“Probably the best HIE we've stayed at.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Las Cruces
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Probably the best HIE we've stayed at.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

This HIE is the best Holiday Inn Express we've ever stayed at and we have been to many. The decor is great, all staff interactions were extremely positive. It's a larger facility and as such has two elevators so even on a busy weekend, there was always an elevator available. It's very near, couple blocks, to the Events Center, making this HIE a convienient location for attending events there. Breakfast was the usual HIE but the lady in attendance was absolutely on top of things. Very highly recommend this property.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Daniel D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Las Cruces, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Vagabundos,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with our property.
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay as much as we did having you as our guest. We will be passing your wonderful comments to our staff.
We hope to have you and your family as our guests in the future. Once again, we thank you for great comments and taking the time to review our hotel.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

I was surprised to read the earlier reviews. We found the hotel clean and friendly. There is a Mexican restaurant next door that was good, so we didn't have to drive. The room was clean with a really comfortable bed. The breakfast bar was also clean and well stocked. We'd certainly stay here again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Daniel D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Las Cruces, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear ScrappyTexan,
Thank you for taking the time to review you recent stay with our property.
We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We will be passing your wonderful comments to our staff.
We look forward to having you and your family as our guest in the future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

After a hot nights sleep, I read some reviews and I'm looking at the motion sensor right now. And it frustrates me that this is constantly checking to see if there's activity in the room so it can shut of as much as it can, just to save money. But when I wave my hand back and forth in front of it while it's set for 60 and it's like 80 in the room, and it doesn't turn on, we're gonna have a problem. Especially when I'm trying to sleep. Good thing it was cold outside so I could open a window up and finally get relief.

• Stayed March 2013
Daniel D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Las Cruces, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Jmanno33o,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with our property.
We apologize for the inconvenience our air conditioning system caused you. Please know that are currently taking steps to remedy this situation.
Once again, we thank you for your review and we hope to have you as our guest in the future.

Flower Mound, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

At 12 am I heard a train for the second time, with the first being at 11 pm. This is not where you want to stay for a restful night sleep. The rooms were clean and staff very nice but the location is very poor if you are seeking a restful night sleep.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Daniel D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Las Cruces, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Lisa H,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to review our property.

We would also like to apologize for the inconvenience the train caused you during your stay. Please know that we are taking steps to remedy this situation. Unfortunately, it is not in our power to stop or change the schedule of the train we are looking for other alternatives to minimize the noise heard in the rooms.

Once again thank you for you review, and we hope to have you as our guest in the future.

Front Office Manager.
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

It's been 3 weeks since my stay, and I wanted to wait to see whether I still felt this was important enough to say after giving it a little "distance." I've realized that if I were shopping for a hotel in Las Cruces, I would have wanted to know this in advance. So, here goes.

This is a very nice hotel, on the surface. It's clean, the housekeeping staff is outstanding (¡Graçias, Maricella!), the breakfast is excellent, the front desk staff is generally friendly and helpful, the room makes a good impression when you enter it and set all your stuff down ... it seems like it's going to be a really good stay ... until you lie down on the mattress.

The mattresses are NOT what one expects from a Holiday Inn Express. They slump in the middle as though they were 20-year-old mattresses in some cheap Route 66 motel. If one were sharing the bed with someone, both would be clinging to their respective sides, trying not to slide into the middle. These mattresses are not firm or flat or supportive in any way. They're a complete "disconnect" from the rest of the room experience. I couldn't believe this ... had never had a bed experience like this in ANY other HIE.

Lying there, slumped into the middle of the mattress, I called the front desk, thinking maybe it was just this room. "Do ALL of the rooms at the hotel have the same mattress and box spring sets?" "Yes," he replied, without showing any interest in why I was asking. His response made me realize switching rooms would be of no benefit.

I looked at the mattress. It was a Sealy. And on the sewn-on tag, it said something like (and here's where I wish I would have written this down), "Not designed to be used with a foundation." Did that mean it wasn't designed for use with a box spring and should have been on a flat riser so it wouldn't break down in the middle and sag? I think the date was on the tag and the mattress wasn't more than 5 years old ... but it behaved like a mattress from the early 90s.

The point to the developer and manager of this property is: what is the point of building a hotel and sinking all that money into it, only to have the main product that people are buying from you—a good night's sleep—compromised by a substandard mattress and box springs?? To all potential travelers with back issues: THINK TWICE ABOUT STAYING HERE if sleeping on a slumped-in mattress will make you wake up with bad back pain, as it did me. Again, everything else about the room was nice, but if, when you climb into the actual bed, it magically becomes—mattress-wise— a Route 66 "dive motel" ... well, what's the point of all the nice linens covering that bad mattress?

