“Train Noise” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Las Cruces
Flower Mound, Texas
“Train Noise”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

At 12 am I heard a train for the second time, with the first being at 11 pm. This is not where you want to stay for a restful night sleep. The rooms were clean and staff very nice but the location is very poor if you are seeking a restful night sleep.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Daniel D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Las Cruces, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Lisa H,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to review our property.

We would also like to apologize for the inconvenience the train caused you during your stay. Please know that we are taking steps to remedy this situation. Unfortunately, it is not in our power to stop or change the schedule of the train we are looking for other alternatives to minimize the noise heard in the rooms.

Once again thank you for you review, and we hope to have you as our guest in the future.

Front Office Manager.
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Las Cruces

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

It's been 3 weeks since my stay, and I wanted to wait to see whether I still felt this was important enough to say after giving it a little "distance." I've realized that if I were shopping for a hotel in Las Cruces, I would have wanted to know this in advance. So, here goes.

This is a very nice hotel, on the surface. It's clean, the housekeeping staff is outstanding (¡Graçias, Maricella!), the breakfast is excellent, the front desk staff is generally friendly and helpful, the room makes a good impression when you enter it and set all your stuff down ... it seems like it's going to be a really good stay ... until you lie down on the mattress.

The mattresses are NOT what one expects from a Holiday Inn Express. They slump in the middle as though they were 20-year-old mattresses in some cheap Route 66 motel. If one were sharing the bed with someone, both would be clinging to their respective sides, trying not to slide into the middle. These mattresses are not firm or flat or supportive in any way. They're a complete "disconnect" from the rest of the room experience. I couldn't believe this ... had never had a bed experience like this in ANY other HIE.

Lying there, slumped into the middle of the mattress, I called the front desk, thinking maybe it was just this room. "Do ALL of the rooms at the hotel have the same mattress and box spring sets?" "Yes," he replied, without showing any interest in why I was asking. His response made me realize switching rooms would be of no benefit.

I looked at the mattress. It was a Sealy. And on the sewn-on tag, it said something like (and here's where I wish I would have written this down), "Not designed to be used with a foundation." Did that mean it wasn't designed for use with a box spring and should have been on a flat riser so it wouldn't break down in the middle and sag? I think the date was on the tag and the mattress wasn't more than 5 years old ... but it behaved like a mattress from the early 90s.

The point to the developer and manager of this property is: what is the point of building a hotel and sinking all that money into it, only to have the main product that people are buying from you—a good night's sleep—compromised by a substandard mattress and box springs?? To all potential travelers with back issues: THINK TWICE ABOUT STAYING HERE if sleeping on a slumped-in mattress will make you wake up with bad back pain, as it did me. Again, everything else about the room was nice, but if, when you climb into the actual bed, it magically becomes—mattress-wise— a Route 66 "dive motel" ... well, what's the point of all the nice linens covering that bad mattress?

The other issue was with the "wet area" of the hotel. I arrived at the property after a very challenging 7-hour drive in 26 degree temperatures and I was looking forward to warming up my core body temperature and relaxing in the hotel's steam room. It was broken, with a sign on it saying such, with no indication or care expressed for guests about when it might be repaired. The "second choice" for warming up, the whirlpool/spa, had SUCH BAD WATER QUALITY, one could actually SEE what looked like about a pound of human dead skin cells (and who-knows-what-else) floating in the hot, chemically soupy water. The spa SERIOUSLY needed to be drained, power-washed and sanitized, re-filled with fresh water and re-chemicalized. Whoever on staff was in charge of the wet area was REALLY dropping the ball and creating a very non-welcoming/non-HIE experience for the guests.

In short, 1) ALL this property's mattresses and box springs need to be replaced—they are at odds with and a shame to the HIE brand—and 2) management needs to get on the person in charge of the wet area. Otherwise, everything else was good. And, again, the housekeeping staff are outstanding.

My advice to management on this ... remember the bottom line is that what you're promising to your guests is a good night's sleep. And that core promise is being violated at your property by the slumpy condition of the very product at the center of that promise: your mattresses/box springs!

Sorry I didn't speak to you (manager) about this in person when I was there. I was exhausted from the drive when I arrived and finally laid down on the mattress, and very exhausted when I got up in the morning after trying to sleep a full night on it, and I was just too tired to talk with you and didn't want to leave a verbal note with the front desk staff that may or may not get to you. I felt that, after three weeks, if it were still important, I would write a TripAdvisor review for you and potential guests, as, if I were traveling to Las Cruces again, I would want to know this about the property's mattresses so I could make a decision not to stay here until you post to readers/travelers that the property's mattresses have been replaced and all has been rectified, which would make your property worth a stay once again.

