“Stress level dropping...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ojo Caliente
Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
50 Los Banos Rd, Highway 414, Ojo Caliente, NM 87549   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Ojo Caliente
Albuquerque, NM
“Stress level dropping...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights and 3 days for a quick trip. The resort isn't close to a lot of attractions, nightlife, etc. It is truly a decently secluded property in a quiet part of the state. It was relaxing to say the least, and I really enjoyed staying at the actual hotel since we could easily go back and forth between our room and the pools. Check in was easy for us, and the lobby was very nice; right on par for what I'd expect for a spa resort. Our room was tucked away in this little corner in the historic hotel. The room was small but adequate and had a half bathroom (to which you showered in the locker rooms, no big deal). For the small space there was nice old style character. I wasn't expecting a luxurious room. I appreciated the close proximity to the pools, the restaurant and bar.
We explored each of the pools in the area, with the exception of the private pools which need to be reserved. However, the mud pool wasn't open. :( All were pretty nice, as well as the grounds and surrounding cliffs. The entire area was a "quiet zone" which was a little weird at first, but after a while not an issue whatsoever. I will say it's definitely not kid friendly, but in all honesty, I haven't heard of too many spas that are. I'd say find another place if you want this to be a family trip. We didn't see any kids during the stay.
The second day to our pleasant surprise the mud pool was open. I was very glad since the day before it not being open was disappointing. It was a lot of fun to "mud up" and soak in the sun. They do suggest (as do I) wearing darker swimwear that won't be stained from the mud.
We ate dinner once and breakfast twice on the property. Food overall was pretty good, but there were a few things that might be outside the box for some people. Another reason I wouldn't recommend bringing kids. The pesto pine nut pizza from the bar menu was delicious, and the bartender Craig was very accommodating and friendly. He even recommended other cool places in NM to see.
We loved hanging out in the pools at night as well, I think we ended up favoring the cliffside pools for nights, as the cliffs were illuminated with lights and made it very peaceful
In the evenings after the pools closed, we'd hang out by the campfire they'd have set up. It helped that the campfire area was close to our room.
All in all, I really enjoyed our visit. It was quiet and relaxing, and we both felt quite well rested at the end of the trip. I wouldn't make this a regular trip or anything, but I would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

511 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Cambridge, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

Ojo Hot Springs had changed hands since our last visit. It used to be very funky, very hippie, but quite pleasant and comfortable. We were afraid that it was being too "yuppied-up" with the new owners, but were pleasantly surprised that they kept much of the feel of the place while improving some things that needed to be updated. We were in one of the renovated cabins across the parking lot from the original lodge. Each cabin has 2 hotel rooms in it, each with kitchenette, private bath, and a small back porch facing the mountains. The decor was simple, warm, soothing, and comfortable. The furniture was new, the place had been painted, and the whole effect was very welcoming.

The springs themselves are the star here. Each pool has a different feel, with some more rustic than others (pebbles on the floor of the iron pool, concrete swimming pool style for another), some are hot and some are warm, etc.

Spa treatments are OK but not the reason to come to Ojo. The milagro wrap (now renamed) is the exception for me. It has been a staple for years and it never fails to turn me to jello.

There is some nice hiking from the property, and spectacular views.

The only reason I don't rate Ojo more highly is the food in the restaurant was barely so-so every time I've come here. I've learned to stick to burritos and burgers. There aren't many choices nearby so the cabins with kitchens are a real plus.

I always look forward to coming back here -- am booking another trip soon!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Edmond, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

WE have kived Ojo and watched it grow and change. It was a very spiritual place where you could get away from the world and felt at peace and healed. It has changed some for the better some not. the accomadations are great the rooms are great they changed the native american music to "spa" music which we miss I feel they are trying to capture international folks and forgetting about the reason for the waters and the spa. its very healing b ut we miss the native music.

Room Tip: the cabins with the kivas are wonderful and very clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Ojowaters, Guest Relations Manager at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 26, 2011
My name is Jeannine Dolan; I am the Guest Services and Spa Director here at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort & Spa. Thank you to Serenity7art for their review. We are very glad to know that Serenity7art enjoyed staying in one of our suites with a kiva fireplace. We also want to share that we still honor the sacred nature of the springs, and while we have made many improvements to Ojo, we continue to welcome people of diverse backgrounds to Ojo, in keeping with the long history of the springs as a gathering place for many people over the centuries.

While we have a mix of various types of soothing music playing in the spa, we do include Native American flute. Thanks to Serenity7art’s review, we will be adding more Native American music in the spa. I invite anyone with questions or concerns to contact me at jeannine@ojospa.com.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

The mineral springs are wonderful and the environment of the resort was relaxing, but I think I would've preferred to just visit and buy a day pass rather than pay the $260/night for the "suite" we stayed in. We had a nice large bathroom and a kitchenette (refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker, small sink) but the room had concrete floors with no rugs whatsoever on the floor and the pillows were of the Kmart "rag-filled" variety. I'm not usually very picky about such things but they really were uncomfortable and I expected more for what we were paying. We stayed at a similarly sized suite with a kitchenette at a Holiday Inn Express on the same trip for about 1/3 the price and they had very comfy down pillows that didn't give me a neck-ache.

On the plus side, the restaurant at the resort had some of the best food I've ever eaten and the massage I booked was wonderfully relaxing (though again, the surroundings for the massage were not that comfy - I was in a room that looked like an old kitchen with concrete floors and drippy sink, though once I closed my eyes I guess that didn't matter).

Overall, for the price I expected a bit more.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Ojowaters, Guest Relations Manager at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
We appreciate the reviewer’s kind words about the restaurant, massage treatments and the mineral springs. My name is Jeannine Dolan, and I am the Guest Services & Spa Director here at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort & Spa. We appreciate their comments about the pillows and want to reassure them that as a result, we are replacing some of our pillows. We always welcome feedback from our guests, especially about things like “drippy sinks” so that we can fix the problem.

