“I wanted to hike.” 3 of 5 stars

Somonauk, Illinois
18 attraction reviews
“I wanted to hike.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

The visitor center is only open Monday-Friday. I went on a Saturday. From the map I picked up, it looked like the only hiking trail was around the lake, which was dried up. About three quarters of the way around the lake bed, the trail disappeared. I found my way back, it wasn't hard to do, by walking over the dried lake bed. Not much shade in the area and I did not see any wildlife. I did see a bunch of thorny plants though. It's good to experience the different National Wildlife Refuges.

Visited July 2013

Raton, New Mexico
28 attraction reviews
“A Short Drive from I-25”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Several miles off of I-25, you will likely see a lot of antelope, deer, elk, wild turkeys and buffalo. Most of the buffalo in this area belong to Ted Turner.

Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
16 attraction reviews
“A nice pleace to spend a peaceful night.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

I live within 2 miles of this refuge. There is a large deer population with some really nice bucks you can see on almost any given day. There is also wild turkey, halks, and bald eagles. If we are not suffering from drought conditions they say the fishing is really good. The park has a camping area and It seems to attract may a RV. A great place to spend the night if you are traveling along I25 and you what to stay in a safe quiet place.

decatur,Tx.
8 attraction reviews
“Place of Solitude”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

As a volunteer, I lived onsite for 3-6months over the last 2 yrs. This is a wonderful place for birding, fishing,biking and camping. This is a place that caters to wildlife and there is an opportunity to view wildlife at every turn. The staff is very knowledgable and will give you a map to follow on foot, biking or in your car to view wildlife. I had the privilege to beable to acess the back areas where farming is done and was able to document animal/ bird sightings that have not been seen in years. The public will be able to view prairie dogs from the new viewing site and walk on a path to a blind to view sandhill cranes in the fall.There is a 3 nite 4 day camping area by the lake and boat launching ramp nearby. I encourage the public to take in this wonderland of nature and enjoy the solitude it offers.

Visited April 2011

Been to Maxwell National Wildlife Refuge? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Maxwell National Wildlife Refuge, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.