“Wonderful surprise, incredible food!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 13 Restaurants in Corrales
Cuisines: Indian
Albuquerque, Nm
“Wonderful surprise, incredible food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

My dining companion and I had been to the Saffron Tiger Express on Paseo. We thought this restaurant was the same format--the "choose your entree and sides" similar to Panda Express. But this was a sit down restaurant with a full menu. It smelled wonderful when we walked in. The restaurant is very nicely decorated and the wait staff was excellent. And the food! I couldn't decide so we ended up getting quite a few items. We started with the bread basket, which had a sampling of all the different types of naan they offer: plain, garlic, some stuffed with potatoes, onions, and spices, and another type stuffed with (I think) dried fruits. I didn't care for the latter (although my dining companion did) but I loved the others. It's a LOT of bread. We took plenty home with us. I ordered the chicken makhani, also known as butter chicken. On their menu it describes the sauce as "heavenly." I will agree! Of course there is a reason why it's called "butter" chicken--it's made with a lot of butter and a lot of cream. So a health food this is not, but it was delicious. My dining companion ordered the chicken vindaloo, which was excellent and very spicy. We also ordered aloo mutter (potatoes, peas, and onions in an Indian sauce) and dal makhani (lentils in that same "heavenly" sauce as the chicken). Everything was amazing.

Now to me Indian food is a little expensive, because I'm cheap. Our dinner was right around $50.00 which is more than I typically spend. However, we had plenty of leftovers, at least enough for 2 - 3 more meals each, so in that respect, it didn't work out to cost that much per meal.

I do prefer the Indian buffets only because you can sample so many different things, but I will definitely come back to Saffron Tiger. I just saw on their website that they have a lunch and dinner buffet every Tuesday.

The only suggestion I would make is to offer some of the dishes as a side dish. We would have loved to have smaller portions of the vegetable dishes instead of a full order. But other than that, it was heavenly!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Albuquerque, New Mexico
“EXCELLENT, PLENTIFUL BUFFET”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I've been to many Indian buffets and I think this is probably one of the better ones, if not the best. The selection is huge and everything is hot and delicious. The atmosphere is very upscale and even allows booths for more private dining conversation. The service is excellent, with just the right amount of attention. I love that I live nearby and can enjoy the good food here whenever I want. They also have a "sister" restaurant on the east side, in Albuquerque, but the atmosphere is COMPLETELY different...more casual and resembles cafeteria style. The selection is also much much less than at their flagship location.

Visited January 2013
Albuquerque
“Fast lunch, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

If you want a fast lunch with great food, visit this restaurant that is on Alameda and Coors. They have a buffet with a great variety, service is fast and I like this location better than the one at Paseo del Norte. The food seems better selection and the atmosphere and decoration is more elegant. I notice they have a bar, of course, I only go at lunch time, so I have never had a drink there. If you are in a hurry for lunch, visit this location! There is plenty of parking and it is never crowded!

Visited August 2012
Corrales, New Mexico
“tasty food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

....but there was something about it made me wonder how fresh and clean were the vegetables - a bit of a cold atmosphere and pricey too.

Visited June 2011