“The best meal I have had in Raton” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 29 Restaurants in Raton
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Hamburgers, Steakhouse, Wine Bar
“The best meal I have had in Raton”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

I had heard slightly mixed things about the Ice House. I had been told the food was good but that the service was rather patchy, but I was willing to give it a go. The food was definitely the best I have had in Raton, which probably does not do them any favours. The ribs I had were excellent, loads of meat and a lovely smokey dry rub. Like most US portions, my half a rack was huge and the fries were nicely cooked, albeit far too many of them, served with a tasty small bowl of corn with green chilli. The service was almost over the top, in that a couple of the group I went with had been there before and had had an unhappy experience and the girl, (who seemed to be pretty much in charge), who served us bent over backwards to ensure we were happy. The steaks that some of the party had were cooked to their specification and were very well seasoned and great quality. Definitely going back there at some point in the trip.

Visited August 2013

Harrisonburg
“Tasty accident”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Driving through Raton at lunch time on Saturday (not open for lunch through the week) we saw the Ice House and decided to take a chance. What a wonderful accidental discovery. I had the brisket sandwich with a salad. The salad was fresh and crisp and the tequila/lime dressing was quite good. As for the brisket....it was by far the best I have ever eaten. There was a selection of sauces but the brisket was so good that it did not need any sauce (however the Tennessee Red was my favorite even though the sweet and the hot BBQ sauces were also quite good).
The wait staff was friendly and efficient which made a great dining experience.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
El Paso, Texas, United States
“Newly reopened Raton gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was our last day in Raton after competing at the Whittington Center, and our four-person team asked around about a good place for a celebratory meal. We got many recommendations for the Ice House, so decided to check it out.

I asked for the ribeye, rare, and was not disappointed. Most times when I order "rare" I get medium. The steak was cooked perfectly. Mashed potatoes ordered as one of two sides were freshly made with red potatoes, skins and all - very good! Green beans were obviously from a can, so if I could make one recommendation it would be to find a local produce grower (or encourage one to start) and use fresh vegetables as with the potatoes. They had a couple of pie selections as specials for dessert. I ordered the apple and my husband the pecan - both were excellent and homemade. As my husband has an allergy to milk, they even called their baker to ask about milk content (none! yay! Usually he has to skip dessert). The wait staff was a little less than stellar, but the owner made regular rounds to try to keep things running smoothly in this very busy restaurant. He told me they had reopened only 8 days prior and were still dealing with issues. Given this, I think the restaurant is doing an awesome job and everyone in our party enjoyed the food immensely. My only suggestion would be to brighten the interior a bit; the area where we ate the walls were actually painted black. :( I think a warm tan would do much better to brighten things up a bit but still leave the homey atmosphere.

Usually, to have a decent meal while in Raton we'd simply drive up to Trinidad, but with the Ice House we can now eat locally for our end-of-match celebrations.

• Visited July 2013