“Ten dollars for a bag of chips in their store” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ojo Caliente
Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
You added Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
50 Los Banos Rd, Highway 414, Ojo Caliente, NM 87549   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ojo Caliente
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rocky Mountains
“Ten dollars for a bag of chips in their store”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

Many many years ago, Ojo Caliente was a simple building with some private tubs across a dusty parking lot. Hotel rooms were added, and these have tripled in price since 2004. Just five years ago, 100 dollars was not cheap for a room either. These days, any kind of price sensitivity seems to have gone out the window.
A "resort" Ojo Caliente ain't. A spa? They try. Close to 300 dollars per room? Laughable.

It should have remained the rugged experience that it was, but there are not many $$$ to be made without the (in my opinion) slightly decadent 'pamper yourself' ideology. A typical HELOC economy place, in my opinion. If one is so inclined, park in the still dusty lot, use the pool, and overnight elsewhere. I did. The purpose of my trip had been to see how things change. Lots of attitude were added in this location, that's for sure.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Eagle, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

Stopped at Ojo Mineral Springs Spa for a soak and massage on way to Taos from several days of camping at Chaco Culture. I had never been to a bath house before so perhaps that is why I found things a little different then the spas I’ve visited in the past.

The odd things:
• I had to ask for an explanation of layout and pools, not part of the check in process.
• When I asked to include massage tip when paying for my treatment I was told that wasn’t possible.
• Bring a lock for your locker or pay $5 for one of theirs.
• Bring a robe - No robes available for day guest massage treatments. (When I asked for one the staff person acted like it was an inconvenience and remarked if they did that they would have to provide one for every guest.)

The good things:
• Wide selection of mineral pools with a wide range of temperatures to choose from.
• Amazing 50 minute massage.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

I agree with worldtravelers99 below. Like they said, there were "Whisper" signs everywhere, but even people in the pools were talking full volume. Even the employees who were quite loud at times. They advertise how "quiet" it is, but it is far from quiet. There were children there after 6:00pm and one quite annoying 3-4 year old girl who went with her mom everywhere. They were even in the suana area. That evening they were in the restaurant and finally, after they left, it became quiet.

The restaurant has good food, but poor service. It took about 10 minutes to even be noticed that I was waiting for a table and I had a reservation. After that it took about 15 minutes to even get a glass of water, and that was after I had to summon the waiter. Then they had just run out of the trout at 7:30 pm!! How disappointing. And all of the entrees are advertised as coming with either rice or potatoes. The waiter did not ask me which one I wanted, so I called him back. Then he said that the entree I ordered came with a different starch and that I could not get the potatoes.

I stayed for one night in a "cliffside" room for $297/night. Way overpriced for the value. The sheets and pillows were of substandard quality. No one offered to help with my luggage, they just pointed me in the general direction of the parking lot. There are no signs directing you anywhere.

I had a 50 minute massage by a therapist named Trevor. He was quite good so I asked him if he had time to do 80 minutes. He had to leave to check and said that no one was scheduled after me, but he could not do the 80 minutes due to the spa's rules - just in case someone walked in and wanted a massage after I was done. This just shows how much they value their customers. I ended up spending over $500 at the spa and they couldn't even add 30 minutes to my massage. Trevor suggested that I have a hot oil scalp massage the next morning and that he would be available around 8:00 or 8:30. When I went to the desk to book it, they said that Trevor was not on the next day and that the treatment he suggested was only and "add on" service and could not be booked individually. After I complained that I had just had a massage, was staying at t he hotel and spending quite a bid of money, and after they had to phone the spa manager, they aggreed to the service.

Poor value, poor customer service. I would not return. It was far from relaxing!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2009

Loved the pools...that were open. 2 of the pools were closed, so we did not get to enjoy them :( The resort was georgeous, and the stars and night were amazing. However, we were camping. Mother and Daughter road trip to Florida and back again. It took 2 and a half weeks, we wanted to stop at interesting places along the way, that were budget freindly :) For the price they charge to camp, its not really worth it. The camp and Rv sites are very poor and they only have a port o' potty. bummer.

• Stayed March 2009
Albuquerque
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

Ojo caliente is a wonderful wonderful way to spend a sunny but cool/cold day in new Mexico. The resort offers several different pools as well as a sauna and steam room. I cannot comment on any of the massages services and i did not spend the night. The restaurant on the rest was surprisingly very good. The thing I liked most about the resort was the relaxed environment. The accommodations were nice, but not over the top.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

It was kinda nice to not have a tv for a change, room was small but comfy, clean. Well - the quilt probably didn't get washed often as it was 'antique'. Nice little bathroom, but shower only at the pools. That was OK tho. Very relaxing place in a wonderful setting, no town - just the resort. Free coffee service in the am, but a muffin or something would have been nice as there are no options other than waiting for the restaurant to open (not till 8)
I like staying at a place like this where everyone is lounging in robes, no need to get dressed the whole time.
The down sides. We paid $150 - off season - for the cheaper rooms at the old hotel. I assumed they forgot to put the robes in the room, and went to ask for them. The girl sighed and said, well, we'll get you some if you must have them........... Golly, looked like every one else did have them..........
Every time we went to the pool we were asked what spa service we were booked for, the people got to recognize us and we said no over & over......sort of a pressure tactic and it became annoying.
There were no signs to direct you to anything, and found out at the very end that there was a sauna, but we were leaving. Private baths area had no signage and everyone would be looking for another pool and had to figure out on their own what was in that area. The large pool was dangerously covered with plastic that the guests eventually over 2 days pushed up against one side. That was weird.
'Whisper' signs every where in pool area, yet in the halls of the old hotel people were talking full volume and of course the walls are paper thin - so no naps in this place.
You can visit just for the day, but a little pricey .

• Disliked — Felt 2nd rate by not renting a cabin
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Amarillo, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

I love the casual atmosphere of the Ojo Caliente springs. The dress is very casual and bathing suits are worn in the springs.
My suite had 2 queen beds with beautiful southwest decor. I had a refrigerator and microwave in a kitchenette and a full bath with shower. The small patio was relaxing place to sit read. My suite was opened this summer. The hotel in 140 years old and has been completely renovated. A new gift shop and spa entry was having the fininshing touches during my visit. I liked the organic food choices in the resturant and the servings were generous. I also hiked along the river and sat in the shade of the huge cottonwood trees one morning.
The different springs are outside and all but 2 open to the sky. I could spend as much time as I wanted in each one or relax on lounge chairs between soaks. The iron pool with its gravel bottom was fun and the bubbles from the spring come up between your toes. There are many choices of massages and spa activities and it is difficult to choose between them. Ojo Caliente is a great place to relax and I will return.

• Liked — The relaxing atmosphere and comfortable furnishings
  • Disliked — Cell phones signals are irregular due to the rural location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!