“Definitely worth a visit” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: The Sky City Cultural Center and Haak’u Museum, rich in cultural architecture, serves as the reception center and museum for visitors to the Pueblo of Acoma, as well as a research and community use facility for tribal members. The primary 40,000 square foot Cultural Center is a two story structure with a basement and central courtyard/plaza area. The Cultural Center was designed to represent and recreate the ancestral architectural styles of the Acoma people – which include natural stacked stone and natural mud plastered adobe – while showcasing Acoma Pueblo architecture both past and present. This world class facility is dedicated to the preservation of Acoma history, traditional pottery and other art forms, the repatriation of objects of cultural patrimony and the development of both educational and interpretive programs.
Boulder, Colorado
11 attraction reviews
“Definitely worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2014 NEW

The cultural center building is new, very well maintained, with great art and exhibits, and an excellent cafe. But sign up for the tour up to Sky City. Our guide was very honest, frank, well-educated. I learned a lot, and wish the Acoma tribe well, and thank them for their hospitality.

This is not like a visit to a national park or Disney World. You are visiting what is, in some respects, a foreign country with its own pride, culture, art, and rules of behavior. Enjoy seeing history from a different perspective. Recommended and fascinating!
One protocol: ask before you take someone's picture. If they say yes, take the picture AND give them a couple of dollars.

Visited September 2014

northern california
12 attraction reviews
“This is an important experience for any visitor to New Mexico”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2014

There is so much to understand about the Native American experience that can only be appreciated from exposure to an experience like this! Each visit to this amazing community humbles me even more; the guides are clearly proud of their heritage, and eager to share the story of their culture to increase understanding of historical trauma. The story of this pueblo, and its peoples, provides tremendous insight into so much of what Americans struggle with every day. I wish every citizen could be exposed to an experience like this.

Visited November 2014
SkyCity_C_C, Director at Sky City Cultural Center, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
amycnm, I am glad to know that your visit to our pueblo was "the Best Native American Experience!" We received this designation from the readers of USA TODAY and 10 Best and we hope that we lived up to that designation. Our young guides are proud of who they are and are eager to share our history and culture. We look forward to having you here during one of our feast days so you can further experience our culture!
Escalante
6 attraction reviews
“A step back in time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2014

I loved just about everything about the pueblo. Its really like no other I have ever visited. I am surprised they let people walk through it on a tour. Its the sort of place I would have wanted to keep to myself if I was a native of Acoma!

Visited November 2014
EscalanteBeezy, Thank you for your review and I'm glad to know that you enjoyed the visit to "Sky City"! We have a lot of history to share to enhance the visitors experience. We hope you come and visit during one of our feast days!
“Very disappointing first visit”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2014

We went to the Cultural Center to see a cultural exchange exhibit that was advertised to start at 9:00 am. We arrived at 10:00 am and were told that it was not ready. We were also told that the cafe was not open, but that we could see the museum. We were charged $4 each, admission, and went and saw their very small museum that was showing the work of two artists.
A half hour later, we went to their cafe and were told that we could only purchase coffee. The staff was less than friendly and seemed put out by our presence.

After we had our coffee, we again went out to check on the cultural exchange exhibit, and were told that they 'had no idea' when it might begin. There was no attempt on the part of the Cultural Center staff to provide any more information than that, and they seemed very uninterested in the fact that we can come out to see this exhibit, paid our admission fee, and there was nothing to see.

We ended up leaving. I would think twice before making the drive out to the Cultural Center again. It is a lovely building, but the staff is uncaring and unprofessional.

Visited November 2014
Sandra N, I sincerely apologize for the conduct of my staff on the day of your visit. I will re-educate them on the importance of customer service and ensure this does not happen to others that visit. The cultural exchange was with the Drepung Gomang Monks and they were in our classroom finishing up the mandala and I hope you got to see their work.
Siegburg, Germany
5 attraction reviews
“Get a whiff of the "Ancients"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2014

Visiting ACOMA - Sky City while you are in the area is an excellent opportunity to take a (guided) tour around a living community of Puebloans who are believed to be the descendants of the ancient Anasazi. Sky City residents are generally more welcoming than the Hopi mesas - take Walpi - and is most certainly worth a detour. I suggest making Sky City a part of your "Four Corners Area tour.
Ulrich Klinge from Germany

Visited September 2014
Ulrich K, Vielen Dank for your comments and I am glad to know that you had a wonderful experience! Our people are more than happy to share our culture and hopefully that enhances our visitors experience.

Been to Sky City Cultural Center? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Sky City Cultural Center, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.