon back last August, 2008. We went for a fishing trip.

To get to VPR it is easiest to fly into Colorado Springs then make the 3+ hr drive down. My son and I flew out the day before our fishing trip then spent the night in Raton. There are many nice places in Raton to stay. From Raton it is about a 45 minute drive back to VPR.

Meals at the ranch were wonderful. A great selection for breakfast and dinner. Lunch could either be at the lodge, or a very nice packed lunch. They kept baskets of fruit, chips, and candy bars for you to take as you wanted. They also had a 2 door cooler for drinks..such as soda, juices and water.

The first time I was out I caught 69 trout in 3 afternoons, when I returned with my son we caught 18 trout each in 3 afternoons. My largest trout was a 6 lbs rainbow, the same for my son.

Scenery in and around the park is breathtaking. We saw lots of elk, muledeer, turkey, buffalo, and bears. All 8 bears my son and I saw were brown colored versions. Getting around the park is easy. Rooms did not have TV's in them, but quite frankly, that was great for us. They do have TV's in the lodge, a laptop to check email, and a bar open in the evenings for before and after dinner drinks.

I am really hoping to return again one day. It is such a wonderful place. Thanks to Mr. Jim Baker and Mrs. Gleason for making my trip the success it was.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family

Been to Vermejo Park Ranch? Share your experiences!