“Great food, great atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 15 Restaurants in Mesilla
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Houston, Texas
“Great food, great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Returned to La Posta after twenty years absence. Very impressed. The food is among the best Mexican food that I have eaten. The house specials included drinks, desserts, etc and were a great value. The atmosphere is really excellent, parrots, fish, and pleanty of decorations. A must on any visit nearby.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

MN
“Good food and customer service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

While visiting Mesilla recently, we ate at La Posta twice and found their customer service to be very good and also the food. We loved the building and the many different rooms.

Kerrville, Texas
“Great bread and circuses!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Tripadvisor reviews led us here and we were not disappointed!
We loved the tropical feel of the lobby with the birds and fish and the place itself is very true to its South Western heritage. Our server, Delaine, was a sweety, she recommended a Margarita for Deb and also dishes to us. She said to leave room for dessert (which we did!). I had the Red Chile Combo plate which was excellent, Deb had the Chicken Chimichanga but wished she had my plate. Not because the Chimi wasn't up to snuff, just that everything on my plate was so darn good. We chose the Tres Leches cake for dessert and we both agreed it was the best we have ever eaten and even better than the one I make at home!

Next time we are into Las Cruces, La Posta is on our visit list.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bucks County, PA
“Excellent Service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

My business associate and I arrived at La Posta about 30 minutes before closing. The first thing I noticed were the big bird cages and various birds in the reception area. The hostess seemed very nice and seated us soon as we walked in. (From what I could tell, there were only 4 other customers in the place.) The place seemed much bigger than I anticipated from the outside view. There seemed to be several different seating areas. The one we were in had a rainforest/Inca Temple motif. It was very nice, clean and well lit. The chairs were comfortable, even though they were completely wood, with no seat padding.
The food was very good, although it wasn't any better or different from what I've had at other good Mexican restaurants outside the Southwest. Since this is an authentic Soutwest restaurant, I was kinda hoping for something special.
Our server was excellent. He recommended one of the combos and distinguished it from the others by noting it was a little spicy; He was right-on. He was very good with re-filling our drinks, a friendly smile, and delivering our food.
Overall I recommend La Posta, but the next time I'm in the area I will look for a place with a more "Southwest authentic" food preparation.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“A New Mexico dining experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

As long as I've been eating at La Posta (30+ years) people have said that the food has "gone downhill." That's a lotta years of downhill coasting for such a successful restaurant. Even though I don't live nearby any more, whenever I'm passing through Las Cruces, I time it so I can be at La Posta for a meal. I've always been enchanted by the bird and fish-filled atrium. The rolled tacos, guacamole and compuesta cups do not disappoint. The margarita I had last time was quite tasty as well.

• Visited August 2012