“A wonderfully relaxing place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ojo Caliente
Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
You added Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
50 Los Banos Rd, Highway 414, Ojo Caliente, NM 87549   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ojo Caliente
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sundance, Wyoming, United States
“A wonderfully relaxing place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I only spent a couple days here but could have easily stayed a week or more. It was very clean everywhere, the room, the grounds, the pools. The staff were all helpful and friendly. I had a wrap in the spa and was very comfortable. I didn't try the restaurant because I was on a budget. I brought food with me and was able to fix meals and eat in my room. The kitchenette provided everything I needed. Loved the in-room fireplace and the staff always made sure there was wood to burn. The pools were wonderful, not crowded. People were quiet and respectful but also friendly. A great way to relax and get away from it all!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ojowaters, Owner at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Guest:

We would have loved to host you for a week or more, but we're thrilled that we were able to make you feel at home while you were here! Thank you for making us a part of your getaway, and for the fabulous review. We can't wait to welcome you back for more rest and relaxation!

Warm regards,
Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

What should have been a tranquil, beautiful and spiritual oasis turned out to be confusing, average and very expensive.
I don't know where to begin with this review, kind of like the feeling I got when we arrived at Ojo Caliente. A 5 minute orientation would have gone a long way.
The place reminded me of an old water amusement park. The spa was cold and basic. Seriously, what kind of spa doesn't provide flip flops? No orientation, they hand you a key to a locker and push you through the door. No combs, no brushes, no razors, nothing. You have beg if you need an extra towel if your towel happens to get wet. There is NOTHING luxurious about this spa. The services were good, I have to give them that. Although by the time my masseuse set up the room and told me her life story we were a half an hour late into the service and my 1.5 hour service turned out to be a rushed 50 minute service.
The signature wrap. he he he. It was a $12 add on service. We were instructed to soak in the hot arsenic pool to bring our body temperature up and then run over to the bath house (more like a locker room) for the service. We had to wait for the room to be ready. They opened a door to a room with 15 or 16 tables and instructed us to disrobe, pick a table and lie down. I watched them start covering the people in my party with a sheet from the table they were on and then covering them up with and army blanket and a towel for their eyes. I was the last in our party to be wrapped, so by the time the attendant got to me I was shivering and lips were blue. I thought, hey for $12 dollars they could have wrapped me in some sort of herbal infused sheet or at least warmed my blanket. NOPE!. Then more people piled into the 15 or 16 table room and the attendants wrapped them - 10 minutes later they shut the lights and closed the door. The next 20-30 minutes were pure torture, I was cold, itchy (I was wrapped so I couldn't move my arms to scratch without unwrapping) and people I didn't even know were snoring all around me. OMG!!!
The suite we were in was adequate, although the kiva fireplace was a nice touch and the dry wood was stacked out side our back door. The bathroom (which was also the kitchen????????) was very standard. Shampoo dispenser on the shower wall....
The highlight? The bartender. Great guy. We had fun waiting at the bar for our dinner reservation (very average food - but I guess your not there for the food).
Needless to say, we didn't really leave this place feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ojowaters, Guest Relations Manager at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort & Spa. We regret to hear that you did not fully enjoy your experience here.

As a point of reference, Ojo was built in 1868, and is one of the oldest natural health resorts in the United States, and the only hot springs in the world with four unique, sulfur-free healing mineral waters. It is our honor and privilege to protect these sacred waters for all who seek healing of mind, body and spirit here.

Ojo is historic and fresh with eclectic charm in a relaxed and tranquil environment. We do not present ourselves as being a luxurious, polished spa, but rather an enchanting health and wellness retreat for both day guests and overnight lodging guests alike. The word "spa" is actually an acronym for the Latin phrase "salus per aquas" which means "health through water." Because we celebrate these sacred waters, Ojo truly is a quintessential spa amongst spas.

