“Beautiful hotel with great service.” 5 of 5 stars

You added Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Plaza Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   230 Plaza Street, Las Vegas, NM 87701   |
Ranked #6 of 8 hotels in Las Vegas
“Beautiful hotel with great service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

The Plaza hotel in Las Vegas NM is truly a gem. The hotel itself is beautiful and filled with so much history. The service is exceptional. Friendly workers really care about your comfort at the plaza hotel. The only bad thing was the pressure of the shower, but other than that I highly recommend! We won't stay anywhere else in town

• Stayed December 2012

208 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Racine, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We stayed at this historicaly significant hotel while pursuing a historical interest in New Mexico. Reservations and check in were a breeze, and we were upgraded to a terrific room with a good view of the old City Plaza. Our room had interesting and functional antique furniture, giving a real period feel to our stay. This was great, given we were there for a historical experience. It was clean, comfortable and we got very good rest. Breakfast at the resturant there was good with prompt, courtious service. The barroom was friendly. This important landmark is only a few doors from the very old building which General Kearney stood atop in 1846 during the Mexican-American War when he took New Mexico without a shot and made his proclamation to the people. That proclamation is on a plaque accross the street in the Plaza along the Santa Fee Trail. History abounds for the traveler within both walking distance and short drives from The Plaza, such as to Mora, Fort Union or Pecos Pueblo. The Plaza Hotel certainly has our approbation.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Albuquerque
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Staying at this hotel was once a wonderful experience. I've stayed there 6-8 times and often recommended it. No more. There was thick dust on the tables, the windows were dirty as were the drapes and curtains, which were badly torn (18" tear), the temperature, which couldn't be controlled, never dropped below 80 degrees (the guy at the front desk said the only way was to open windows--this was in December). The tiny room had a huge unusable (gutted interior) cabinet; the very cheap coffee maker could only be plugged in by disconnecting the lamp. The bathroom was so tiny anyone weighing more than about 160 wouldn't fit into it. The dinner ($18 shrimp) was barely edible, bacon around shrimp almost raw, black beans dried out and hard to swallow). The waiter for the "free" breakfast was rude, the food not as described. A sofa in the hall had broken springs. Virtually everything was broken or cheap and tacky. Such a sad story for a historic hotel where it once was a treat to stay. Obviously it has fallen on very hard times. I wouldn't return if they gave me a free room.

Room Tip: Plaza view is nice, but don't pay until you've inspected the room. Eat somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tyler, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

Let me start off by saying if you want AC and no light pollution from the streets it's best to ask for the newer part of the hotel. It was just okay. The feel of the southwest was evident and i truly enjoyed the antiques. Breakfast came with the room, but please go eat somewhere else. The food was not so good :( sad to say. My husband kept saying it was the worst food he ad eaten in a long time. The strawberry shortcake was stale. Probably won't return as there are many other hotels to choose from.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, NM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Let me start by saying that I live in New Mexico and stay here a number of times a year, unless I can not get a room. The staff is always accommodating and the original hotel itself has a very nostalgic feel (You get an actual key). A new section was added a few years ago and is my choice. The rooms and furnishings are newer. I swear that some of the beds in the old section are as old as the original hotel. As for those flights of stairs, I can assure you they are not for the out of shape. Each flight has some 20+ steps.

The rooms are always generally well kept and everything works, even the old ones. I will say though, that is there is absolutely no room around the sink for your grooming products in either the new or old rooms.. The staff know which rooms get better wi-fi (free) so be sure to let them know if you will need it. You also get a free real breakfast in the hotel restaurant which is kind of nice. And don't expect a room with a view. Very few face the park. You will most likely end up looking at a dingy nearby street or a brick wall.

The hotel itself is across from the plaza park, but except for some events, it is usually very quiet. The police station is nearby and I am sure that helps keep the riff-raff out. Oh and if you can not find a place to park in front or behind the hotel, there is another lot adjacent to the police station (a very short walk).

