“ABVI/Big Chile Inn...A Jalapeno of a Stay” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2160 West Picacho Street, Las Cruces, NM 88005   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #4 of 32 hotels in Las Cruces
Edinburg, Texas
“ABVI/Big Chile Inn...A Jalapeno of a Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

As we drove from South Texas toward Las Cruces we were bombarded with billboards of the many choices and options of hotels and possible places to stay. OMG! Seriously...take exit 139 on Motel Ave to ABVI's Big Chile Inn where they have the Biggest Chile in the world. We were greeted by the owners, David and Lina, upon our arrival! My husband, two children and sheep dog needed to stay in Las Cruces for 4 days as we searched for a new home with a job transfer. We reserved two rooms, which were facing a beautiful courtyard. Being that Spring is just coming about, the flowers and trees were just beginning to flower and all become green. It is beautiful! The Koi pond is outrageous...nicely done! The complimentary chips, salsa, soda and water upon our arrival were much appreciated by all of us, even the dog. Both rooms were fresh and clean. The Wi-Fi, microwave and refrigerator in both rooms was also a definite asset! The weather even allowed the kids to go swimming and us to lounge and relax by the pool. A nice surprise was that we were able to GRILL in the courtyard and sit at the gazebo, rather than have to eat out every night. When the lights are on at night, it is truly spectacular. They are a family owned business and their dedication to their guests and their hotel show in every way. You can stay in fancier hotels (and we have), but we certainly were impressed with the good prices, nice people, and clean rooms! A definite place to stay whether you're just passing through or spending a few days.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

409 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Florence, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We reserved online. The property was described as newly remodeled. When we got there we were greeted with a filthy front door mat, no service at the desk, a lobby filled with a hodge podge of cheap Imports for sale crowded around the breakfast area, and a tired worn out ugly guest room with mismatched furniture. The Owner/Manager was dressed unprofessionally and was poor at customer service with guests. We asked her to cancel our reservation and she refused, saying that she couldn't because the reservation had been made online. She did not offer us a refund. When I spoke with Guest Relations at America's Best Value Inn, they told me that the local Manager is the only one who can refund our money. Because of the condition of the property and the unprofessional service, I have filed a false advertising complaint online and have taken the matter up with my credit card company. At $69 plus a pet fee, the Motel 6 in Deming is a nicely remodeled property with no pet fee and stellar customer service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
davidgLC, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
A grand piano, granite countertop breakfast area and snacks for guests is a hodge podge ? These folks arrived 2 hours before checkin while we were still cleaning rooms. They demanded to cancel their reservation, before viewing a room, because they had seen a billboard for a cheaper room at another property. When reminded of the cancellation policy of their guaranteed reservation, they started looking for reasons. Dusty front door area ? Las Cruces was under a NOAA wind advisory Friday. Dead garden ? Officially it is still winter, plants are just beginning to bud. No false advertising here.
Moriarty, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband and I highly recommend this hotel. Very clean, excellent prices, so friendly. And very accomodating. We had our meet & greet there so we had a large group show up. No one had not even one complaint. The owners welcomed us and whatever we needed that they could help with they did. They went above and beyond. Their courtyard has been designed with several places that you can gather and hang out. It is not like you are taking the only sitting area. They have a pond as well with real colorful fish, a waterfall, barbeque..lots of amenities. We will be gathering there again next year. We all decided before we left. They also have fencing all around which we felt was awesome so that our group did not have to worry about the motorcycles being stolen, tampered with etc... Like I said and awesome place to stay and highly recommended.... lots of places around to go eat at even within walking distance

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
San Marcos, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

What can I possibly say about the Big Chili Inn other than; THIS PLACE MOST ASSUREDLY AND RIGHTEOUSLY, ROCKS!

Every year I sponsor a spring ride for a motorcycle group. This year we had about a dozen riders. The Big Chili Inn fitted our needs perfectly. Bear in mind that this is not the Taj Mahal or a 4 star hotel, but if you need a place to sponsor a MC event to enjoy the myriad of riding opportunities in the area... this is your place.

They have comfortable (not fancy) rooms at reasonable rates. They have kitchenette "apartments" that provide a common meeting area and group meals. They have a marvelous inner garden that includes plenty of outdoor seating and barbecue pits. They have free WiFi. If I had one complaint, it's that they do not have coffee makers in the rooms. However, that is a minor detail that can easily be planned around.

Other than that, this place is charmingly quirky, very comfortable and worked perfectly for our 2013 Spring Ride.

