“Good Coffee and Bad Food” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Fast Food
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Good Coffee and Bad Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

The coffee and funky atmosphere are pretty good but watch out for the baked goods. The chocolate chip cookie I had was rather hard and not too tasty. The blueberry scone was terrible...very doughy, dense and lacking in flavor

Visited April 2013

El Paso, Texas
“Great start--or anytime--when pedaling(or motoring)!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

On Good Friday, 29MAR2013, Elena celebrated her birthday with a pedal from la MesaNM to Old Mesilla and back. This cycle along NM28 was rather great considering the following: Friday road use was light, very little breeze, not too hot, and a rather flat route despite that part South of Stahlman's Pecans being a bit challenging to pedal(narrow w/ little shoulder). The highlight of pedaling through Old Mesilla is not only observing yesterday in a well-preserved, active, mission & square, but eating (Almost always the highlight for me anywhere!). The Bean is in an excellent location, between the junctions of NM28, NM359, &NM292. Besides extremely good food & java, the friendly folks behind the counter are super professional and it is such a delight to see that this former old-style gas station has been re-born such a fantastic eatery! I really like the mural/artwork on the ceiling of the outside former pump area. This architectural gem may not meet the historic building code of Old Mesilla square, but that's OK; it meets the historic building code of the rise of the automobile! I love it here, especially when getting ready to spend the day on my Doublevision!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Horrible food, good coffee!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

My wife and I came after riding all morning. The young lady at the front was rude. She seemed to be more interested in texting and talking to her friends then waiting on us. Her and whoever was cooking in the kitchen seemed to be having a party laughing and carrying on. My wife ordered the quiche and I had a veggie wrap. It took over 30 minutes for 2 simple items to come out. There was only 2 other tables with people and they were already eating. I spoke with the lady next to me and she was eating a salad and said she waited over half an hour as well. The food left a lot to be desired. Quiche was undercooked and runny. My wrap was nothing to write home about, the lettuce was wilty. We tried to end with a dessert and ordered a scone and cinnamon roll. They were both burnt and tasted bad. Upon leaving I spoke with the lady once again who claimed to be a manager. She simply said we haven't had anyone else complain but you today. So eating less than half of what we ordred we left and went to another local restaurant. On a side note the coffee was quite good as I believe it is roasted in house. However we will not return because we can go elsewhere and get good coffee and better food and service. Judging from some of the other comments left on this page I wasn't the first to complain.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Chicago
“When the hippies get old.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Good gathering and people watching place for breakfast. A beautiful girl at the counter kindly chats up the old men. She had them coming in groves. My wife was the only other female in the place the day we were there. I am 62 and headed back by myself.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Great Coffee, but not so much for lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

A buddy wanted to meet for lunch and I let him choose. He choose the Bean. First and foremost, the coffee is very good and the staff is very friendly. Almost a 60's like coffee house atmospehre.

However, for me at least, the food menu was very sparse. I ended up with a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich on wheat with veggie chips. I found the sandwich fairly blah and finally I would charge the menu with the same issue. Lot's of health foods for a yuppie crowd. If you like that kind of fare, then you should stop by.

I would mention that the breakfast menu looked more interesting. If it is just coffee you want. go ahead.

• Visited February 2013