“Excellent Mexican Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Beaverton, OR
“Excellent Mexican Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

We found this place on tripadvisor. The reviews are correct. Excellent food and the service was excellent too. While we only waited 20 minutes for a table, time enough to enjoy a drink, it seemed that those that arrived after we did (7pm on a Monday) waited much longer. However, the wait is well worth it. We loved the very casual atmosphere.

Texas
“Excellent little place, highly recommended by locals !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

We only had one night in Taos, and were told by 2 different locals that Orlando's was the place we should eat dinner. So we did, and we were not disappointed.

The wine was great, the atmosphere is very appealing.. we sat outside under some huge umbrellas on their patio.
The guacamole was average, but the entrees were fantastic and had LOTS of flavor, as did the salsas!

We ordered vegeterian burritos and chicken burritos as our entrees, and they come covered in a red or green chile sauce, and I must warn you, I love spicy things, and these were HOT! We had the brownie sundae for dessert, and it was the perfect way to chill down our throats after eating all the spices! We would definitely go here again.

Colorado Springs, Co
“my experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

My family just went to Taos for the weekend...unfortunately it rained most of the time we were there. The last night we ate dinner at Orlando's. It was pouring rain and they told us we had to wait for 25 minutes outside under umbrella's. So we did. We waited and waited and then i decided to check on our table, that's when the waitress said oh, i called your name...you didn't hear me call you? NO we didn't hear her call us and she didn't bother to walk out to where she told us to wait. Apparently she gave our table away, so then we waited another 5 minutes patiently. I was upset but we finally got seated. The food is good, i only suggest getting there early since there seemed to be a line everywhere we went.

Dallas, Texas
“High prices, hot beer, and a high-nosed staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2008

I left my sole Orlando’s “experience” yesterday both angry and with an upset stomach. After a day to think about it I guess I am most angry with myself, as I did what I normally don’t do and that’s let the suggestion of a stranger influence my restaurant decision with no further research.

My wife and I had traveled all the way from Dallas to this area for her a special birthday celebration and we had time for only one meal during the day we allocated for exploring Taos. Choosing this place for that meal was a big mistake. The mood was initially set as the too
-typical lusty thin-waisted, top-heavy over-endowed young girl seated us and asked for our drink orders. An order of tea and a Mexican beer was followed with our being informed that only waiters can take orders for alcoholic beverages (by now we guessed she was not a waiter) and our waiter would be along shortly (as perhaps she believed).

During the wait, there was plenty of time to scope out this place. As I gazed around I mentally began to search for what might be the attraction of it all. I have to admit, my mind re-traced some of the same thoughts I now see from other reviewers here. Yes, what was the big deal? It wasn’t obvious, or to me anyway. But so much for thought as my posterior was already starting to ache as I tried to get comfortable in the cheap and uncomfortable super discount style all mesh-metal picnic chairs and tables that filled the outdoor patio.

At last our waiter appeared and took our order. Shortly afterward he showed up with iced tea and a beer with mug. Since I was driving, my wife was the birthday girl and the waiter didn’t bother, I began pouring the beer for her but noticed after a couple of ounces all the beer foamed out of the glass. Having put down a few thousand beers in my lifetime, I took a sip directly from the bottle to prove my theory and I was right, the brew was room-temperature. The waiter didn’t show back up until the food was delivered, when I complained. He then explained very condescendingly that the beer could not be hot, that it was put in the cooler last night and went about serving our plates on the table, totally dismissing my comments. When challenged about it again, he stated he would verify (whatever that means, hint, I am stupid). We never saw him again until we finished and he showed back up to ask for desert choices, which we declined.

I was starting to stew about this time and especially after dropping $28.10 for a very mediocre tasting lunch consisting of a plate of 3 tacos, 2 enchiladas, chips, a beer and a tea. All I could do at this point was provide a tip that I felt worthy of services rendered. Still not feeling justice had been served and still really feeling “taken”, I asked to speak to the manager. The lady near the door who had appeared to serve as sort of a traffic cop, pointing waiters to tables said “I can help you”. I reported my issue with the beer and the waiter to her in a very professional manner and she replied in an even more condescending tone than the waiter “sir thank you for bringing that to our attention”, with a wry grin as her left lip took an upturn in what I would call a classic sneer. No offer to wrong the right or hint of restitution.

I would speculate that historically this restaurant must have done something consistently positive to attract as many people as it seems to now maintain on a daily basis. Maybe someone can point out what I am missing? High prices, hot beer and a high-nosed condescending wait-staff were what I experienced. Hopefully, yours will be better.

winston salem, nc
“Great local food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

Great local place for a casual meal of authentic New Mexico food. Recommended by our B&B host, it was the perfect place for our first night's meal, since we were tired and hungry and not willing to shower and dress for one of the fancier Taos restaurants.

You absolutely have to try their Guacamole - it is fabulous!