“A great find - can't wait to return” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Southwestern
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Chicago, Illinois
“A great find - can't wait to return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

A great find in Espanola. Will visit every time we pass through.

My stuffed sopapilla was very generously filled with shredded beef and completely covered with green chile. I like a little more heat to my chile but none the less it was delicious. It was the perfect amount of heat for my Mom. Everyone at our table loved their food.

The restaurant itself was extremely clean and the service was really good but what I thought was a very nice touch was the greeting when we arrived and the sincere thanks when we left. Don't know if it was the owners or the managers but they genuinely appreciated our business. Can't wait to go back to eat great food and support a business that cares about its customers.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Harshaw, Wisconsin
“The Real Deal at Reasonable Prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

After 5 days of dining in Santa Fe, I was ready for regional food for real people and that is what I found at La Cocina. The menu is surprisingly varied -I was able to get a lamb enchillada! And all meals come with two fresh sopapillas - served warm with honey on the table.

One tip - this place is apparently a great favorite with the Espanola local business community, so it can be pretty busy during the lunch period.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
in my room
“Could be a great place...but”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

They don't put chile on anything unless you specifically request it. The cheese wasn't melted in my enchilada nor did my enchilada. Relleno came with out chile as well. It would'nt take much to make this place a great place. PUT CHILE ON YOUR FOOD!!

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Back on Track and Worth a Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have dined at La Cocina since 2008. A couple of years ago, I was concerned - service was off, food was skimpy, cooking was sub-par, alcoholic drinks were not available.

Forget all that. Whatever forces were conspiring to cause the turbulence are gone. I visited a few days ago and the waitstaff was courteous, attentive, and efficient. Food was also good. No one will ever try to put Northern New Mexico staples in with haute cuisine, but if you go to La Cocina looking for the down home basics of local New Mexican food, you will find it, and you will find it done right. Dishes are freshly made and portions are ample. You won't find plates simmering under heat lamps here. So if you have strayed away from La Cocina because of their past issues, take it from me, it's time to come on back. And yes, you can have a glass of beer and/or wine.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Liberty, Texas
“Anniversary Party”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I contacted La Cocina several months ago from Texas about my mom & dad's 50th wedding anniversary party. I spoke to Albert, Ben and Pauline and they could not have been more helpful. I never imagined how perfect everything would have gone. The servers, the waitresses, hostesses and everyone there was so professional and treated us as if we were long time customers. The food was absolutely wonderful, the service was exceptional and I can't think of one thing that I would have changed! Thank you again for making a special night even more special! My mom said "She had never had a more perfect day in her life." I will never forget all that you did and I hope to visit your fine restaurant again one day.

• Visited December 2012