“Nice surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Elephant Butte
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Nice surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I was dreading my company's 3-day meeting at Elephant Butte Inn, especially learning it was an older hotel recently renovated. But I was pleasantly surprised from the get-go. The staff at the front desk were polite, knowledgeable, and fast. My room, while nothing fancy, was clean, comfortable, and had all the amenities I needed—TV, wi-fi, fridge, coffee pot, and hair dryer. Additionally, it was soundproof enough that I heard none of the revelry going on around the hotel, and slept well. The bar was fun—great staff there as well—and the restaurant served some excellent food, far superior to any other I had in town. ALL continually remarked on the landscaping around the hotel, how pretty the flowers and grounds were, and the big bonus was the “gazebo” we discovered at the edge of the property, facing the desert and beyond that, the lake—there, in the evenings, I was entertained by rabbits, quail, and verbose coyotes. Great stay and I'd certainly return.

Room Tip: While rooms by the pool are probably a little nicer, the ones by the parking lot are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Ivory Tusk R, General Manager at Elephant Butte Inn, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Vicki, Thank you for your kind comments. It was our pleasure to have your company here with us. We look forward to your next visit!

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Thatcher, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed at the Inn for one night. First let me say that the room was beautiful as were the grounds. We had a "lake view" room. This was a push to say it was lake view and it was more expensive than the road side rooms. My problem was with the insects. When we entered the room there was a dead roach on the tile inside the room. There were also one or two dead flies. That isn't the worst of it. I have a travel toothbrush with a cap that covers the toothbrush head. When I showered and cleaned up in the morning I went to brush my teeth and a roach was caught in the small space between the handle and the cover. It was still wiggling!!!! I mentioned the problem when we checked out and was told about the "beetles" being bad this time of year. I stated that my father was an exterminator and I know the difference between a roach and a beetle. I was given a refund of $15.00 on a $115.00 room. This was our first stop on a New Mexico and thank heaven the rest of the trip was much better. Would never stay there again.

Room Tip: Though you really cannot see the lake the lakeside rooms are better. There is a large expanse of gr...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ivory Tusk R, General Manager at Elephant Butte Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for your kind comment about our beautiful room and grounds; we work diligently to provide the best accommodations for our guests. This summer has been a very uncommon summer in our area. We have had more rain than usual which is a great thing for an area suffering almost four years of drought. However, it has created an issue with an onset of insects. We have always had regular exterminator services for our rooms and grounds but this has been an extraordinary situation. Please read the rest of the Trip Advisor comments; you will see this is not a normal issue for our property. Thank you for your patronage!
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The Elephant Butte Inn is a wonderful place to have a wedding. The rooms, staff, and grounds were fantastic. Our wedding turned out better than I ever expected. The staff was very accommodating and they got all the details exactly right. The entire event was classy and we had the best service. Our wedding day was truly fantastic and I could not have done it without the help from everyone at the Elephant Butte Inn. The food at our reception was sensational! I was very impressed with our experience and highly recommend for a wedding/reception or just a nice place to stay. Family oriented, extremely helpful and just an overall top notch place! I can not say enough about how impressed we were with everything. Thanks for making our wedding a very special day, one we will cherish forever. Truly an awesome place!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ivory Tusk R, Public Relations Manager at Elephant Butte Inn, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
We were thrilled to host your wedding....it was a beautiful event! The work that you put into this special day was phenominal. Thank you for your kind words and best of luck for a beautiful future!!
lake havasu City, Arizona, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We cannot say enough about the cleanliness and friendly staff at this fine resort. From the moment we arrived until we left the entire staff including the grounds people we friendly and eager to make sure that we had everything we needed. The outside patio where they allow pets while dining was great. The waiter even brought a container with water for our dog. It was super clean yet did not smell of that awful disinfectant that some places use. Super comfy bed and four pillows on each bed two softer and two firmer. We cannot wait till we can go back.

Room Tip: all areas are great
Big Spring, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I wanted to take another route to get home to West Texas from Albuquerque so I headed down I-25 with a plan to finally see the city of Truth or Consequences and found that there is a 25 mile lake (though very low level of water right now) at the connecting town of Elephant Butte. After driving through the little village we de died on The Elephant Butte and eating at the their in-house brand grill!

My daughter and I had some delicious steak and cheese enchiladas then an excellent nights sleep here!

Smithtown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Had reservations to take my son to the SpacePort the next day so on a recommendation we stayed at the Elephant Butte Inn. From the moment we approached the reception desk to our check out we were treated warmly and professionally. The lakeview room we had was newly furnished and was quite comfortable with two queen beds. Dinner in the Ivory Tusk Tavern was delicious (have the enchilada plate with both red and green chilies).

I highly recommend staying at his friendly, clean and comfortable property.

Room Tip: Lakeview rooms are newly renovated
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Clean and convenient. Great place to stay with friends and family. Restaurant service is slow and they need to staff up on holiday weekends, but other then that, everything else is enjoyable. Very convenient to lake and activities.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Ivory Tusk R, Owner at Elephant Butte Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for the kind review. We strive to offer the best accommodations and services but this holiday was far busier than previous years and our staff seated and served guests as quickly. Thank you for choosing Elephant Butte Inn & Spa and for your comments...most appreciated. We look forward to your next visit to the Elephant Butte Inn & Spa.

Been to Elephant Butte Inn? Share your experiences!