“Diamond in the rough” 4 of 5 stars

(505) 455-2855
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Pojoaque
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: "This is true New Mexican food. The best sopaipillas around. This is where the locals eat".
Los Alamos, New Mexico, United States
“Diamond in the rough”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

The sopapilla is one of Pojoaque's hot secrets. Expect good food, reasonable service, and a full belly. Hard to find better Mexican cuising in the surrounding area.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

RIO RANCHO
“An Excellent Choice For A Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

On returning from a visit to Bandelier we happened upon the Sopaipilla Factory truly by chance. It appeared to be a clean facility trafficked heavily by locals as many customers were conversing in Spanish. Seating was quick, the booth roomy (it would have seated 6). My Chile Rellenos had a different outer breading than I'm used to, one that was crusty rather than soft. Not bad just different. Apparently not all the seeds had been removed from one of the peppers resulting in quite a surprise when I bit into it. Again not bad just more than I expected. My wife enjoyed her Fajita Salad as did our son his Flautas. All items were around $10 so I would consider prices as quite reasonable. Service was friendly and attentive. The Sopaipillas were quite large and very good. Would we recommend it for goon New Mexican food? You Betcha!

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
USA
“Excellent service from genuinely friendly management and staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

The cuisine is New Mexican which is a tad to heavy on rice and beans for me. But you can substitute excellent steamed vegetables. In addition, there is a vegetarian menu with tofu substituted for meat.

The place is owned and run by two naturalized gentlemen of Mexican origin and it is where the locals -- 13th generation Hispanics -- eat. If you want a glimpse into the genuine Hispanic culture of Northern New Mexico, you might want to eat here. Santa Fe city is the Disneyworld version.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oxford, Ohio
“Quick service but food is ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

i tried the tofu blue corn enchillida and it was tasty. The sopaipilla was average which was disapointing. There are better around in the area. Service was fast and friendly. Location is convenient.

Visited December 2013
“Average, but beware of toothpicks in your food.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten at this location numerous times because it is a favorite spot for my MIL and who doesn't want to keep a MIL happy?
My parents are visiting from out of state and wanted to treat us to dinner. I deviated from my usual stuffed sopapailla and ordered the chicken tacquitos...bad choice.
The order came with 4 tacquitos and when biting into my second one, I chomped down on the end of a sharp wooden toothpick. I was a bit apprehensive to eat the rest of my meal and discretely notified the waitress. She held out her hand for the toothpick (gross, since I'd had it in my mouth) and said she'd tell the cooks. She came back, handed us the check and said she was sorry. Although I was appreciative of her apology and realize she personally did not prepare my meal, I was surprised that I was not offered a remake of the order or a gesture on the bill. We didn't want to cause a scene, so my parents paid full price for the meal and we left. I have to be honest that this mentality of "too bad, but it's your issue" is not uncommon in many food service establishments these days.
Luckily for them, I did not do any damage to my mouth or swallow the toothpick end, which could have been seriously damaging.

Other than a lack of customer service or concern, the food is your usual Mexican style food. Nothing pretentious and rather one note if you don't geek out on chilies like most New Mexicans. Staff is pleasant and attentive (but again, limited if you experience anything out of the ordinary).

• Visited October 2013