“Great value, not a great room” 3 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn Las Cruces Mesilla Valley
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   790 Avenida de Mesilla, Las Cruces, NM 88005   |
Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Las Cruces
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Great value, not a great room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Don't confuse this with the La Quinta Inn & Suites (and notice the slightly different name), also in Las Cruces and a rock throw away from this inn. The one being reviewed is right on the Avenida de Mesilla, while the other is down a side street.

First of all, the good news: I received an amazing price with AARP discount for a room with a jetted tub, and I greatly enjoyed the tub, which worked just fine. And the staff were friendly. Those two things raised my rating to average, which otherwise would have been worse.

The bad news: There were lots of little things wrong with the room, which was just not up to the standard I had come to expect from La Quinta. With every flush of the toilet I had to raise the lid and untangle two floats, or otherwise the toilet would not stop running. The drain stopper in the sink would not stay closed, though I found I could sort of make it work by tightening the nut that is the usual suspect as much as I could with my fingers, then holding the stopper down with my finger until the sink was partly filled. A number of electrical outlets near the beds had been capped, due apparently to inoperability, and this left no outlets to which I could attach a CPAP machine. On the subject of outlets, there was a six-for-two expansion plug in the outlets near the desk, but I couldn't get my laptop to work on them until I figured out that the top bank of three outlets didn't work, but the bottom three did. And it was only after I had poured cereal on my milk at breakfast that I discovered that no spoons were available, and nobody from whom to request them anywhere in sight. (Ever eat cereal with a fork, then drink the milk from the bowl? In extremis, it works.)

Again, I did enjoy the price and the tub, but I'm afraid I won't be back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Satellite Beach, Fl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We were bit disappointed with this LQ. We've been using them lately and have found them to be good quality at a reasonable price. I'm sorry to say this one didn't quite measure up, other than the staff, especially Tori. Our room was less than average in cleanliness, and the door kept swinging open. We were lucky enough to find this out before sitting down to dinner.

We left the room but had not progressed beyond the hotel grounds when I realized I had left my wallet in the room. Upon returning we found the door wide open. Luckily no one of bad character had come across it before us, and we chalked to up to one of us leaving it open but it happened again when we returned and were in the room. We then figured out it was due to a defective self closing feature found on all hotel doors. Beyond this problem the breakfast was mediocre at best, with less than mediocre coffee. Hard to recommend this LQ unless others in area are worse.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Dispite the fact that I booked our room for the wrong date, our extremely friendly and helpful La Quinta desk staff got us exactly what we wanted. Room was clean, bed great. Price was perfect. Nicest room we stayed in of many on a trip across the US.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Killeen, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Great price and no charge for dogs. Great service. Very large room. Comfortable beds.Perfect TV reception. Working internet..... I was most impressed with the convenience of opening the sliding door and letting my dogs right out to the courtyard. This is the 1st hotel I have been to that I wasn't dreading taking the dogs outside. Very pleased with our stay, and will return if we take a trip heading that way again.

Room Tip: If traveling with dogs, request first floor, and let them know in advance.