The resort has undergone significant renovations and enhancements over the last 13 years, including the addition of a new women's spa locker room, renovated men's changing area, an expanded spa, new private outdoor pools, a new spa entrance building and gift shop, a new Kiva Pool for guests lodging in our suites, new suites and restored cottages, pus and a new wine bar and lounge. Our goal is to continue improving the Ojo experience while honoring its essence, charm and history. The cottages at Ojo have long been known to offer small kitchenettes as a convenience for lodging guests who stay for an extended period of time.

With the high volume of day guests we are challenged to offer additional amenities while maintaining our affordable rates. That said, we are researching flip flop/sandals for our lodging guests and for guests who purchase a spa treatment.

Our Signature Milagro Wrap is an Ojo original that is based on the Native American sweat practiced by the tribes who inhabited this area. Many of our visitors find this an enjoyable experience because it is linked to the indigenous culture that makes Ojo so unique. This is one example of why our mission to maintain the very special, ancient nature of the springs' environment is integral to our foundation of the modern-day spa experience.

We apologize you did not find our resort relaxing and rejuvenating. It appears you may have been searching for a more modern experience found in more refined environments. We realize that Ojo is not for everyone. We appreciate the opportunity to have shown you some of our Northern New Mexico hospitality. We thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your observations. Please be assured that your feedback has been shared with our management team.

eagle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I continue to return here. Iron pools are blood cleansers, immunity boosters and give energy to body. The soda pool good for arthritis relief. The lithium pool has been under repair for 3 years though. The swimming pool is large enough to stretch out and swim. I have stayed in the cottages which are roomy and provide a small kitchenette. This time I received a special price and stayed in one of the rooms at the historic hotel. Walls are paper thin and there are no tubs/ showers however the bath house provides a way to shower. The food is wonderful. It's fresh and delectable. Sometimes I partake in yoga in the yurt. Yesterday I took the river walk which is an easy half hour walk. Today I will try the mica mine path. The gift shop has lotions, clothes, books and sundries.

• Stayed February 2014
Ojowaters, Guest Relations Manager at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your loyal patronage and your kind review. We sincerely value every guest that comes to Ojo in search of healing from these sacred waters.

You'll be happy to know that we will be converting the old Mud Pool into a Lithia Pool some time later this year. Unfortunately the Lithia Pump is beyond repair and we will not be able to restore it back to service.

As you may know, the Historic Hotel that you stayed in was built in 1916 and has the charm and character of an older building including many original architectural features. That being said, it is our goal for all of our guests to have a restful, enjoyable visit. The hotel rooms are our entry level of our many lodging types; they do not have the same amenities as our newer units and that some of our guests are looking for. When the resort was opened in 1868, all bathing was done in the bathhouses, and therefore all of our Historic Hotel rooms feature the original ½ baths. Guests in the hotel are invited to shower in the main bathhouse in the Springs’ area.

For your next visit you may decide to stay in one of our newer suites that include showers or tub/shower combos, microwaves, mini-refrigerators, in-room coffee and tea, and satellite TV. Additionally, guests lodging in our suites have access to our beautiful new Kiva Pool with extended soaking hours. Our Pueblo and Cliffside Suites offer Kiva fireplaces, and the Cliffside Suites feature private outdoor soaking tubs.

We're thrilled to know that you also enjoy exploring Ojo's 1100 acres as well as the adjoining thousands of acres of national forest and public land. We agree that the Mica Mine is a special discovery not to be missed.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your review. We look forward to welcoming you back to our legendary oasis very soon.

Kind regards,
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

I think the rooms cost more than they should. That being said, I LOVE staying here to get a lot of work done. Writing, reading, and so on. You soak for a couple hours, eat at the restaurant, get a coffee, there's a wine bar, an outdoor porch, a fire outside at night. It is just perfect. No TV, so if you need that, go elsewhere. I also want to say I really let their restaurant have it in a TripAdvisor review, and they deserved it for that meal, but I had other meals there that I liked a great deal. The omelettes in the morning were exquisite. So although TA won't let me review the Artesian Restaurant until a month has passed, I want to balance my review by saying other meals were good.

