“Try Local” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Mexican
Phoenix
“Try Local”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We were on our way to Denver and decided to jump off the freeway and see if we could find some good New Mexico food. After driving around town a little we settled in on the Sands. It was early about 1100 hours and we were the first ones in there. My first impression upon walking in was that it smelled of old grease. I tried hard to ignore the smell because little places like this have a habit of putting out great food. And yes, this was the case.

I had the grilled chicken burrito. It was only seasoned chicken inside with a light green sauce on the outside. Very zesty and tasty. My wife had the cheese enchilada and it to was very good. The beans and rice were also outstanding, not just something extra that is thrown on the plate by many other Mexican restaurants. The salsa was also extremely good. Don't be afraid it is not that hot. But very light and flavorable. You also get bottomless chips. The waitress was very attentive and continued to be so even as the place filled up.

The price was about $20 for both of us. This included two drinks.

Nice stop and left really full.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

new orleans
“Excellent New Mexican cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

First I need to address the service problems in Raton. The town is very much a retirement community with the kids leaving this area when they go off to college. That said the service people are almost entirely young women, not exceptionally astute in fine dining but I found, always friendly. It does not help that the management for one reason or another stretches their abilities beyond the limit. I witnessed one young lady taking care of 8 plus tables at a time ( at another restaurant).

The food here was very good. When we got there for dinner (they eat early here in Raton) the dining room was filled with locals...always a great sign. We got the combo plate with chicken taco, chili relleno and enchilada. We were happy with everything and everyone around us appeared to also.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Arapaho
“Stop and enjoy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

We picked the Sands for dinner based on Trip Advisor and we really enjoyed the meal. The service was excellent, always stopping to refill anything you needed. Great spot to eat. Food was excellent as well.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
“Still Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The last time I stayed at the same motel and ate the restaurant was in 1966! Still great, motel is Retro, but very clean and is still nice. I have not had such great food since I was in Mexico--Chips and Salsa "None Better". I would recommend getting off I-25 just to eat here!

Abilene, Texas
“Best Mexican Food I've Had in Awhile !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I was staying next door and asked the desk clerk about this place - she gave it a good rec, so I tried it based on her say so and the number of cars in front.
Good choice ! The owner, Mauricio, is from El Salvador but has been in the US for a couple of decades and mastered southwestern Tex-Mex. The enchiladas (cheese) were the best I can remember - and I eat a lot of enchiladas ! The beans were homemade and fresh, ditto the rice and guacamole. I was seated near the kitchen so I got to see a lot of other plates and they all looked good, including the fajitas and the steaks.
Service was excellent. A beautiful young lady took my order and I noted a slight accent, so asked where she was from. The Ukraine, been here about a month. Had great English, exquisite manners. I welcomed her to the US and wished her well.
Visited with the owner - he obviously takes a lot of pride in his people and his food and it shows. I'll return next time I'm in Raton.