“The World's Best Pancakes, REALLY, DON'T MISS THEM.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Mexican
Description: This address formerly was the Triple J Cafe
Description: This address formerly was the Triple J Cafe
Fredericksburg, Texas
“The World's Best Pancakes, REALLY, DON'T MISS THEM.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

Less than 24 hours ago, I was returning from the West Coast, and stopped in Lordsburg, NM for breakfast. Being inclined to avoid interstates, and chains, I wandered down "Motel Drive" (old 180) looking for a place. Saw a small "open" sign in the window of the Corner Cafe. Went in, noted the usual coffee clatch of locals in the corner, sat down, perused the menu, got my usual tea and water, consulted Sweet Angela, and ordered the "breakfast special": 2 pancakes, bacon or sausage (bacon for me), and two eggs over easy. Simple. When I was served, the pancakes looked like about size 7 (same as my hat) being two of them, and about 1/4 inch thick. Eggs looked perfect, as was the bacon (very thin, crisp and crunchy, yet not burned - and there were six or seven pieces). I syruped the pancakes, took a bite, and YUREKA, THE BEST PANCAKES I EVER ATE IN MY LIFE!!!!!! You know how Crispy Kreme Donuts taste like warm air, and melt in your mouth? Same as with these pancakes. They were absolutely heavenly. I have never had such a delightful buttermilk taste experience in my life. I savored every bite, and my mouth is watering while I write this review. The eggs were over easy, and perfectly prepared. I freely admit my own eggs O.E. are just not right. I either get the white too crisp (or even burnt), or the yolk is cool, or broken, or something. Not these eggs. Perfect. Warm, soft center, Soft, yet perfectly cooked whites. And the bacon. Light salt (I have to watch my salt), crisp, yet not burnt, crunchy in a soft way, and very, very delicately flavored, not heavy like some bacon. I was so impressed, I asked to meet the owner, Ms. Christina Rodriquez. She is a true jewel. I observed some of the makings for her noon servings of green chili chicken enchiladas, and it appears everything is fresh, homemade, and based on family recipes. What a spectacularly good venue for a breakfast (or dinner or supper). And on top of that, the freight trains roll by regularly, and you can watch a train while you eat. Believe me, if in Lordsburg, NM looking for a place to eat, THIS IS THE PLACE. Hope you go, hope you enjoy it, and tell Christina Catfish said "hello".

• Visited December 2011