We also want to share with the reviewer and others that the floors in our suites are a specially tinted cement with geothermal radiant in floor heat and cooling supplemented with evaporative cooling in our Plaza suites. We have some beautiful hand woven rugs in the Cliffside and Pueblo suites, and will certainly look at adding them to the Plazas. If the reviewer would like to contact me directly, please feel free to email me at jeannine@ojospa.com.
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

We stayed in the RV park and frequently drive down from Colorado to stay here. I love the atmostphere here, peaceful, relaxed and very spiritual. The RV park has dirt roads and is along a little creek. At night you can hear coyotes howl and the bubbling creek. You can hike to the ruins or to the round barn and labryinth. My husband and I love i here and are planning another trip with our daughter, husband and baby. The restaurant is heaven! Try the enchiladas New Mexico style with the fried egg on top! The bartender in the wine bar is a delight and explains in detail how they make the homemade Sangria! The pools are immaculate and the staff is wonderful. I have had the best massages and facials here. I totally disagree with the review of the RV park and the staff - this is New Mexico, the true southwest. The RV park staff and the staff of the resort have been nothing but welcoming to us, and we have been here over 10 times. We too, can afford to stay in the resort, but prefer our RV, and LOVE this place!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Lubbock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

Hubby and I dropped our boys off at Church Camp in Las Vegas. We took one night at the Ojo Caliente Resort and Spa. We stayed on the property at the old hotel in room 40. It was soo cute. By that I mean the floors squeaked everywhere, the door had the old time window above it like in an old hospital. The hotel used to be a sanitarium. There is no TV in the room and no shower. However the showers in the locker rooms are really wonderful. No problem. We rented a private pool from 9pm to 10pm. It was so romantic. The lighting was beautiful. We ate at the restaurant in the hotel also. Very good. Hubby had steak, it was great. I had mushroom something, it came with a tamale that was increadible. The staff from front desk, to waitresses, the gift shop, the pool attendants...everyone was truly wonderful! Guests wear bathing suits and were all very nice couples or mature people traveling and relaxing. You have to try the mud bath. You'll look rediculous, but it feels wonderful.

San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

My wife and I have frequented SW Colorado for years. We started out tent camping and as we got older got off the ground and up in to an RV. Our RV is a late model Heartland and is very nice. We could afford 5 star hotel rates, we just prefer our RV. A friend raved about the place and encouraged us to try it. We just spent three weeks in Durango and Pagosa, and booked two nights at the Ojo RV Park, my wife also scheduled some spa treatments. Upon arrival we thought it looked a little seedy, old beat up cars, construction, lack of direction signs, etc. We had just driven five hours through the mountains and were expecting to find a "Resort and Spa". Trust me, this is not a "Resort and Spa". In fact they should not be allowed to use that in there name. The front desk person was cold and unfriendly upon check in. We were told where the RV Park was, and given instructions how to get there. I drove over, and when we entered I told my wife, we would never stay at an RV park like this, but as she had some spa treatments scheduled the next day, we gave it a go. The sites we were given to choose from were awful, untrimmed trees, service on the wrong side of the RV site, and we could not figure out how to back in our RV with any ease. I drive heavy trucks and trailers in the Army, and am pretty skilled at it, but this place had no signs , no support staff on site, and the entire place just looked awful and run down. I told my wife we would take another circle around and look at the sites again, and may need to go back to the front desk and let them know of the problem. When I called I told them the length of my unit, but they gave me choices that were several feet to short for it. As I moved ahead to circle back around, I found I had driven in to a blind alley between two large trees, the exit gate was locked. I was stuck. I tried for about 30 minutes to back out and could not. As I pulled forward to be able to get out of the vehicle to go find someone, I brushed one of the trees causing major damage to my unit. We called for help, and a security officer said they knew that people got caught in this spot all the time. No warning signs were posted, the front desk staff did not mention it. We were devastated. I told the security office to let them know we were leaving. We made it to Santa Fe and found someone to repair the damage so we could make it home. We made multiple calls to the Ojo staff requesting that they not charge us for the spa treatment cancellations and RV fees. We were assured that would be done, however the charges are on my card as I write this. The RV Park at this place should be closed down. It should be illegal for them to have the words "Resort and Spa" in there name. It really is a seedy, unbecoming, unfriendly, and cold environment. My complaint is well known to several of the "Spa's" staff. No one, not one person, has responded to express regret or to say they were sorry for setting me up for this predicament. I would stay away. If you are at all concerned for your well being, I would stay away from this place. My next writing is going to be to the long term friend who recommended the place, to end our relationship with her for being so wrong.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
We are very sorry about the reviewer's experience in our RV park and
campground, which resulted in his backing into a tree and damaging his RV.
Unfortunately, the reviewer declined to cooperate with our security staff in
completing an incident report at the time of the incident, which is an
important part of a response to any accident.

We have made attempts to communicate with the reviewer by phone and email
since his departure and are eager to speak with him. The charges that
appeared on reviewer's card should be cleared by now, as preauthorization
for charges and refunds can take some time for banks to process before they
appear on the account.

While we have made many significant enhancements throughout the majority of
our facility, our RV park and campground remains much the same as it has
been for the last 10 or more years. We have plans to make major
upgrades/enhancements this winter. In the meantime, the campground includes
water and an electrical connection at each space; while we do not have sewer
hook-up or flush toilets in the campground, we do have an outhouse and a
septic dump station.

We also apologize for the reviewer's experience at our front desk, as all of
our guests are important to us. We appreciate his business and hope we will
have the opportunity to have a conversation with him and to bring him back
for a more positive experience.

Been to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!