“Atmosphere good, food ?????” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 14 Restaurants in Mesilla
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Atmosphere good, food ?????”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Food pricey for what you get. The first time we went there was for lunch, good and reasonable. The second time was dinner hour, very busy and food was cold, and almost tasted like second day warmed over. Have not been back since

Visited June 2013

Austin,Texas
“Beautiful setting and pretty good food also”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

La Posta is one of those restaurants you really need to try when you are vacationing or otherwise near the Las Cruces area. It is set right in the middle of historic Mesilla in one of its most historic buildings. But they don't stop there. The inside is visually exciting with tropical plants, decorations, and even cute parrots.

The menu offers a large variety of typical New Mexican-style food. We started off with bowls of posole which were done nearly perfect. We had standard entrees of enchiladas which were done fine. The food offered here is all good but if this place has been open for this long you would expect that. There wasn't anything really unusual though that I just had to try except the mincemeat empanada for dessert but they were out of it. Never heard of such a thing but I made one myself as soon as I got back home. I appreciate the idea.

They did offer some really interesting variations of margaritas.

Service was a little slow and disinterested but I guess it was after their lunch rush hour and they were tired.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Austin, Texas
“Jewel in the desert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Very good New Mexican Mexican food, which is very different from Tex-Mex. Historical Adobe building off Mesilla Square in Las Cruces. Interesting menu, good drink selection, and no trouble getting seated, even at 8:00 p.m. on a Saturday.
We ate there twice on our cross-country drive, and were happy on both occasions.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
El Paso, Texas
“Did I go to the wrong restaurant?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

After reading so many of the great reviews here, I was excited to eat at La Posta. However, my experience was nothing like so many of my fellow reviewers.

By "authentic" if one means old, dingy and tacky - then it's authentic!

I was very surprised to see an aviary in the restaurant area. What kind of Public Health Department allows live birds, feathers, feces, etc. in a restaurant!?!?

My wait was minimal at 2 pm on a Friday afternoon. I was seated in the "wine room" - right next to the "authentic" plastic grapes hanging off the wall.

The chips were O.K. but the salsa was nothing to write home about. I've had better salsa out of a supermarket jar. Mediocre at best.

My "authentic" salad was as plain as can be. It reminded me a hospital "house salad" delivered to your bed by a scared candy striper. Absolutely no pizazz or creativity.

I ordered a ribeye steak - medium rare. I was brought a VERY well-done ribeye, an old/stale baked potato and a side salad that was more of the same as above sans candy striper.

For the first time ever in my life, I had to send back the steak. The waiter, Damon, did an excellent job and was seemingly embarrassed at his colleagues in the kitchen trying to pass off a hockey puck as a medium-rare ribeye.

My replacement steak was cooked correctly but it was covered with too much Lowrey's Seasoning Salt - AFTER the cooking was over. Weird.

I'll have to go back and give La Posta a second shot sometime. Everyone has a bad day. Other diners seemed to be enjoying their meals.

Perhaps ordering an American steak in a Mexican restaurant was my own problem. Next time, I'll try the Mexican food.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Abilene, Texas
“Enchanting atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We never would have known to stop here on our cross-country trip, but a friend mentioned this place and the timing happened to work out for us to eat dinner here on a blistering June day (6/1/13). I'm glad we drove a couple of miles off of I-10 to eat here! Great atmosphere; my 5-year-old liked the birds and fish out front. I really liked the green chile-something I had -- but can't remember the dish now. We didn't have any service problems (as in some other reviews), but it wasn't super-crowded the Saturday night we were there.

If we're ever headed out that way again, I'd be happy to stop in at La Posta.

• Visited June 2013