And lower the price on the room. Really.....

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We are so gratified to know that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and were able to get some writing, reading and work done and retreat to Ojo for some rest and relaxation. We were pleased you were able to enjoy so much of what Ojo has to offer.

Regarding price of the rooms, we offer a wide variety of lodging options and price points for our guests from our Historic Hotel that you stayed in, to our charming cottages to the enchanting suites and private homes. All lodging rates (with the exception of the RV Campground) include Springs' access every day during your visit to Ojo including prior to check-in on the day of arrival and after check-out on the day of departure. This represents a value of $72 for a one night's stay mid-week and $112 on weekends and holidays, based on double occupancy. All lodging guests receive complimentary robes to use during their stay including use in the springs after check-out.

The Historic Hotel was built in 1916 and the hotel rooms are our entry level of our many lodging types; they do not have the same amenities as our newer units and that many of our well traveled guests expect. Showers or tub/shower combos, microwaves, mini-refrigerators, in-room coffee and tea, and satellite TV are provided in those other rooms.

We have responded to your previous TA review about our restaurant where we believe there was a misunderstanding about your order. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your other meals and our wonderful breakfast omelets. We appreciate your patronage and we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

I have been going to OJO since 1985. Then, there was one bath for women and one for men. Yes, it was primitive, but it cost only 4$. We loved it. Over the years the owners changed and changed. Now it is much more upscale, and Luxury Accomodations have been added. We stayed first in the Cottages. But the heater was too loud so we moved into the Historic Hotel, which I find overpriced, for the rooms. If it included breakfast it would be OK. The carpets are old, but the beds comfy. No showers. But you can shower at the Baths. Did not bother me too much. The Artisan Restaurant is mostly good. Portions have suffered. We bought a NM Pass for residents so our bath costs 14$ instead of 20$. NO weekends!
We tried the 3 nights for 2. Price. (Free coffee in lunge in the morning is nice.) It is a better deal, if you want to stay longer and rest. We will go again of course, because we just love the waters and the large, oval swimming pool, at about 85 degrees. (Not open in winter.)Great location! Great starry nights in pools, Luxe Romantic Getaway, if you have $$$$$!

Room Tip: If you chose to stay in the Historic Hotel, get room Nr. 32, if you can. It has 2 windows, if you li...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We would first like to thank you for your continued patronage over the years. We consider ourselves stewards of this sacred place and are dedicated to preserving, honoring and enriching all that is special about Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs. Thank you for sharing your feedback about about pricing and costs. As you may recall, prior to 2000 when the current owners/stewards came on board, Ojo was in great disrepair. Over the past 13 years, there have been a number of improvements and enhancements to the facility that we believe have greatly impacted the guest experience in a positive way. Most notably is the on-going water improvement project whereby all the pools are now filtered through a series of ozone and UV light. This allows us to maintain the integrity of these healing hot springs and provide the best possible clean and safe soaking experience for all of our guests.

Relative to other similar properties, both in New Mexico and across the country, we feel our pricing is quite reasonable especially when considering the dramatic improvements and substantial enhancements we have made to the facility. We make every effort to keep our rates reasonable to remain inclusive rather than exclusive, and offer various price points to accomplish this. We especially strive to keep the Springs' day entry rate as low as possible.

Entry fees include access to all mineral pools, our new Mud Area and public steam and sauna rooms. Our midweek rates are $18 per person and are reduced at sunset to $14pp at 6pm during the week. Entry on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and holidays is $28pp and reduced to $24 at 6pm. Our large swimming pool is available year round and open in Winter. We apologize if you were misinformed about operations during the Winter months. We do keep the Large Pool covered when it is in low use as to contain the temperature.

The Springs are open from 8 am - 10 pm every day of the year. All lodging rates (with the exception of the RV Campground) include access to all mineral pools for both the day of arrival and departure, and every day during your visit. This represents a value of $72 for a one night's stay mid-week and $112 on weekends and holidays, based on double occupancy.