Room Tip: The upper rooms on the east side have a marvelous view of the Organ Mountains...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Vail, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This review isn't from a super-picky traveler. I don't need chocolate on the pillows, or the fluffiest down comforters, or a line of fine hair care products (I prefer to bring my own shampoo and shower gel, anyway). I booked this motel based on the reviews on Trip Advisor and, for the most part, wasn't disappointed -- I was on a road trip by myself from Tucson to Austin for a family member's wedding reception and needed a comfortable but relatively inexpensive place to spend the night enroute. The Red Chile Inn (America's Best Value Inn in Las Cruces) served the purpose well and I'd almost certainly stay there again.

But I do like to write "balanced" reviews -- in fairness to both the readers of this review as well as the owners or managers of the property, who might benefit from the feedback. So, here goes...

First, let's look at the positives. The people who own and run this place are absolutely top notch fantastic. I was SHOWN to my room, not handed a key and sent packing. They turned things on and made certain everything worked. They came back and gave me free chips and salsa. They obviously care about the people who stay there and want to make everyone feel welcome and comfortable. I was looking for a place to get some carry-out and they recommended a perfect place down the street. I also liked the "hominess" of this motel -- it's the kind of place where you feel comfortable enough to go out and wash your car in the parking lot without people looking at your sideways. The courtyard in the center of the complex has a gas BBQ grill if you want to do you own cooking. It's just -- nice.

But there is another side to the Red Chile Inn that the owners need to tend to -- I'll call that "curb appeal". The owners are obviously pouring their heart and soul into rehabbing an old motel into something attractive, and for that they should be commended. There are a few things they haven't taken care of that really don't cost very much -- that can cause bad first impressions. Here's a few I can think of:

1. Door knobs: the knobs on the room doors are old and dirty, and the keys have to be wiggled around a little to get them to work. If you replace those old clunky doorknobs with something more attractive and fitting for a motel/hotel, you'll eliminate the "icky!" first impression with the knobs. There are people who judge a book by the cover.

2. Guest information: there was nothing in the room telling me anything about the amenities of the hotel. I needed a little ice for a small cooler in the morning before hitting the road, and couldn't find the ice machine. You've done so much to make the motel more functional and interesting -- tell people about it in a fact sheet in the room.

3. Bathroom fixtures and faucets: The bathroom can be the most important part of an accommodation. A dirty bathroom, or something with outdated or problematic fixtures can be a huge turn-off. The shower head in the bathroom was made for a midget and needs to be raised. No need to rip out the wall -- some nice chrome piping, elbow joints, a new shower head, and you're done. The sink faucet was seriously dated and had some sort of mineral deposit grunge on it that I wiped off. Buy a new faucet on sale at Home Depot that looks a little more luxurious and you've done well. Also, the caulking was sloppily done in spots and made the bathroom look like something I'd expect at a Motel No-Tell. This is easily remedied by removing the old caulking and replacing it with fresh caulk with clean lines.

Also, although not the fault of the owners, the area of town that this motel is located in looks run-down. There are several motels down the street that look like they're inhabited by some shady characters. The fact that the front desk was evacuated at night and no one was available gives me great pause -- I felt like I paid for a room and then was abandoned. I was NOT happy to get up the next morning and discover the lobby locked up with a sign giving opening and closing hours. Sorry, folks -- just being real -- I expect a hotel/motel to be manned 24/7 for my safety. The owners of this motel can't change the neighborhood, but they can at least invest in having someone at the motel night and day, monitoring things, so that guests feel tended to.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

After 3 nights in Tucson, we had to spend a night in Las Cruces. I found this place on TA and decided to give it a chance. The motel is definitely dated, but the owners have done such a nice job making it look newer and nicer. The courtyard is gorgeous and the lobby is nearly finished with redecorating (paint, etc). We checked in about 930pm and the owner was super nice! She walked me to my room, had a few more towels brought in, and then brought us a plate of chips and salsa. After a very long day, it was refreshing. We are planning a vacation now to go to Las Cruces just to stay there and see the local sights.

• Stayed March 2013
Mountain Home, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

The owners were very nice and the room looked fine when I checked in but there was one thing that would cause me to not stay here again. The toilet seats are the smallest I have ever seen. They must have been designed for women or children because there is no way a man could use it. It's one of those things you don't check until you need to use it. For $10.00 more they could have a man sized toilet seat in the room. Needless to say, I had to leave very early the next morning before breakfast was even served or the office was open.

Room Tip: I you are a man ask if they have any man sized toilet seats yet before confirming your stay.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
davidgLC, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
The toilets are standard size, not elongated bowl. We are sorry you did not find it comfortable.

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!