“Truly a Best Value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Gallup
Glendale, Arizona
“Truly a Best Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I had booked several reservations at this chain along my route. Gallup was my first stop and I can honestly say that it was the best value! I have trouble with my knees and balance issues, so I had requested a downstairs room, unless they had an elevator. I not only got a downstairs room, but it was a corner room next to the parking lot and handy to everything. I have medical equipment that I need to use at night and for the first time EVER there were actually unused electrical plugs right next to the bed. The check-in and check-out people at the desk were very friendly and helpful. The bed was comfortable and had just the right amount of blankets, considering there had been blizzard conditions in the area the week before. I would definitely stay at this ABVI in Gallup again and would highly recommend it to others. It was first rate all the way with low-budget price, but make sure you book online or the price almost triples!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the hotel as they are farther away from the trains and the highwa...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Manhattan Beach, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Good breakfast.
$10 pet fee was charged for each day of stay.
Guests prepay for rooms here. If you extend, you have to go to the front desk again to pay.
Front desk personnel friendly.
Ample parking.
No pool, looks like there was a pool but now filled in with soil.
No grass, landscaping is with large rocks. Hard to walk a dog here.
Near train tracks but I like train sounds so not a problem for me at least.
Bedspread seemed dirty. Very gross old blood stains on pillowcase and sheet. Clean otherwise.
I stayed two nights, ending 11/06/2012, in room 137. Maid service never happened during my stay despite two calls and one in-person conversation. I was instructed to hang "maid service please" on the door but didn't help.
If you join their club they will extend check-out from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM upon request.
On my last day at 10:45 AM as I was loading my vehicle the housekeeper came up to me and here was the conversation:
Her: "Are you leaving right at 12?"
Me: "Yes."
Her: "Please put the maid service sign out when you leave." (Apparently her shift ends at 12 so this was so her relief housekeeper would clean the room.)
Her: "You can give the tip to me now."
Me: (Flabbergasted silence.)
Her: "The tip."
Me: (Still processing.)
Her: (Continues to stand at my door.)
Her (finally): "If you want to."
I stay in hotels frequently but this was a first.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Buna,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed here for 3 months while my husband was working.. Most of the staff is great especially Betty!!! The head house keeper Jenny is VERY RUDE AND INCONSIDERATE!! Had my DO NOT DISTURB sign on and she still walks right on in.. Overall everyone was great and we enjoyed our stay besided JENNY!!!!

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

The good:
- Friendly Staff - most of the maids do a good job with what they have.
- The suites are basically a one bedroom apartment - great for long term stays.

The bad:
- The suites are supposed to be fully equipped with utensils, pot & pans, etc. but the reality is prepare to make a trip to Walmart to get essentials.
- The owner of this place knows nothing about customer service! I mean nothing!

The ugly:
- Advertised pool has been filled in with dirt.
- The exercise equipment for the advertised fitness facility doesn't exist and is supposedly on order, but if you look at the reviews, this has been the case for 2 years.
- The furniture is in need of replacement.
- Did I mention that the owner is a really difficult person to deal with?

I think everyone gets the idea from most of the reviews that the owner of this hotel, Sam Soohoo, is the major problem here. Apparently he is trying to build a new hotel in town and evidently has decided to minimally maintain this one. That's a crying shame because he has the only game in town for long term stays! The hotel has 37 suites (I believe) with full kitchens, living room, and separate bedroom - really a one bedroom apartment.

I checked in January 23rd and stayed there until June 30th. My first room was kind of strange - it was not very well equipped and the pots and pans were severely used and in really bad shape. I basically made a trip to Walmart to equip the room for adequate stay. The cabinet design in the kitchen didn't allow the dishwasher door to fully open, it would only open halfway because the door hit the stove. It didn't have the advertised safe or the widescreen TV. When I asked if they could be installed I was told that the owner, Sam, said I would just have to wait! Didn't have to wait long - about a week later I woke up to water dripping in my face. I woke up and the entire bed was soaked and the ceiling leaking from snow melt. They moved me to another suite after a few days in a single room waiting for one to open up.

Luckily the next room was in better shape but the same thing with the cabinet design, although this time, the dishwasher opened all the way. The person complaining about the mix of smoking and non-smoking rooms was right on the money. I would stuff towels under my door at night to keep the smoke out. The person complaining about train noise doesn't realize that the tracks go right through the town, and the town was built along the train tracks, so every hotel in town is going to have the same problem. I stayed in this room for a little over 5 months and generally didn't have many issues. My primary maid, Mary, did a really good job of cleaning my room but I could really tell when she had her days off.

I paid a monthly rate and before I checked out Sam informed the staff to tell me that I owed full price for 2 days because the rate was based on a 30-day month. I stayed there almost 6 months paying on time every month. I left the room in better shape than I got it electing to leave the cooking and eating utensils, glasses, etc. I had purchased. I thought after all that length of time he was going to wring a few more dollars out of me.

