“Keep driving!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Ft. Sumner

Save Saved
You added Super 8 Ft. Sumner to your Saves list
Super 8 Ft. Sumner
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1599 E Sumner Ave, E Hwy 60 & 84 at 17th St, Fort Sumner, NM 88119   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Fort Sumner
Cedar Creek, Texas
“Keep driving!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

My husband and I made a resevation at this hotel because it was listed as pet friendly. We were driving from Texas to the Taos area for vacation. I booked online, but called the 800 phone number to find out if there were additional fees for the dog. I was told by the customer service person I talked to that there were none. When we checked in, the manager said there would be a $10 charge for the pet. I explained that I was told by phone that that was not the case. He was very rude and refused to make good on what his company told me by phone. He never apologized and just kept demanding the money. The $10 was not the point, it was his lack of courtesy and unwillingness to please a customer. Because we would be charged for the room whether we stayed or not and because it was getting to be late at night, we ended up paying the additional $10 and staying. We would have kept driving if that hadn't been the case. When we got to the room, it was decent, except for the floors. They were filthy! This manager was not in the business of "customer service" and Super 8 just lost us as customers.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

My family ended up staying here a lot longer than we wanted to, because of car problems. I reserved one night. Then I had to stay an extra night. The third day the repairs on my car ran long. I had to pay full price for less than 3 hours, until the car was fixed and we checked out. I understand they still have to pay housekeeping, but we didn't use the shower, just used the beds. He could have offered me a discount, especially since we had already stayed two days at their full price rate.
There are small microwaves and fridges in the room, but it literally took ten minutes to cook a bag of popcorn, and it still was only half full.
The breakfast is really a joke for a chain hotel. There is no hot food at all. Bagels, toast, and muffins, and two kinds of dry cereal. There's milk, regular coffee (no decaf), and the juice machine (as another person said months ago) has warm juice in it that never gets changed.
The rooms were clean and a fair size, but on my last day I was put in a room with a broken window. The view in my first room was of a cut down pick up truck they use for a dumspter.
There was problems with the wi-fi, and the manager did go to considerable lengths to get it to work. On my last day he did replace the router next to my room, and I was finally able to get internet in my room, rather than hovering near the front desk.
All in all, it was average. It's the only chain hotel in Ft. Sumner. It's about $60.00 a night for two adults, so it won't break the bank, but don't expect many extras.
I would stay here again if I was ever in this town, but after almost 3 days in this tiny town, I am sure I was in every business, saw every site, and talked to most people, so I don't look to going back.
I want to say this town (and most of New Mexico) have extremely friendly and helpful people. Russ and sons auto repair worked on my car, and they really went out of their way to try and help us.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Hereford, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

This is the only national chain in this small town, so naturally we were attracted to this. It is next door to the Billy the Kid Museum, a western museum more than a museum about the outlaw who was gunned down in town back in 1881. The rooms are clean but the breakfast buffet included rancid orange juice that wasn't changed and was kept in the machine the entire time.

More frustrating for me was not having reliable WiFi. I went downstairs to let the manager know this. She promptly rebooted the server but the WiFi remained down that night and the following day. I thus missed an important deadline for an online class. This greatly upset me.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Abilene, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

The room and the Service were all great except for the very flimsy towels. We arrived late and left fairly early, otherwise I would have taken the very small and thin towel back for a trade in. Breakfast was better than average for a Super 8. We will probably return on future trips to Albuquerque.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Austin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

We stayed here on our drive back from Colorado to Texas. The rooms were clean, and unlike other reviewers' experience, our room was quiet, even though there was a group of hunters who checked in next door to us. (And I was worried about this, as the only other time I had ever stayed at a Super 8, I couldn't sleep due to the thin walls and noisy neighbors.

The hallway reeked of cigarette smoke, which was unfortunate, but none of the smell made it into our non-smoking room.

The staff were nice and attentive. You could tell, at least relative to other motels that I have stayed in through the Southwest, that the employees were trying to do a good job.

At $80+ a night (we had a small pet, so we were charged an extra $10), the room's a little steep for what you get. But overall we were pleased to have a reasonably nice place to stay in an area that's kind of the middle of nowhere.

(An extra tip: If you're traveling east and running low on gas, try to make it to the Texas border. Gasoline was $.30/gallon cheaper on the other side of the border.)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Lubbock, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

I made reservations well in advance for a late stay at the Super 8 in Fort Sumner, New Mexico. We called around 8:30pm to ensure that they would know we would be arriving around 1 or 2am. They promised us a room and told us this would be no problem since they are 24/7. I arrived around 1:30am as promised. To our shock, we arrived to find a locked entrance lobby deserted of any clerk. We rang the doorbell...called the office..waited 15 minutes. No replies, no sign of life. We were forced to drive across desolate New Mexico overnight with no town or hotel within 50 miles. Our room was given away. We were also treated rudely after confronting management. They griped at ME for complaining about it. Hotel may be nice, but don't expect a room when you get there.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

This is a typical Super 8. It was OK, except for the pillows (very flat) and the walls were paper thin. It was clean and I felt safe. There's little to do at Ft. Sumner, but we came here for the history; this is where Kit Carson forced the Navajos to relocate, during the infamous Long Walk. There's also some Billy the Kid sites. The motel is extremely easy to find, with plenty of parking. The breakfast wasn't bad. There's few choices to eat in Ft. Sumner, and we were there on the weekend. Dinner was at a mom & pop restaurant near the end of town. That restaurant had very nice Native American decor. Food nothing fancy but good. I'd definitely stay at this motel again, but would ask for more pillows. Sleeping might be a challenge if there's loud people around.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Still looking for a hotel?