“Hiking in Sugarite Canyon State Park” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 7 Attractions in Raton
Type: State Parks, Outdoors
Houston, Texas
“Hiking in Sugarite Canyon State Park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Very nice hike; sad how much of the area was devastated by a fire that occurred a few years ago. The lake itself is beautiful.

Amarillo, Texas
3 attraction reviews
“Solo camping trip to Sugarite Canyon State Park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

My wife and little girls were taking their first "mother-daughter" road trip to Dallas. I thought why not find a camping area close to Amarillo, TX (where we live) and go on a camping trip while "my girls" were gone. We have a 34' Prime Time travel trailer so my plans were to scout somewhere we might go camping as a family in the future. I wanted somewhere in the mountains, it needed water and elec. hook-ups, and I was hoping to do some trout fishing. After searching the internet I found Sugarite Canyon State Park had one site available for the weekend I was looking for. I stayed in the Lake Alice Camp Ground (Site #6) for three days. It was PERFECT! It actually was one of the few sites that had a sewer hook-up as well. For long and big RV's and trailers it can be tough getting in and out. It was a bit tricky backing in to my site but after I got set-up I could not have enjoyed my camping experience more! There were tons of hummingbirds which our family loves. There is Lake Alice and Lake Maloya nearby for trout fishing. I enjoyed Lake Maloya the most. I enjoyed just sitting in my lawn chair enjoying the view as much as I enjoyed the fishing. If you choose there is an area north of Lake Maloya where you can park and hike up 1/4 mile to Colorado's Lake Dorothy. I did this and really enjoyed the walk. There is another camp ground in Sugarite Canyon State Park called Soda Pocket. This camp ground has been totally restored as there was a huge fire up there in 2010 I believe. There are some really great camp sites there with easy access but NO HOOK-UP's at Soda Pocket. Be aware that if you are taking young kids there is no playground equipment at either campground. Restrooms were clean and although showers were down on main road they were very well maintained (by visitors center). There is an old coal mining camp nearby you can explore as well! If you are looking for a beautiful mountain setting in a peaceful environment I would highly recommend this park!

Bullhead City, Arizona, United States
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Beautiful country, camping, boating, hiking trails.
and don't call it sugar right, cause it's sugar it LOL

Raton, New Mexico, United States
3 attraction reviews
“One of the most beautiful places in America!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Sugarite is truly a hidden gem. There is much to do there, including hiking, fishing, horseback riding, exploring, even ice skating and sled riding in the winter! Lots of wildlife, and plenty of history to see there, as well.

Wichita Falls, TX
“We saw it all!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We tent camped 3 nights in Sugarite at the Soda Pocket camp area. They are in the process of rebuilding camp sites due fire (2 years ago). New sites have large concrete slabs, nice tables
and heavy bear boxes for storage. The hummingbirds helped us mix their sugar water. We saw bear, elk, mule deer, turkey and many different birds. Camp was appox. 2 miles from pavement. It was visited each day by rangers and camp host. Gate was locked at night. Restrooms were clean and although showers were down on main road they were very well maintained. Fishing was very good and day pass to lake was included in campsite fee. Park is close to town for shopping and dining convenience. A very quiet and relaxing location.

Visited June 2013