The other issue was with the "wet area" of the hotel. I arrived at the property after a very challenging 7-hour drive in 26 degree temperatures and I was looking forward to warming up my core body temperature and relaxing in the hotel's steam room. It was broken, with a sign on it saying such, with no indication or care expressed for guests about when it might be repaired. The "second choice" for warming up, the whirlpool/spa, had SUCH BAD WATER QUALITY, one could actually SEE what looked like about a pound of human dead skin cells (and who-knows-what-else) floating in the hot, chemically soupy water. The spa SERIOUSLY needed to be drained, power-washed and sanitized, re-filled with fresh water and re-chemicalized. Whoever on staff was in charge of the wet area was REALLY dropping the ball and creating a very non-welcoming/non-HIE experience for the guests.

In short, 1) ALL this property's mattresses and box springs need to be replaced—they are at odds with and a shame to the HIE brand—and 2) management needs to get on the person in charge of the wet area. Otherwise, everything else was good. And, again, the housekeeping staff are outstanding.

My advice to management on this ... remember the bottom line is that what you're promising to your guests is a good night's sleep. And that core promise is being violated at your property by the slumpy condition of the very product at the center of that promise: your mattresses/box springs!

Sorry I didn't speak to you (manager) about this in person when I was there. I was exhausted from the drive when I arrived and finally laid down on the mattress, and very exhausted when I got up in the morning after trying to sleep a full night on it, and I was just too tired to talk with you and didn't want to leave a verbal note with the front desk staff that may or may not get to you. I felt that, after three weeks, if it were still important, I would write a TripAdvisor review for you and potential guests, as, if I were traveling to Las Cruces again, I would want to know this about the property's mattresses so I could make a decision not to stay here until you post to readers/travelers that the property's mattresses have been replaced and all has been rectified, which would make your property worth a stay once again.

Wishing you all the best. Thanks for taking the time to read and understand the importance of this. Whoever bought those mattress/box spring sets for this property all those years ago made a huge mistake and bought something not in alignment with the HIE brand promise.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Daniel D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Las Cruces, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Califraska,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience our mattress caused you. Currently we are working with Simmons our mattress brand to remedy the situation. Unfortunately, a specific date has not been determined yet.

We also apologize for the condition of your pool/spa area. We assure you that we maintain the pool/spa area on a daily basis.

We will pass Maricela your wonderful comments, and we thank you for your review and bringing these issues to our attention.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

we traveled to this holiday inn express, by accident as there are 2 hies in town, and of course our reservation was at the other one. The guy at the front desk seeing that we were tired of driving, took it upon himself to match the rate we were getting at the other hotel so we didnt have to drive any further. He also called and cancelled the other reservation so we didn't get charged. the entire check in process took what felt like less than 5 minutes. the gentleman even took the time to recommend a great mexican restaurant that he and his family call a "family tradition" it was excellent.

the room was far more than i expected, clean, and comfortable with two beds and a sofa sleeper because traveling with two teenagers they do not like sharing beds. the breakfast bar ladies were very nice and attentive. we will definitely be staying at this holiday inn express on my way back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Daniel D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Las Cruces, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Jose45_13,

Thank you for taking the time to review you recent stay with our property.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We will also forward your comments to the clerks at the Front Desk, as well as the Breakfast Bar attendants.

We look forward to having you and your family as our guests in the future. Once again thank you for you review.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

So you want to book a stay at a nice HIE in the middle of the New Mexico desert? Well think again. This hotel does not provide air conditioning to its guests... well sort of.

What do I mean by sort of? Well if you do jumping jacks or run around the room the air conditioning may work. However, if you say want to sit down or God forbid want to sleep, air conditioning is NOT provided. Why? Cause this HIE wants to save a few bucks and uses a motion sensor for regulating use of the air conditioning thereby cheating its guests including Priority Club members like me out of cool air in the middle of the desert.

To be clear - if you are not CONSTANTLY moving you will boil in ungodly heat. I did not sleep for even 5 minutes due to the room being 87 degrees. The front desk girl (who I spoke to at 1am and 4am) said this is the way the system was designed by management and that I was SOL. I left a message for Beatrice the head manager to call me back and she did not return my call.

Please learn from my experience and save yourself from a night of endless misery while laying above the covers and sweating and praying to the air conditioning Gods to avenge you.

Room Tip: A room at a different hotel that provides AIR CONDITIONING and does not require you to do jumping ja...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Beatriz Q, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Las Cruces, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Telecommute Traveler,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our property.

We apologize for any inconvienence and discomfort our heating/cooling system caused you.
Currently we are working on a solution for a more efficient cooling system.

I personally apologize for not contacting you in a more timely manner. Please know we take every guest concern very seriously.

Once again, Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Beatriz Quintana
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Las Cruces

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Las Cruces? Share your experiences!