First of all: Read the filtered reviews. I don't know whether Nellie's is an advertiser with Yelp or not, but a lot of their two-star reviews gel filtered out, despite the fact that the poor rating is richly earned.
Here are all the things that are wrong with the restaurant:
1. It is so cramped that surely the fire marshal would have something to say about it. There's also nowhere to wait for tables, so when people are waiting it's in the heat outdoors.
2. Once you are inside, you get to be ignored by the waitresses for some unspecified amount of time. We've been there on several occasions and the waitresses' expressions and interactions with our table have been almost hostile (they do seem to be nice to some of the regulars). The guy who owns the place is nice but is a terrible manager.
3. The food may take forever to come to the table. This last time it took a half hour for the food to arrive, and more than 20 minutes for someone to bring chips and salsa over and take a drink order.
Here are the two things that are sort of OK about the restaurant:
1. The reason that this place gets 2 stars rather than 1 is that some of the food is OK. The chips are fresh, although it was obvious to me that the oil used for some of the chips and some of the beans was rancid this time. The green chile beef is very good, as are the eggs with chorizo. The rice is your average bad Spanish rice. Tortillas are good.
2. The prices are reasonable.
Overall, I find visiting Nellie's to be much more frustrating than it is enjoyable. If you are looking for good Mexican food in Las Cruces there are many, many better options.
If you own or manage Nellie's Cafe, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.