“I WISH it was better than it was” 3 of 5 stars

El Rancho Hotel & Motel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 East Hwy 66, Gallup, NM 87301   |
Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Gallup
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“I WISH it was better than it was”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

The potential is so amazing, if only there was care by ANYONE. We're exploring Route 66 and trying to experience vintage places, but other than the lobby this one is a little sad and not in as good of shape as most others. There's a security guard that wanders the parking lot - it's not a great area. The lobby is amazing. Our room was fine. It's historic, so we're used to the lack of outlets. Our room had a little kitchenette that was interested. The bathroom was VERY small. The beds were fine. The doors have louvers on them - no one can see in, but sound-wise it's open to the hallway. Our room overlooked the roof of the restaurant, I'm guessing. The people in the room next to us would climb out on the roof and smoke at all hours, so we couldn't crack a window to mitigate the boiler/steam heat. The hotel advertises Wi-Fi, but it wasn't available in the rooms (PET PEEVE). Actually, they had just upgraded, so I had a visible signal labelled El Rancho, but it required a user name and password. When I asked, the desk didn't know. They gave me a single set of characters. After trying all combos, I went back down and asked and they said they didn't know. No sorry, nothing. I asked a person using a laptop in the lobby and he said there is a different unsecured access point in the lobby. Would have been nice if the desk had told me that. And don't waste your time with the restaurant.

Room Tip: As others said - view the room before deciding.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Graham, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

The hotel is old and historic - not a five star, but we weren't expecting it to be. I drove 150+ miles out of my way to stay there. I had confirmed reservations (credit card on file) for the John Wayne room. When we arrived, the quirky man behind the desk said our room wasn't available. "It had been red tagged" He was lying, and you could tell so by watching him. He had either rented the room to someone or something else, but whatever.... he was lying to us. I drove at least 2 1/2 hours to stay there. The hotel lobby is interesting, but with happenings like this, I would avoid it like the plague. You want to see it - walk into the lobby, have a look-see, and then go to the Hampton (exit 16 on I-40) down the street - new, clean, nice and great beds to sleep on

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
santa barbara, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Really cool lobby which includes both the ground level and the upstairs. Lots of historic movie pictures and the like. This is the second time we stayed at the hotel. The first time the room was really cramped and the bathroom even more so.... really gives you an idea of how the place was "back in the day", but not so nice now. We reviewed the rooms before we settled in.. I highly recommed it. We were on the third floor, the hallway was a bit smelly but the room was fine. Great front desk staff. We did not eat at the restaurant this time but did before. Ok for price and service... there are better options down the street (ask). I do wish the owners would do some upgrading of the hotel and keep its charm...

Room Tip: Check out the room before you accept.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

This review is for the El Rancho restaurant only. We stayed at the hotel before, but not during this trip.

Restaurant service was slow/accurate, food quality was good and the prices were fair. Clearly, there is a lot of history in this place as well as continuing potential.

Recommend for the history

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
lafayette hill, pa, usa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

The shower looked so unhygienic that we decided to wait to the next stop.
There was no internet in the room (supposedly a temporary issue), so I'm sitting in the lobby writing this listening to kids banging away on the piano.
There was one spare socket in the room to charge anything with.
I noticed there was neither a thermostat or heat radiator in the room. (It was around 30 degrees outside). Upon enquiry, I was told that there was an on/off switch which turned the heat on or off, but that there was no way to actually set the temperature, even approximately. So, your choices were to either be stiflingly hot, or cold, or jump up and down from the bed to turn the heat on and off—not very practical while you’re sleeping. We were cold!
Those movie stars must have been kleptomaniacs. This is the only hotel I’ve ever been in where the radio cord is screwed into the bottom of the night table!
This place is obviously trading solely on its historic image. So, do yourself a favor, and visit the lobby, take it all in, then turn around and stay elsewhere.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Franklin, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night and were very comfortable. It's not the pillow top mattress that you get other places but the atmosphere alone is worth the visit. Really nice lobby with big fireplace and comfortable chairs. Lots of Hollywood history. Nice staff make the stay better.

Stayed March 2014
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Unfortunately, we didn’t get to the El Rancho the night we rolled into town but we did stop in before we left Gallup. The hotel has a great number of photos of various movie stars that have stayed there while filming movies in the area.

We ate breakfast there and enjoyed the ambience and the food. A gift shop has some interesting items for sale.

This is definitely an place to stop when in Gallup. If we go back to Gallup, we'll stay there.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to El Rancho Hotel & Motel? Share your experiences!