“Interesting and different” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 10 Las Cruces B&B and Inns
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Interesting and different”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights during a tour of New Mexico after reading a recommendation in a guide book and guest reviews. The house is full of works of art but more a bed and breakfast than a hotel Our room (the Georgia O'Keefe room) was reasonably comfortable but not as clean as I would have liked. The sheets were very creased (were they washed?) and our small balcony, which could have been delightful, was too dusty to use - I could not sit on the seat cushions. There were no bedside lights, nowhere to put a suitcase,no coffee making facilities and the sliding doors to the balcony did not slide very willingly. The two owners were very much in evidence and ate breakfast with us each morning. There was no choice for breakfast and we were served by the "hostess" and told that the food was delicious. It was OK but not really to my taste. They chatted to us the whole time and gave suggestions as to where we might like to go. They were very friendly but a little overwhelming. Unless you are very interested in art, I consider this B&B to be poor value for money compared with other hotels we stayed at.on that trip.

Room Tip: I don't know.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
greensboro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

The Inn is beautiful and the owners are delightful. Breakfast was quite enjoyable - plenty of fresh, hot coffee, fruit, yogurt and pancakes or quiche. The room was quiet and well appointed and the bed was comfortable. This place beats a hotel anytime. i am looking forward to staying at this Inn the next time i travel to Las Cruces.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

We were advised by friends not to stay at Lundeen's Inn of the Arts. The said they had a miserable experence there. The rooms were cold and damp, the food was "low grade dog food", they related to us. We thought our friends were being overly dramatic. So we booked a 3 day stay at Lundeen's. What a mistake. Our friends were 100% correct in their assessment. Our bed room was musty smelling and we finally had to change rooms. The reading area was dirty, used Kleenex in the chairs for example. The food(?) was either pandcakes from a cheap box mix, granola, limited fruit, and they always ran out of coffee. Mrs. Lundeen, the proprietor, never appeared in the morning because she did not "do breakfast". Mr. Lundeen was at breakfast but in the time we were there, his discussions turned to his religious beliefs. I finally had to tell him, "Jerry, I am on vacation not in church". My wife told me, on the second day we were there, lets find another place to stay. On a scale of 1 to 10, Lundeen's grades at a 1.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

I wasn't really sure how to write a review on this place. We arrived around 7pm on a Sunday evening and thought we were locked out (even though we had called to say when we'd be arriving). We did find our way in and found the key but there didn't appear to be anyone there. Finally after walking through a creepy dark dining area I found someone in the kitchen who was able to help us find our room. (turns out she worked there, but she seemed unsure if she did or not). We stayed in the Georgia O'Keeffe room, myself and 2 girlfriends. Now I have to preface this by saying I do not believe in ghosts or hauntings of any sort, but this place had some weird juju. My one friend thought the paintings were looking at her (this isn't hard to believe bec. paintings of people coat the walls in this place) but she also felt weird cold breezes pass by her. I myself kept referring to it as the Shining Hotel. I'm sure I psyched myself up bec. that first night I had an awful nightmare of a man standing over me with a knife ready to stab. I wouldn't have made much of any of our weird experiences until I read the review about someone having their first paranormal experience in that same room. I won't go so far as to say it's haunted, bec. I just really have a hard time believing in that, but something is going on at that hotel and I'm not sure what it is.
On a lighter note, we found the owners Jerry and Linda to be delightful! They talked with us at length both mornings of our stay and were kind enough to have someone come in early for us on the last day and cook breakfast. Consequently the best huevos rancheros I've ever had.
Overall I don't know what to say really other than if you're ever in Las Cruces, or going to white sands (as we were) you can either stay in a boring chain hotel or a hotel with some "flavor" if you will. I usually opt for flavor, haunted or not.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
new england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2008

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, we were a little reluctant to book here, but we are very glad that we did. The owner was friendly and talkative, and entertained us each morning at breakfast. The inn was comfortable and attractive. They have wireless internet access. Breakfast was simple but good--during the time we were there we were served pumpkin pancakes, eggs with salsa, quiche, banana pancakes, french toast, and scrambled eggs. Yogurt, toast, and cereal were available. The common room/ breakfast room was attractive and there was a fire in the fireplace in the morning. The house cat was very friendly.
I would acknowledge that running the inn is not the owner's primary concern (he is an architect), and it was common for there to be no one around after breakfast. This did not detract from our stay at all, but may be the source of some of the problems noted in other reviews.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2008

My stay in the inn was very short stayed. Had my first paranormal experience in the Georgia O Keefe room. I was the only one there, and I heard someone pleading for help. I locked the door, layed down on the bed for 5 minutes, and the covers were pulled off me and thrown across the room. Anyone else with info or similar experiences, please leave a review for me to read. Thanks

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — haunting
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2007

The bathroom was equivalent to a cheap motel. We had reserved a queen bed but found a tiny doulble instead. It wasn't so much the size as the fact that it was soft and uncomfortable and we found ourselves meeting int he middle. I think they're still using the same ol' pillows that JayG mentioned. But the worst thing, by far, was the inability to control the room's air conditioning. The thermostat on the wall was in no way connected to the air coming into the room. After freezing miserably until 12 midnight, the air suddenly went off and the room became hot and stuffy. We spent an hour and a half fiddling with the fan and the sliding door to get it to a comfortable sleeping temperature. We finally got to sleep at 1:30 am and were rather tired and grouchy the following morning. After a rough night's sleep we were looking forward to a yummy home-cooked breakfast. After stale cereal, we were offered "pumpkin waffles". When we declined, the server asked, "So, will that be enough then?" pointing to our half-eaten bowls of stale cereal. For people who don't eat waffles for breakfast, we were surprised that there were no alternatives. Considering that we were planning a long hike through Whte Sands, we asked if they had any bread and cooked ourselves some toast. That still wasn't enough for breakfast so we stopped and got ourselves some real food on the way out. The following night, we decided not to skip the B & B scene and get a good night sleep at the Fairfield Inn, by Marriott. The room was large, clean, had a big king bed, air-conditioning that we could control, a full-sized bathroom with a tub and a help-yourself continental breakfast that included cereal, fresh fruit, juices, toast, bagels, waffles, doughnuts, boiled eggs and muffins. Money well spent!!!

• Stayed September 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Lundeen Inn of the Arts? Share your experiences!