In spite of this, I made reservations when I checked out on June 30th for a return trip that I'm still on. I had left a credit card and even offered to pay in advance to insure that I got the same room that I had already equipped. I was assured that I would get my room and they only needed a credit card to hold it.

Thank goodness this is only for 8 days. This was not a very pleasant stay at all! First, my wife traveled with me this time to stay while I worked. When we landed in Atlanta from an already delayed flight, we were informed that our next flight was even more delayed. I decided I should call the hotel to let them know that we would be arriving late. Betty, a really nice person, answered the phone, I told her who I was, and that I had room 230 booked for 8 days. She found my reservation and informed me that I wasn't getting room 230, but room 138. I was a little upset by this and then asked her to confirm that it was at least a suite only to be told that, not only was it not a suite, but was one of the Motel rooms! I need to say at this point that my wife and I travel quite extensively and stay in some really nice hotels, most recently, The Hermitage in Nashville, a 5 diamond hotel. The only real appeal for this place is the suites. Needless to say, I was really upset! I kept apologizing to Betty that I understood that she was only the messenger. I also told her I realized and could here Sam saying that he got someone who wanted to stay for longer than 8 days and booted me out. I had also shipped out ahead of time a box with utensils, spices, etc. to stay in the suite so I could cook our meals ($138 shipping). I then had 4 hours of flight time from Atlanta to Albuquerque to stew over this. When we got to Albuquerque I called again and talked to Betty again who had called Sam to tell him I was very upset and pleaded with him on my behalf to make something happen. She said she was at least able to get us a hotel style room instead of the original motel style. I told her that the only appeal the place had was the suites and if I wasn't getting that, I was going to a different hotel in Gallup. Evidently Betty called Sam back and made another appeal on my behalf and he relented and let me have a suite he was holding. So when I arrived to check in around 1:30AM I was pleasantly surprised to be told that Sam said I could have a suite but I'd have to pay full price to get it (remember customer service? remember a reservation is a reservation and you should honor your commitment?). I reluctantly agreed to the price and we wearily moved our stuff into the room. I'm sure someone else got booted because if I paid full price, he would make more money!

What we found was:
-The safe didn't work.
- The thermostats didn't work.
- The exhaust fan and light over the stove didn't work.
- There were 2 spoons, 3 forks, and one dinner knife.
- There was an old frying pan, a small sauce pan, and a colander.
- The couch was broken and if you tried to sit on it, you fell in.
- The chair's left arm frame was broken and the cloth torn in many places.
- My wife was so appalled she made me search to beds and things for bugs.

We decided to make do since it was only for 8 days.

I will be coming back to Gallup for project trips with the nearby refinery for some time to come,but I'm not sure what I'm going to do. It's a shame; he has every opportunity to make this a good place to stay and I feel really sorry for his staff who try to make do with what he provides. A really sad state of affairs.

There a many people working on projects at the refinery who are, or have, stayed in this hotel and all have the same feedback. One in particular had a really nasty experience that I won't go into the details because they are really gross. He complained to the corporate office and they informed him that the hotel didn't belong to them and they would inform the owner of the problem. They moved out to another hotel in town and received a letter from Sam telling them that what happened was their fault and not his. Evidently a really nasty letter!

I think you get the point. I gave this hotel a 2 star poor rating and would have given it 1 star if not for the staff and the ability to stay long term without having to eat all your meals out. Everything else was substandard!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Norman, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I'm a travel nurse who stayed in a suite for 4 months while working in the area. The staff was excellent. The housekeepers worked around my schedule (I worked nights). Very sweet ladies as well. The suite was very clean and well kept. All appliances worked well in the full sized, stocked kitchen. The kitchen and living room were seperate from the bedroom and bathroom. The bedroom was very large and had a seperate TV. The laundry room in the motel was clean and the machines worked very well. I never had any issues with safety, including theft from the room or my parked vehicles. The location of the motel is not too bad. There's a mexican restaurant in the parking lot, McDonalds next door, and a small grocery store around the block. Walmart is on the other side of the tracks, easy to get to with a vehicle.

Cons: King sized bed was uncomfortable. Trains pass by every 7 minutes, but you get use to it and my suite was on the back side so the noise was not as bad, plus I had a box fan in the room to drown out any noise. There is no swimming pool or fitness center as originally advertised. The internet worked ok, but occasionally dropped completely.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Socorro, New Mexico, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

We mostly stay the weekend at Best value in gallup to see our family and friends. But yet the staff are to mean like the head house keeper "Jenny Spencer" & the Laundry lady that helps her. Being so rude knocking on the door even though it say's 'DO NOT DISTURB' and they just walk in the room with you. so i think its best to let NO ONE stay at that hotel. We told the Manager "SAM" but seem's not to CARE about the customer's. And the shower's are nooo good! i need to take my family to a different place.

Room Tip: Just rent a different hotel not Best Value inn
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Sheer torture is all I can say...Didn't get more than 10-15min. rest at a time and had to continue on our road trip in the morning. If you're driving and need to stop, bypass Gallup! I can't believe they built a strip of hotels along the tracks with intersections that require horn blowing!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Americas Best Value Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!