“Las Cruces Mesilla Valley” 4 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn Las Cruces Mesilla Valley
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   790 Avenida de Mesilla, Las Cruces, NM 88005   |
Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in Las Cruces
Eagle River, Alaska, USA
“Las Cruces Mesilla Valley”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

It was great to be greeted with a snack and water. The breakfast enhances the value of the stay. We had a great experience. The staff could express more cheerfulness, but they were courteous.
We have stayed here several times and this was probably the best stay. The staff was repectful and housekeeping was awesome!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
South Jordan, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My wife and her sis-in-law stayed here 1/31-2/1/13. The staff were very friendly and did all they could to make the stay comfortable, but the property had too many problems that can only be solved by a total workover/remodel. Rooms were not clean: dirty carpets, dirty showers. The heat/air conditioner cycled from heat to cool without any change in setting. Carpet in one room had serious trip-hazard carpet seams. Some lamps didn't work. TV in my wife's room didn't work. Phone had problems. The staff had them move to different rooms the second night, but it wasn't any better. Not clean. Neither room phone worked for the wake-up call. My wife overheard the maintenance man tell the clerk about the heat/cool problem-he acted surprised when he told her. I did a very critical response to the company's post-stay survey, and received a very nice, apologetic response from the local manager. She said the place is scheduled for major work this summer (2013). The reservation lady originally gave us a reduced rate on account my wife was there for her brother's funeral, but even the lower rate was definitely not worth the experience. This is the only LQ we have been disappointed by, and I hope they get the place taken care of. My wife told me to be sure to compliment the staff for their attempts to help the situation, so...Great Work, Staff!!

Room Tip: Go to the LQ down the street.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The good thing about this room was the price. I came down to Las Cruces during graduation weekend at NMSU and got a room for under $60.00 a night. The hotel is generally clean, the beds are comfortable, and the television is very nice. However, I had numerous issues during my stay. My first night, the battery in the smoke detector was getting low so it chirped every few minutes so I couldn't sleep. I called down to the front desk and asked if somebody could change the battery so it would stop chirping and the front desk clerk said there was nobody there that could do it. I then asked if I could just come down and get a battery and do it myself and she told me I could not do that either. Finally, I told her that I am just going to take the battery out so I can sleep and she told me I could not do that either. I ended up having to pack up all my stuff in the middle of the night because they had no way of replacing the battery in my smoke detector.

On my last night there, Sunday, December 16, I was laying in bed watching Sunday Night Football when the power went out. I expected an emergency generator to kick in or power to be restored at some point but it never was. Nobody from the hotel ever came by or contacted me all night. In the morning I woke up when it was still dark outside and the power was still not on. I hit my head trying to find the bathroom in the dark and then attempted to brush my teeth in the pitch black. I couldn't even charge my phone to use it as a makeshift flashlight. I then gathered up my luggage and made my way into the hallway where it was also pitch black. The emergency lights weren't even on. I walked right through the lobby, past the front desk, and out the front doors. I could see two employees behind the front desk peering out the blinds as I passed and neither one said one thing to me or acknowledged my existence. When I got to the parking lot, I discovered that the entire block was without power and they appeared to be installing new lines in the street. I don't know if this "blackout" was planned or not, but either way the hotel did nothing to prepare guests for it and did not compensate us in any way. If it was planned, the hotel should have warned its guests that there would be no power and offered to walk them to the other La Quinta across the street. I understand that the power goes out and it's not necessarily the hotel's fault, but it is the hotel's responsibility to take care of its guests. In this instance the hotel did absolutely nothing which is ridiculous! It was lights out from 8:00pm untill 6:30am when I left the next morning. No explanation, apology, or effort whatsoever on part of the hotel on this matter is pathetic.

I also mailed this hotel a letter of complaint about my experience and never heard a response from anyone. I don't care how cheap the rooms are, I would never stay at this particular hotel again as this lack of service is unacceptable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Don't confuse this with the La Quinta Inn & Suites (and notice the slightly different name), also in Las Cruces and a rock throw away from this inn. The one being reviewed is right on the Avenida de Mesilla, while the other is down a side street.

First of all, the good news: I received an amazing price with AARP discount for a room with a jetted tub, and I greatly enjoyed the tub, which worked just fine. And the staff were friendly. Those two things raised my rating to average, which otherwise would have been worse.

The bad news: There were lots of little things wrong with the room, which was just not up to the standard I had come to expect from La Quinta. With every flush of the toilet I had to raise the lid and untangle two floats, or otherwise the toilet would not stop running. The drain stopper in the sink would not stay closed, though I found I could sort of make it work by tightening the nut that is the usual suspect as much as I could with my fingers, then holding the stopper down with my finger until the sink was partly filled. A number of electrical outlets near the beds had been capped, due apparently to inoperability, and this left no outlets to which I could attach a CPAP machine. On the subject of outlets, there was a six-for-two expansion plug in the outlets near the desk, but I couldn't get my laptop to work on them until I figured out that the top bank of three outlets didn't work, but the bottom three did. And it was only after I had poured cereal on my milk at breakfast that I discovered that no spoons were available, and nobody from whom to request them anywhere in sight. (Ever eat cereal with a fork, then drink the milk from the bowl? In extremis, it works.)

Again, I did enjoy the price and the tub, but I'm afraid I won't be back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Satellite Beach, Fl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We were bit disappointed with this LQ. We've been using them lately and have found them to be good quality at a reasonable price. I'm sorry to say this one didn't quite measure up, other than the staff, especially Tori. Our room was less than average in cleanliness, and the door kept swinging open. We were lucky enough to find this out before sitting down to dinner.

We left the room but had not progressed beyond the hotel grounds when I realized I had left my wallet in the room. Upon returning we found the door wide open. Luckily no one of bad character had come across it before us, and we chalked to up to one of us leaving it open but it happened again when we returned and were in the room. We then figured out it was due to a defective self closing feature found on all hotel doors. Beyond this problem the breakfast was mediocre at best, with less than mediocre coffee. Hard to recommend this LQ unless others in area are worse.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Dispite the fact that I booked our room for the wrong date, our extremely friendly and helpful La Quinta desk staff got us exactly what we wanted. Room was clean, bed great. Price was perfect. Nicest room we stayed in of many on a trip across the US.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Been to La Quinta Inn Las Cruces Mesilla Valley? Share your experiences!