Wishing you all the best. Thanks for taking the time to read and understand the importance of this. Whoever bought those mattress/box spring sets for this property all those years ago made a huge mistake and bought something not in alignment with the HIE brand promise.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Daniel D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Las Cruces, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Califraska,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience our mattress caused you. Currently we are working with Simmons our mattress brand to remedy the situation. Unfortunately, a specific date has not been determined yet.

We also apologize for the condition of your pool/spa area. We assure you that we maintain the pool/spa area on a daily basis.

We will pass Maricela your wonderful comments, and we thank you for your review and bringing these issues to our attention.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

we traveled to this holiday inn express, by accident as there are 2 hies in town, and of course our reservation was at the other one. The guy at the front desk seeing that we were tired of driving, took it upon himself to match the rate we were getting at the other hotel so we didnt have to drive any further. He also called and cancelled the other reservation so we didn't get charged. the entire check in process took what felt like less than 5 minutes. the gentleman even took the time to recommend a great mexican restaurant that he and his family call a "family tradition" it was excellent.

the room was far more than i expected, clean, and comfortable with two beds and a sofa sleeper because traveling with two teenagers they do not like sharing beds. the breakfast bar ladies were very nice and attentive. we will definitely be staying at this holiday inn express on my way back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Daniel D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Las Cruces, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Jose45_13,

Thank you for taking the time to review you recent stay with our property.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We will also forward your comments to the clerks at the Front Desk, as well as the Breakfast Bar attendants.

We look forward to having you and your family as our guests in the future. Once again thank you for you review.

Front Office Manager
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

So you want to book a stay at a nice HIE in the middle of the New Mexico desert? Well think again. This hotel does not provide air conditioning to its guests... well sort of.

What do I mean by sort of? Well if you do jumping jacks or run around the room the air conditioning may work. However, if you say want to sit down or God forbid want to sleep, air conditioning is NOT provided. Why? Cause this HIE wants to save a few bucks and uses a motion sensor for regulating use of the air conditioning thereby cheating its guests including Priority Club members like me out of cool air in the middle of the desert.

To be clear - if you are not CONSTANTLY moving you will boil in ungodly heat. I did not sleep for even 5 minutes due to the room being 87 degrees. The front desk girl (who I spoke to at 1am and 4am) said this is the way the system was designed by management and that I was SOL. I left a message for Beatrice the head manager to call me back and she did not return my call.

Please learn from my experience and save yourself from a night of endless misery while laying above the covers and sweating and praying to the air conditioning Gods to avenge you.

Room Tip: A room at a different hotel that provides AIR CONDITIONING and does not require you to do jumping ja...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Beatriz Q, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Las Cruces, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Telecommute Traveler,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our property.

We apologize for any inconvienence and discomfort our heating/cooling system caused you.
Currently we are working on a solution for a more efficient cooling system.

I personally apologize for not contacting you in a more timely manner. Please know we take every guest concern very seriously.

Once again, Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Beatriz Quintana
Lawton, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I've spent several nights here over the last couple of years and really have no complaints. The rooms are always clean, the bed is comfy, the television has a decent selection of channels and the breakfast is quite good with eggs, bacon and cinnamon rolls. The only negative thing I can think of is the shower head in my room needed to be cleaned...it basically shot out in all directions and was impossible to use without setting it to one of the massage settings. Other than that, all of my stays here have been pleasant and uneventful.

Room Tip: Lobby can be a bit noisy...try to get upstairs if you can.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Beatriz Q, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Las Cruces, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Wayne777,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at our property.

We are glad you enjoy your stays when you come into Las Cruces.

We also apologize for the inconvienence with your shower head, and are currently taking measures to remedy the situation.

Once again, Thank you for your review and we look forward to having you as our guest.

Front Office Manager
Vail, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Good place to spend the night ... clean and comfortable ... TV, wifi work well ... breakfast better than average.
The bathroom clean and the bed very comfortable.
I didn't appreciate the odors others have noted.
Good value using a discount coupon.
Friendly and helpful staff ... I'd stop there again if I were staying overnight in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Allen T,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We are also happy you enjoyed your stay.

We appologize for our air freshener, and please know that we are in the process of taking steps to minimize the odor.

Once again, Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Daniel D
Front Desk Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I was here for 40 days. Everyone from the GM to Housekeeping are professionals. excelent suites and rooms. I travel 100% of the time and i never seen a team that really cares for there guests like this team! they have a names: Victor, Chris, Brian, Gabby,April,Crystal,Amy,Jesus and my favorite night auditor, Carol!! They are proof that Americas youth are professionals and well educated! when you spend the time i do on the road, you need a team to keep you going from faxing to a towel, They got it!
if you like mew restaurants they have all at a short distance from the hotel. It is quiet and no traffic sounds.

If you want to be treated well and get the best stay for your money this is the place to come.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Las Cruces? Share your experiences!