“Great bread and circuses!” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 15 Restaurants in Mesilla
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Kerrville, Texas
“Great bread and circuses!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Tripadvisor reviews led us here and we were not disappointed!
We loved the tropical feel of the lobby with the birds and fish and the place itself is very true to its South Western heritage. Our server, Delaine, was a sweety, she recommended a Margarita for Deb and also dishes to us. She said to leave room for dessert (which we did!). I had the Red Chile Combo plate which was excellent, Deb had the Chicken Chimichanga but wished she had my plate. Not because the Chimi wasn't up to snuff, just that everything on my plate was so darn good. We chose the Tres Leches cake for dessert and we both agreed it was the best we have ever eaten and even better than the one I make at home!

Next time we are into Las Cruces, La Posta is on our visit list.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Bucks County, PA
“Excellent Service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

My business associate and I arrived at La Posta about 30 minutes before closing. The first thing I noticed were the big bird cages and various birds in the reception area. The hostess seemed very nice and seated us soon as we walked in. (From what I could tell, there were only 4 other customers in the place.) The place seemed much bigger than I anticipated from the outside view. There seemed to be several different seating areas. The one we were in had a rainforest/Inca Temple motif. It was very nice, clean and well lit. The chairs were comfortable, even though they were completely wood, with no seat padding.
The food was very good, although it wasn't any better or different from what I've had at other good Mexican restaurants outside the Southwest. Since this is an authentic Soutwest restaurant, I was kinda hoping for something special.
Our server was excellent. He recommended one of the combos and distinguished it from the others by noting it was a little spicy; He was right-on. He was very good with re-filling our drinks, a friendly smile, and delivering our food.
Overall I recommend La Posta, but the next time I'm in the area I will look for a place with a more "Southwest authentic" food preparation.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“A New Mexico dining experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

As long as I've been eating at La Posta (30+ years) people have said that the food has "gone downhill." That's a lotta years of downhill coasting for such a successful restaurant. Even though I don't live nearby any more, whenever I'm passing through Las Cruces, I time it so I can be at La Posta for a meal. I've always been enchanted by the bird and fish-filled atrium. The rolled tacos, guacamole and compuesta cups do not disappoint. The margarita I had last time was quite tasty as well.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sun City West, Arizona
“We found it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Not easy to find but perseverance really paid off. The food was really the best Mexican cuisine we ever had. And the harshest food critic I know, my wife, ate all three tacos that came on her plate. At best, she normally only eats one. The La Posta combo plate was perfect. The enchilada was amazing! The ambiance of the place has you believe you had crossed the border into Mexico but you are still in New Mexico, not in Las Cruces itself but the little town of Mesilla. The gift shops are worth browsing. Nice items to purchase with no pressure to do so. If you find yourself in Messila or even in Las Cruces you should really try La Posta. Parking can be a challenge but do not give up.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Round Rock, Texas
“Terrible experience, don't waste your money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We arrived at the restaurant at 4:00pm. The hostess (who was very rude) said we had a 10 minute wait. We didn't mind waiting and admired the live birds in the waiting area. When called to be seated we were quite surprised as we walked through the restaurant as it was 75% empty. We have no idea why we had to wait. Our waitress was very nice and took our order quickly. The food arrived and we were so disappointed. The food was cold. I had to cut my enchilada with a knife it was so hard. The chile rellano was tasteless. We will never visit this restaurant again.

• Visited August 2012