“The Good, The Bad and The Beautiful” 4 of 5 stars

Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino
287 Carrizo Canyon Rd, Mescalero, NM 88340   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mescalero
Ruidoso, New Mexico
“The Good, The Bad and The Beautiful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

The location is glorious! Views of Mescalero Lake and Sierra Blanca are breathtaking.
The golf course is challenging and visually stunning.

We have been to the Inn many times (we live in Ruidoso) but this was our first overnight. Check-in was no problem. We booked the King Standard- it was acceptable with a good bed and an oversized bathroom. Hotel hallway carpets need cleaning.

Wendell's and Wendell's Lounge, both service and food, are always excellent (and expensive). Big thumbs up to Wendell's Lounge Bartender Tammy! The Big Game Sports Bar inside the casino is usually crowded and understaffed, food is slightly below mediocre. Apache Tee is good but closes early.

The casino has enough bright, shiny lights and noisy slot machines to make us happy.This is not Las Vegas, why anyone would expect a Vegas mega-casino in rural New Mexico? if you want the Vegas experience you should probably go to Nevada.

Room Tip: Rooms with even numbers DO NOT face the lake!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Farmington, NM
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Arrived just past 3 pm which is check in time. No rooms were ready for us. Left and came back 2 hours later and was able to get checked in. Rooms were clean and the mountain views are SPECTACULAR !!!! One phone in room was dead and TV remote did not work. When I called for maintenance they came right away and resolved the issue and was very nice about it. Outside door to balcony would not lock. Called resort services several times and the main operator answering the phone was "Roy" and he was consistently friendly and helpful. Valet service and bellman were prompt and courteous. Rooms were clean. We ordered room service for dinner the last night and received our food in 11 minutes from order time which is awesome. Food was good and hot and plentiful. That was a good surprise. Food in bar inside of casino was also excellent, hot and the order came quickly. We added an extra day to our stay and was quoted a price. When we got final bill it was $30.00 more than quoted for that day. I called and was told a supervisor would call me back and that never happened. So I called again and got Jackie who said she was a manager. She said her supervisor would have to call me the next week as he was out on funeral leave. She said she could not authorize that amount. Every time that I tried to say something she cut me off. Finally I said to her that I would like to speak without her interrupting. So I explained the situation. She had assumed that I wanted the price for weekend that I had for a weekday and I told her that I only wanted the $30 credit to match the price I was quoted. Had she let me speak she would have known that. She was abrupt and not very managerial at all. When she finally listened to me she then gave me the $30 credit as had been quoted to me.

Rome, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I am currently at the Inn and will be here 2 more nights. I agree with others that the service is very poor. I stopped at the expensive restaurant and the woman at the desk did not acknowledge me. I asked for a menu and she handed it to me without a word or even a smile. I received a similar response from the woman at the buffet desk. She answered my questions but was not at all friendly.
They really lack good customer service here.

Room Tip: If you have a special request (adjoining rooms, lake view) be sure to ask to speak to a manager prio...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Mescalero hotels

Albuquerque
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We spent a couple of days with our grand kids at the Inn. Had a good time, but when at came time to go to bed, could not believe the condition of the pillows and mattresses. They must have been left overs from the old building.....just BAD. Paid for a upscale room, wouldn't want to see the other. Just a note....spent a weekend at the Rt 66 Hotel, I would take their bedding home with me. Was the difference between black and white..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bellevue, Nebraska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

First, the staff was great but very soft spoken and quiet mannered as is typical with American Indians. Secondly, we are not gamblers so the casino was of no interest. Got there at 3:00 on Tuesday and there were 2 people at the desk and 9 in line. Finally another agent came. There appeared to be a line until at least 6:00. Room was clean and okay. Nothing to rave about except a large bathroom. Ate at Sports Bar add ordered Buffalo Wings. Normally Sports Bars are the best place to get wings. Wings came with a wings were normal fried chicken with a little plastic container that was about 6 drops of Louisianan Hot Sauce to color it, and the rest vinegar. I just ask for some Tabasco Sauce to pretend it was Buffalo Sauce. $8.00. Wife orders a Green Chile Cheeseburger. No diced or sliced green chilis, just a green chili "sauce". IN NEW MEXICO! $9.00. 1 Waitress and the place was full! Very limited beer selection with 4 drafts. In a sports bar! Told us the "Resort Fee" was $10.00 in an email, but it was $20.00 when we looked at the bill. Called three times and wouldn't get anyone. Will see hoe they respond when I don't pay the credit card bill. If you gamble it may be a different story, otherwise find a different place.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony.
Las Cruces, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Hotel room was clean and comfortable.

Hotel room was clean and comfortable.

Hotel room was clean and comfortable. Bed was excellent - very comfortable. View of lake and mountains from the patio was beautiful. I would recommend this property.

Room Tip: Stay at Inn of the Mountain Gods, but don't eat at Wendel's.
Albuquerque
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Visited Inn Of The Mountain Gods with my family, this was our first time. Our first impression was good as the lobby and hotel facility is quite nice. Our second impression? Not so good. Upon checking in at 02:45 pm we were told our room was not ready and that check-in is at 03:00 pm. We were also told to come back in 30min to check in AGAIN after waiting in line for a long time. All this was told to us in a matter-of-fact tone by the receptionist by the name of Chris.
We met friends at the hotel so we ended up checking in an hour later. We spoke to a different receptionist who was much nicer and actually told us the hotel was over-booked. Later that night we took our kids to the pool to swim. When we arrived we were told the pool was temporarily closed and the maintenance crew was changing a light inside the pool. We waited about 45m and then we were told it was ok to get in the pool. After about an hour of pool play my son cut his foot on a piece of glass that was left behind by the maintenance crew. He consequently cut his finger trying to retrieve the piece of glass. We informed the pool-manager and were told we should receive a call from the hotel-manager the next day. When we checked out at 3:00 pm the next day we still had not received any phone calls. We explained our experience to the concierge and asked for the hotel-manager. We were told we needed to fill out and incident report so we ended up talking to hotel-security, no hotel-manager yet. Security took our report and we asked for compensation. We were told we should receive yet another call from the hotel-manager and we can explain it to him/her. This took place on Aug 1st 2013. This review was written 10 days later and still no call from the folks at the Inn Of The Mountain Gods. Pretty disappointing, thus this poor review.
To those that read this review: caveat emptor! Be aware, the folks at Inn Of The Mountain Gods apparently don't care about the well-being of their customers and have no interest in making an unpleasant experience right to the customer.
To the hotel-manager at Inn Of The Mountain Gods if you should happen to read this review: you have just lost another customer and likely others as the power of word-of-mouth is at work with this review and anyone I speak to about my experience at Inn Of The Mountain Gods....

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!