“to die for” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Taos, New Mexico
“to die for”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

the red chile is to DIE for!!!!thia is one of our favorite spots to eat in our little hometown,i just wish i could replicate their red chile,I have tried and tried but I just cant get it,OH well it just gives us more reason to go back!!!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

91% Recommend
Sanger, Texas
“Thought it would be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My enchiladas were good but not exceptional and the Chili Relleno that my husband had was not spicy at all, even with the green chili sauce on top. The Chili Relleno was also coated with way too much batter....had to peel it off to improve the flavor. On a possitive note: The patio is nice and the chips, guacamole and pico are excellent. Service was great. So not all bad but could have been better.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
“Slow, but worth the wait.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My husband don't agree on the best enchiladas we had in New Mexico but this one gets my vote. He had the cheese enchiladas Christmas style and I had the vegetarian green chile sauce on my enchiladas. Both were delicious without to much heat in the sauce. The meal came with the biggest sopapillas we had ever seen and they were delicious. The service was not great. It was mid-afternoon and we got the impression they didn't care if we were there or not. Also, the cleanliness of the place was a little less than we would have liked. But with enchiladas like these we could overlook almost any shortcoming.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Taos
“Yummy authentic New Mexican food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Had lunch with a friend, sat outside on the patio. I had a chili rellano and chicken taco, my friend had green chili chicken enchaladas, food superb, highly recommend.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles
“Dunno what I had, but I loved it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Well - it was either pork or beef, but I don't know which, but frankly? It doesn't matter - whatever it was, it was GOOD. Like, really good. It was the "Adovada" plate, a tender, thin cut of meat that was covered in red chile. Yes it came with beans and rice and salad, but I barely noticed: one bite of that meat, covered in that sauce... the sauce... oooooh, the sauce... and I only had eyes for my main event: the meat.

Once I realized that I was almost halfway through it and hadn't come up for air, I reluctantly set down my fork and (after granting my body a nice deep breath) took a minute to soak in the night. I was sitting outside, in a sweet albeit undecorative courtyard under a blanket of clouds through which the stars were anxious to shine through. I wished for some candles rather than the stark lights, but willingly forwent the candles for the pretty night. Enough already! That meat and it's sauce await! I stuck my fork back in and didn't come back up until it was in my belly.

I had good, friendly service, and really good food with incredible sauce at a great price. It feels homey, and local, and authentic. I wish there were more plates on the menu (lots of burritos, and enchiladas, and - pasta? - but not a lot of 'plates'), and chips and salsa was a whopping $5, but I did appreciate the sopapilla that came with my meal.

I'm staying very close to here, and I'll definitely return, so long as they don't have a policy against bathing in the sauce. :)

• 4 of 5 stars Food