“Excellent Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 10 Las Cruces B&B and Inns
Ruidoso, New Mexico
“Excellent Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

For those who don't appreciate the romance and uniqueness of a 100 year old building, then this isn't the place for you. The negative comments by others may be their view of expecting a chain hotel with the smell of bleach! This is a unique and charming Inn and B&B. The host is there in the morning and then you have your time to relax and roam, or enjoy reading inside or outside on the beautiful patio. There is coffee in the kitchen, just like home. Plus, parking is in a courtyard and right outside the front door. The exterior door is coded and you can come and go as you wish. Take the time to enjoy history and art.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues, be sure and ask for a first floor room. Ask the person helping you ma...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

The house of Mr. Lundeen is very rich in works of art, collected over many years and he himself explained us. Our room was confortable and furnished with taste. Breakfast was extremely good ans we enjoyed the conversation with the other guests. The owners are very helpful.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights during a tour of New Mexico after reading a recommendation in a guide book and guest reviews. The house is full of works of art but more a bed and breakfast than a hotel Our room (the Georgia O'Keefe room) was reasonably comfortable but not as clean as I would have liked. The sheets were very creased (were they washed?) and our small balcony, which could have been delightful, was too dusty to use - I could not sit on the seat cushions. There were no bedside lights, nowhere to put a suitcase,no coffee making facilities and the sliding doors to the balcony did not slide very willingly. The two owners were very much in evidence and ate breakfast with us each morning. There was no choice for breakfast and we were served by the "hostess" and told that the food was delicious. It was OK but not really to my taste. They chatted to us the whole time and gave suggestions as to where we might like to go. They were very friendly but a little overwhelming. Unless you are very interested in art, I consider this B&B to be poor value for money compared with other hotels we stayed at.on that trip.

Room Tip: I don't know.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
greensboro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

The Inn is beautiful and the owners are delightful. Breakfast was quite enjoyable - plenty of fresh, hot coffee, fruit, yogurt and pancakes or quiche. The room was quiet and well appointed and the bed was comfortable. This place beats a hotel anytime. i am looking forward to staying at this Inn the next time i travel to Las Cruces.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

We were advised by friends not to stay at Lundeen's Inn of the Arts. The said they had a miserable experence there. The rooms were cold and damp, the food was "low grade dog food", they related to us. We thought our friends were being overly dramatic. So we booked a 3 day stay at Lundeen's. What a mistake. Our friends were 100% correct in their assessment. Our bed room was musty smelling and we finally had to change rooms. The reading area was dirty, used Kleenex in the chairs for example. The food(?) was either pandcakes from a cheap box mix, granola, limited fruit, and they always ran out of coffee. Mrs. Lundeen, the proprietor, never appeared in the morning because she did not "do breakfast". Mr. Lundeen was at breakfast but in the time we were there, his discussions turned to his religious beliefs. I finally had to tell him, "Jerry, I am on vacation not in church". My wife told me, on the second day we were there, lets find another place to stay. On a scale of 1 to 10, Lundeen's grades at a 1.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

I wasn't really sure how to write a review on this place. We arrived around 7pm on a Sunday evening and thought we were locked out (even though we had called to say when we'd be arriving). We did find our way in and found the key but there didn't appear to be anyone there. Finally after walking through a creepy dark dining area I found someone in the kitchen who was able to help us find our room. (turns out she worked there, but she seemed unsure if she did or not). We stayed in the Georgia O'Keeffe room, myself and 2 girlfriends. Now I have to preface this by saying I do not believe in ghosts or hauntings of any sort, but this place had some weird juju. My one friend thought the paintings were looking at her (this isn't hard to believe bec. paintings of people coat the walls in this place) but she also felt weird cold breezes pass by her. I myself kept referring to it as the Shining Hotel. I'm sure I psyched myself up bec. that first night I had an awful nightmare of a man standing over me with a knife ready to stab. I wouldn't have made much of any of our weird experiences until I read the review about someone having their first paranormal experience in that same room. I won't go so far as to say it's haunted, bec. I just really have a hard time believing in that, but something is going on at that hotel and I'm not sure what it is.
On a lighter note, we found the owners Jerry and Linda to be delightful! They talked with us at length both mornings of our stay and were kind enough to have someone come in early for us on the last day and cook breakfast. Consequently the best huevos rancheros I've ever had.
Overall I don't know what to say really other than if you're ever in Las Cruces, or going to white sands (as we were) you can either stay in a boring chain hotel or a hotel with some "flavor" if you will. I usually opt for flavor, haunted or not.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
new england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2008

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, we were a little reluctant to book here, but we are very glad that we did. The owner was friendly and talkative, and entertained us each morning at breakfast. The inn was comfortable and attractive. They have wireless internet access. Breakfast was simple but good--during the time we were there we were served pumpkin pancakes, eggs with salsa, quiche, banana pancakes, french toast, and scrambled eggs. Yogurt, toast, and cereal were available. The common room/ breakfast room was attractive and there was a fire in the fireplace in the morning. The house cat was very friendly.
I would acknowledge that running the inn is not the owner's primary concern (he is an architect), and it was common for there to be no one around after breakfast. This did not detract from our stay at all, but may be the source of some of the problems noted in other reviews.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Lundeen Inn of the Arts? Share your experiences!