I though long and hard before writing this review. This is my second time to Ojo - the first was in 2009. I scheduled 4 treatments - of the hot stone massage, reflexology, wrap and energizing and energy balancing massage - and found the practitioners to be truely amazing, gifted and talented people. I especially appreciated the fact that they had experience, wisdom and expertise.
Now for the hard part - Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort is in the middle of a huge rennovation and construction project. This is not made clear on their web site, nor was it mentioned when I called to make reservations. Spa treatments were accompanied by the whine of drills and the pounding of hammers which were clearly audible through the walls of the treatment rooms. Afternoon naps in the beautiful suite were interrupted by the backup beeps and rumble of heavey construction equipment. The Lithia Spring is not available (one of the four waters that usually can be taken at Ojo Caliente), and won't be fore the foreseeable future. Had I known theses things, I probably still would have gone to Ojo, becauase the waters are truly amazing and the setting is beautiful. However, I don't really think full price should be charged for accomadations or treatments interrupted with construction. The Spa staff is really at a disadvantge because they are not responsible for the disruptions, and are not consulted when an area becomes unavailable due to construction, and yet they take all the heat from unhappy guests.
A few tips:
1. All facilities required going outside - from the ladies locker room to the spa waiting room is and outside trip. All the pools, with the exception of the Soda Pool, are in open air. This is fine once you are in the warm and healing waters, but getting in and getting out, in the Winter, is a very cold experience. On the other hand, there is nothing like watching the stars in a clear night sky when you are immersed in a warm mineral spring!
2. Spa robes - fairly flimsy - are provided - but no slippers or footwear. I brought a pair of flip flops which I couldn't use because they were too slick on the wet tile surfaces in the locker room and around the pools. Next time I will bring Croc clogs and my own warm and full length robe.
3 The spa is open to the pubic - that is day guests - so be prepared to share your experience with groups who are not staying on the property.
4. There is no internet or phones in the rooms. Wireless internet is available in the main lobby and the Restaurant/Bar building, but you might find seating to be limited. I have verizon mobile service, but 3G was not available so far away from towns, so my smart phone didn't work except to make calls. That's OK - how can you unwind unless you unplug?
5. Dining - there is a restaurant on the property and the food is good but expensive. Also, it was fairly heavy and seasoned food - not necessarily what one wants if one is cleansing. Next time I will bring some of my own food and use the microwave and the 'fridge in the suite (which does provide dishes and cutlery and glasses) for most of my meals. Also, breakfast is not included in the price of the room and is only available after 7:30 am.
6. Kids - no one under 14 is allowed in any of the pools/springs. Quiet is required in all the spa places - don't expect to chat with your buds in any of the pools. There is no "kids" menu in the restaurant. If at all possible, I would leave the children at home.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for your kind and thoughtful review of your recent visit to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort & Spa. Your compliments about our spa staff are much appreciated and have been passed along, as we believe it very important to share well-deserved praise.
We apologize that you were disturbed during your visit by the present work being done on the property. In order to accommodate the ever-growing number of guests visiting and to enhance our guest experience, we are in the midst of an extensive remodel and enhancement of the Men's Changing Area which is expected to be completed in May. All other projects are slated for the beginning of next year.
Ojo has been undergoing improvements continually over the past 12 years on every level. We believe these enhancements have provided a dramatically positive effect on our guest experience while remaining true to the unique character and essence of this special place. We schedule these projects during our less busy times so that the impact on the Ojo guest experience is as minimal as possible.
We consider ourselves stewards who are dedicated to preserving, honoring and enriching all that is special about Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs. As ambassadors it is our commitment to share this legendary oasis with all who seek it.
We are both blessed and challenged by Ojo's increase in popularity and will continue fine-tuning our services to provide our guests with the experience Ojo is known for. We make every effort to provide quality services, with a view towards keeping our fees as reasonable as possible. We thank you for taking the time to post your review and for your suggestions and observations. Please know that all our guest comments are carefully reviewed and considered. We hope you will check our website periodically for news on the progress of our enhancements, and also hope you will take the opportunity to visit Ojo again in the future.
Guest Services Manager
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.