“Great Place for Something Different!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Description: 505-327-2255
Description: 505-327-2255
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Great Place for Something Different!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Pros: Great Service, Excellent Quality, Delicious Food, Downtown Farmington, Delivery, Menu, Price, Gluten Free Items, Caters
Cons: Plain Atmosphere

Mikasa is a great addition to the Southwest. In a land of Green Chile and Southwestern food compitition, Mikasa stands out representing Asian food.

While walking downtown Farmington, enjoying the local shops and Southwest art, my family and I decided to grab a bite to eat. My sister had previously tried Mikasa and loved it, so we decided to all walk down.and give it a try, we're happy we did!

Although it's located in a great area of Farmington, the building doesn't look like much and doesn't give you really a clue of what to expect going in. My family and I walked in and were greeted by many smiling faces and a warm welcome. The interior is simple and somewhat plain, although somewhat of a relief to not see an overdecorated Asian feel. We were glad to see many other families and couples filling the restaurant.

We sat down and were welcomed by our server and menus. The menu had a good mix of appitizers, soups, salads, lunch and dinner items, hibachi, sushi, and desserts. I also ordered a Thai tea, which was delicious!

I ordered a cup of egg drop soup and the hibachi chicken bowl. The egg drop soup had great flavor and a good consistency, I would order it again and wanted to try some of the other soups. My family all ordered off the hibachi menu and everything came out looking superb. The portions are the right size, not too much, but enough to be filling and possibly a little extra depending on your appetite, but for lunch, it was great. Oh, and they also include gluten free items for those of you looking for places in the area. My sister is gluten free and loves this place.

Although I am a fan of sushi, I did not order any sushi. I will also say that people need to realize that New Mexico is land locked and not exactly known for their sushi. Even if I did order sushi, I wouldn't hold my expectations to their highest knowing the facts. I will however say, there were many folks around us who did order sushi and it looked great! I have to say the presentation of the food is amazing, this restaurant does an excellent job at making their delicious food look just as good as it tastes.

Service was great. Everyone was helpful and kept our drinks filled. I'll also add Mikasa is a great value for the quality, quantity, and service received.

Overall, I definitely recommend this place. It's hard to imagine finding a good place to grab some Asian food in the Southwest/4 Corners area, but this place is great quality for a good price. Although the restaurant isn't anything special on the inside, it has a nice feel and the service makes up for what it lacks with the plain view. An excellent experience and would definitely return!

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Farmington, New Mexico
“Terrible Tempura, funky fish”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Went for lunch with my boyfriend. I ordered vegetable tempura and soup, he had the sushi lunch special. Hot and Sour soup very good. Tempura dipping sauce brought out at same time as soup.
By the time the tempura arrived, dipping sauce was cold. Tempura was overbreaded and undercooked. You could not even tell what type of vegetable was inside until bitten into. Batter was raw as well as the vegetables themselves. I asked to have the tempura taken off my bill. They refused and said they would cook me another order. I did not take them up on the offer.
My boyfriend's maki rolls were almost all rice with a little chopped fish on the inside. Fish was dry and old looking. Did not enjoy. Hot tea is a joke. A diner coffee mug full of hot water and 1 generic green tea bag. If you want a second tea bag you pay for a second cup. Only hot water is a free refill. Will not be going back.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Duluth, Minnesota
“Great lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I stopped by for lunch by myself while my husband was fishing. I was so excited to see a Japanese restaurant downtown. I had appetizers and they were excellent The Shrimp Tempura was excellent, and the presentation was inviting. I will definitely return on our next trip to Farmington.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Disappointing Sushi Choice”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I opted for this Mikasa experience to be delivery (they do deliver!) since I didn't have a vehicle to get there. I ordered a chicken teriyaki bowl and a Hawaiian sushi roll. This was after about 10 minutes of back and forth between the girl who was on the phone, who I don't think has a lot going on upstairs. She asked me if I wanted a chicken teriyaki bowl or plate, and I asked what the difference was, she said they were the same. This was despite a $3 price difference. I went with the bowl after I got frustrated with her non-answers, and we plodded through the rest of the ordering experience.
I was told it would be 30-35 minutes on the delivery, and after 50 minutes came and went, I called the restaurant again. I gathered from their tone that they may have forgotten to make or just deliver the order.
So I got my food an hour after I ordered, and tore into the chicken teriyaki. It was incredibly bland and flavorless. A huge disappointment. The sushi was at least tasty and seemed fresh, but due to the whole overall experience, I wasn't impressed and will hesitate to give them my business again.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Best sushi ever.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My 12 year old grandson asked if there was a sushi restaurant in Farmington. The Hotel recommended Mikasa Japanese Cuisine. Although I've never been much into sushi the appetizers and entrees at Mikasa were an amazing surprise. We tried 4 different dishes and they were all superb. Definitely a place to dine when in Farmington NM.

• Visited August 2013