As you know, the hotel rooms are our entry level of our many lodging types. In an effort to keep the price point lower, hotel rooms do not have amenities that many of our well traveled guests expect. Showers or tub/shower combos, microwaves, mini-refrigerators, in-room coffee and televisions are provided in our other room types. Thank you for your observation about the carpet in the Historic Hotel. It was replaced not long ago and we did alert the Housekeeping Manager to inspect it for optimal cleanliness.

Thank you for your kind review and observations. We greatly appreciate your loyal patronage, and are pleased to know you love the waters and will continue to enjoy the unique and tranquil environment Ojo has to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

I was directed here by a friend. What a wonderful recommendation! A beautiful hour (approximately) drive from Santa Fe. Ojo is peaceful and serene. The entire spa is a whisper zone with the sounds of water in the back ground. I have only been for the day and feel the rates are very reasonable. I recommend spending the few bucks for the robe, extra towel and lock. My favorite tub is the soda. It is enclosed for a cave like feel. Warm water full of minerals to make you float easily. Very relaxing! The mud bath is fun and feels great. Nothing like smearing yourself with mud and baking in the high desert sun. When you rinse, your skin feels amazing. Ahhhhhhh, I am dreaming of my happy place now.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Ojowaters, Owner at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
There's nothing better than a day of relaxation! I'm so glad that you found that with us, and that you enjoyed our new Mud Area. It's a perfect pick-me-up for the skin! Until next time, thank you for the wonderful review, and let us know if we can do anything to make your next visit even more luxurious!

All the best,
UPSTATE NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I stayed at ojo twice in 2013; During March and then again in October. The weather was wonderful both times with days in mid-70's cool nights. In March, I went with a friend and in October I was alone. Both times were fantastic. I love this place. We stayed in the pueblo suites in March, I wanted a Cliffside suite in October but they were full, so I stayed in the pueblo again. I did meeting people staying in the Cliffside suites so I got a peek, I don't remember how much more a night is was for the Cliffside; but I would do it at least once. The pueblo suite rooms are comfortable, maybe a bit dark, but I was rarely inside during the day, so no matter.

Pueblo suites have fireplace (a must!) and a nice patio with Adirondack chairs.The suites have a fridge, microwave, dishes, wine glasses, coffee maker, etc. Bring drinks/food with you if you don't want to have to purchase all meals at the restaurant or hotel shop. Then splurge on dinner at the restaurant. The food is wonderful! Also included with the suites is the private kiva pool, another reason to go for the suite. While the whole area is supposed to be a 'whisper zone' it can get quite loud at times, but not at the kiva pool.

The hiking is good - very picturesque - and not too difficult.

Spa services are very nice. staff pleasant and professional.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Ojowaters, Guest Relations Manager at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for posting a lovely review of your recent visit to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort & Spa! We were pleased you were able to enjoy so much of what Ojo has to offer.

Maintaining the solace and tranquility at Ojo has always been (and continues to be) among our highest priorities. It is indeed a challenge to do so at busier times as of late, however, we do have measures underway that we believe will yield positive results including creating more relaxation areas and offering live Native American flute music to enhance the calming nature of the soaking experience.

For your next visit, we do encourage you to stay in one of our beautiful Cliffside Suites. In the same style as the Pueblo Suites, the Cliffside Suites uniquely have a private back patio facing the stunning cliffs that border the Springs complete with a private outdoor soaking tub filled with our legendary waters.

We're also happy to hear that you relished soaking in the newly built Kiva Pool that is available to our guests lodging The Plaza, Pueblo and Cliffside Suites. We agree that soaking under the stars in the peace and tranquility of this sacred place is a one-of-a-kind experience.

Thank you again for your kind review. We greatly appreciate your loyal patronage, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Guest Services Manager

Thank you again for your kind review. We greatly appreciate your loyal patronage, and are so pleased to know you continue to enjoy the unique and tranquil environment Ojo provides for guests.

Been to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!