“Terrific and Worth the Drive!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 restaurants in El Rito
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Oak Park, IL
“Terrific and Worth the Drive!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We drove here from Santa Fe with friends who live in the area, and we stopped for lunch. What a fabulous place--down home; family owned; very, very casual--and cash only. This place is truly worth it. Two of us had chicken enchiladas "Christmas style," from the "a la carte" menu, one with green sauce (excellent!), one with red; the other two had combination plates. (I was particularly pleased that the chicken in the enchiladas was all white-meat, by the way.) I hope we have the opportunity to go back. The food is also very reasonably priced, and the service is friendly and helpful. We were all pleased.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

84% Recommend
Gold Canyon, Arizona
“Good Traditional Mexican Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My mother and I went to El Farolito after a break from our class at nearby Ghost Ranch. We were told that it was a "hole in the wall dive" with great food and we were not disappointed. El Rito is a town whose time has passed and the restaurant appears to be the happening place for the town. It's accross from the closed gas station in case you think you have driven passed it. I had the chili relleno plate with a cheese enchilda. I had to have the red chile, as the green had pork in it. My mom had the tamale and enchilda plate with green chile. My mother lives in New Mexico and said it was some of the best green chile she had had in a while. Their wall held lots of awards for their chile. I live in the southwest and this is traditional food with the entrees all melding together and bound by the cheesy sauce - just the way I happen to like it. Yes, it is a dive with the basics of traditional food. I had not seen the reviews about BYOB and I missed a nice cold beer with my lunch. Calibrate your expectations and bring your own and you will be in for a treat.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
NC
“Farolito?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Everyone told us we should go there, so we left out of Abiquiu for The Place. Beautiful drive, so don't worry about that . . . but we missed the restaurant, went a few miles past and had to come back. There's nothing THERE except the restaurant! Yes, it's a small old place, and yes, it's not fancy, and yes, the food is pretty good. Lots of people getting take-out; friendly service, but it took us forever to get served, which was okay due to good people-watching opportunities. Rellenos were really good; chicken enchiladas were so-so; green chili is a given. Take your own alcohol if you want some; we saw that some folks brought their own. An experience you don't want to miss!

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Best Green Chile Enchiladas ever . . .”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

We were staying at the River Farm Bed & Breakfast in Medenales, NM and they recommended El Farolito as a restaurant that we shouldn't miss. They were right on. If you like places that are way off the beaten track and serve awesome food, this place is for you. It is a true "hole in the wall" but don't let that scare you away. The ribbons for 1st place in the Santa Fe Green Chile Championship give you a hint of what's to come.

DON'T MISS IT!

Be sure to check out my wife's in depth blog at www.everydaycouple.blogspot.com for even more info and photos.

• Visited April 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Dreaming of chile rellenos”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Have been eating there for twenty years and never get tired of the Farolito special with green and a bit of red on the side. The relleno's are the best in Northern New Mexico and the endless mix of folks from the area and visitors from everywhere else speak to the power of word of mouth - and the taste that lingers draws us and all the others back again and again. A new York friend who visits would like there to be an airport in El Rito so he could fly there directly.....

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to El Farolito? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage El Farolito, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.