Unfortunately, Las Vegas has never quite regained its status of old and most of the shops around the plaza area are either closed or simply have nothing to offer. This is not like staying around the Santa Fe or Taos plaza,

We get a corporate rate, which makes this a very good deal. Be sure to ask.

The new section is built right above the ballroom. So, if you are staying in the new section on the second floor on a Friday or Saturday night, be sure to ask if there is a wedding or quinceanera going on. If you are above the ballroom, you will swear you are part of the party until 11PM, when the music finally shuts down. Remember, this is New Mexico where the alcohol generally flows even at a birthday party for a 2 year old, so parties can get kind of loud.

Room Tip: See review for important info regarding room selection.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I loved the Plaza hotel! We were travelling Route 66 and were headed to Santa Fe when bad weather and exhaustion made us take a right turn to Las Vegas NM and the Plaza. I'm so glad we did. The reception staff were welcoming and the room was large and clean. Breakfast was included in the very reasonable price and was delicious (it was the only 'proper' cup of tea that I had during the whole 3 weeks holiday in the States - very welcome!). We wandered around Las Vegas the following morning, which is a lovely town. The staff were also very helpful when we discovered that we had left our mobile phone charger in the hotel room and forwarded it on to our next destination without any problems at all. Lovely place, would stay again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Surrey, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

When we arrived the computer systems were all down and I did not have my confirmation email to hand. The man on the desk was rather stressed about it I think as he tried numerous computers to get into the system but we just waited patiently - these things happen. He gave us the keys to a room and I asked him if it was a room with a view of the Plaza. He said no it was not. I was sure I had booked a Plaza view room but thought, oh well, perhaps the room will have a decent view anyway. We went up to the room and it was really gloomy with a view of only a dingy light well, musty and with no TV. I remembered that I had definitely booked a Plaza view room and there was certainly no way we were spending the night in the designated room. I went back to the desk and said I had definitely booked a Plaza view room and it hadn't looked online anything like the one we had been given. The man grudgingly said it could be rearranged but did make out it was a bit of a favour! My husband had a quick look through the gloomy room book whilst I was gone and discovered plenty of others who had been very disappointed with that room too. So we went along to the Plaza View room and it was beautiful & historic (like the picture on the website). So once we got the right room we were very pleased.
We ate in the restaurant that evening and unfortunately that was disappointment No. 2 - food was very average, not tasty at all and rather overcooked. I had salmon and it was very dry. A bit like school dinners really.
Disappointment No. 3 was breakfast. The included B&B breakfast did not offer any choice at all. It was a bacon & eggs platter and was fairly standard served by rather brusque staff. We actually would have preferred to have had a fruit/cereal option instead but that was not allowed. Also, you could have either orange juice or coffee - but not both, which seemed rather mean! The final straw was that we noticed that another couple who were also on the same B&B package received a large orange juice from a different waitress - and our orange juice was miniscule! We asked if we could have some more and the waitress said no - and insisted that the other diners were 'paying' - we know they were B&B like us and actually - hadn't we all 'paid'?
Basil Fawlty would not have been out of place here!
Overall we were disappointed here which was a shame, because it's a lovely historic place and without too much effort could have been so much better. I found my original email confirmation and when we left I mentioned to the desk clerk that we had booked a plaza view room - of course he would have probably known that by then because the computers were working again - not a glimmer of an apology or even a smile - Oh well.
A couple of the staff, a man who seemed to help out around the lobby and a girl who was behind the desk some of the time seemed very pleasant, so it wasn't all bad.
Moral of story -
Make sure you book a Plaza View King Room - they're very nice & good value.
Make sure you have confirmation email to hand when you arrive - unlike me!
Don't eat dinner there.
Beware the breakfast mafia!
Don't think we would stay there again unfortunately.

Room Tip: King Plaza View is the way to go!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!