“Don't Ask Me About the Flies!” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 42 restaurants in Las Vegas
Cuisines: Mexican
Houston, Texas
“Don't Ask Me About the Flies!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

I took my family there 2 weeks ago. We were the first ones there for dinner, so picked out our table and ordered. We were next to the window and noticed that there were quite a lot of flies on them. I asked for a different table, but the waitress said that it didn't matter, there were flies everywhere. I walked abound a little and she was right. There was well over 100 flies in this small dining room, on every table, window and wall! I asked her if they could do something about them, but she said the owner did not let them swat them.

So we got our food, and the flies swarmed us. They were on the table, water pitcher, our food, our drinks, EVERYWHERE! We swatted more than we ate and talked. What a lousy dining environment.

But, I have to admit, the food was good (only the chips were stale), and my green chili was very good. And the prices were resonable too.

So why not kill the flies? I asked the owner on the way out and he waved me off and said. "We don't have a lot of flies. The other resturants have a lot more flies than we do." What? I didn't ask about the other guys, I wanted to know why you ruined our dinner with YOUR flies. But he didn't seem to care, so we tipped the waitress (not her fault) and we left.

So, my third visit to Johnny's will be my last visit to Johnny's. So long pal!

• Visited August 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

71% Recommend
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Eggs,Eggs,Eggs and burnt chorizo”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

I went to Johnny's for breakfast and with the exception of the pancakes, everything came with eggs! For a person who doesn't eat eggs or needs to watch their cholesterol levels this is not welcome news. I ordered carne adovada expecting morsels of pork marinated in red chile and instead received burnt metallic tasting chorizo. The beans had good flavor and the potatoes were crisp. The red chile sauce however, was made from chile powder rather than pods which added to the disenchantment with the meal. The service was mediocre and overall I would give the experience a C.

• Visited August 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011 via mobile

The ground meat tasted old & didn't smell right; don't go to the restrooms- yikes

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Manitou Springs CO
“Great place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

We stop there everytime we are heading south. They have a Las Vegas breakfast for less than $5, it includes two eggs, choice of meat, potatoes covered in red or green chili with toast or torts. The green chili is great. Also had a green chili plate for lunch with potatoes, beans and posole covered in green chili also very good. The service is always good. Very good food at good price.

• Visited February 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Like water for northern New Mexican cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010 via mobile

Repeat visit to a favorite of ours on the I 25 northern route.
Food so good it brought tears to my eyes. The red chili and tamales were especially delicious. Low key local historic and a bit kitchy decor but hey I am not that into atmosphere for lunch. Friendly wait staff and fast kitchen. Three generations were there the day we went. It's no wonder it has staying power.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere