“An Oasis of Tastiness in a Desert” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“An Oasis of Tastiness in a Desert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My family, fiance, and I were driving from White Sands back to Albuquerque when my fiance suggested we stop in Hatch to eat at Sparky's, since a coworker claimed it was a delicious burger. Totally worth it. The Sparky's green chile cheeseburger is not what you would call "gourmet". It is a regular sized beef patty, and I got mine with no toppings other than the green chile and cheese. That burger has been in my memory ever since. The food is not only delicious, but affordable, too. I got a meal with a green chile cheeseburger and green chile cheese fries, plus a drink (which I substituted for a delicious shake) for around $8. I think the meal with a regular drink is about $6.50. My dad got beef brisket, which I think is the best I've had in New Mexico since I moved here, and my mom got prime rib, which was equally delicious. You would not expect a quirky little burger joint in such a small town to have such noteworthy food, but it does. Great place to bring kids because of all the fun decor.

Sparky's in Hatch is the sole reason why I plan on going to the upcoming annual green chile festival. Sometimes I even ponder the thought of driving the 2.5 hours from ABQ to Hatch just to eat at Sparky's.

• Visited April 2013

Omaha, Nebraska
“Best burger, meal of my vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

This is by far the burger I've ever had, with or without green chile. My son and I talked and thought about the burgers from Sparkys the rest of our Southwest trip and compared every meal against it. Thought about driving back down from Santa Fe to grab a few more before we traveled further north. But we had limited time and that'd just be crazy...or is it?

Should of picked up a shirt, but was a bit pricey.

• Visited July 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Extraordinary Burgers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My wife and I recently visited Hatch and didn't much care for the town, which we found to be generally unfriendly and depressing. Sparky's, however, was a jewel in an otherwise dilapidated setting. Their green chili cheeseburger was the best burger I've tasted since I left Los Angeles 26 years ago and ate my last Tommy's burger. Sparky's fresh lemonade was also delicious with just the right combination of pulpy sweet and sour juice. They had a number of side dishes to go with their burgers and I really enjoyed their chili seasoned fries and pinto beans. Blues classics were playing in the background in a delighfully quirky atmosphere of three dimensional representations of cutural icons such as Colonel Sanders, Ronald McDonald, dinosaurs, mermaids, and robots. I bought a Sparky's T-shirt that seemed to me to be artistically significant in its funky retro style. Sparky's is a treat not to be missed.

Visited July 2013
The Woodlands, Texas
“Best burger around!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Their green chile burger was the best thing I've had in a long time. The rest of the food my family ordered was off the charts as well. This is a place you can't miss. Don't expect a fine dining experience - it's not that kind of place, nor should it be! Just great food and a fun atmosphere. Wish I could give it a higher rating that 5 out of 5!!

• Visited August 2012
tucson
“Worth the line!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stumbled across Sparky's while taking a shortcut to the 10 (thanks to our GPS). We were about to turn when my husband asked "What are all those people doing there?", then we noticed all of the crazy statues everywhere (life size T-rex, a Ronald McDonald, and even a Colonel Sanders) and a banner touting the best green chile burger. We figured if there was that much of a line, we had better stop. We took our place in the heat and waited to see what the fuss was about. After about a 1/2 hour, we got into the restaurant and saw the menu. Um....strawberry shakes with chiles? Lemonade....with chiles? We figured when in Rome (or Hatch)....so we ordered the green chile burger and the green chile pulled pork burrito and a Sassy Strawberry Shake and a plain lemonade (for the kids). OMG, AMAZING! The lemonade is freshly made and a bit too sweet, but the kids swallowed it in one gulp. The Sassy Strawberry Shake is a treat for gourmet taste buds, but even my son liked it, not to sweet, not too spicy, just right. The burger was the best thing we had in 4500 miles of driving (and thanks to the Trip Advisor app, we ate really well this trip!)! The pulled pork was juicy and dripping deliciousness, but nothing compares to the burger. Hands down. And the line NEVER went down the whole time we were there. Which is too bad, because I really wanted to try the Chile Lemonade after braving the shake! The owner was super nice and even insisted on taking our water glasses inside to refill them (yes, we ate outside, but there was no room inside! At least there was a bit of shade under a patio.). To top it all off, there was very nice live music inside. Worth the line, even worth the drive!

• Visited July 2013