“Great overnight stop” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Bullard, Texas
“Great overnight stop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

Really good hometown hospitality. We've always stayed in Clayton on driving from Colorado to OK/TX/LA, and usually at one of the newer hotels. Couldn't resist giving this historic hotel a try. What fun! Very clean comfortable room. Yes, the bathroom is cold -- but very clean!

The host/owner was truly cordial and helpful. The dining room was inviting so we had a late snack, which was tasty and pleasant. Breakfast was truly outstanding -- a good variety of high quality FOOD. The service was oddly designed, but worked great.

You won't want to miss this one!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Albuquerque
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

This was our first visit and after reading other reviews, I have to agree that it is an authentic stay in an historic hotel with lots of history. We loved the comfortable queen bed and balcony room. You could imagine staying here in the 1800's and watching the action on the street below. We enjoyed visiting with the couple in the next room who were also enjoying the balcony and sipping on a bottle of wine. In fact, they joined us for dinner in the saloon while we listened to live music along with the locals on a Saturday night. Food was adequate and not that important as we were enjoying visiting and listening to the music The queen bed in room 206 was so comfortable - probably a new mattress. No coffee in the room, but it is available in the lobby. The next morning, the quiche and ham & cheese croissant sandwiches along with fresh cantaloupe was the best! Oatmeal and cereal are also available. We did hear the train whistles during the night, but it really added to the charm.

Room Tip: Room 206 is a balcony room - nice to have fresh air!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Wheaton, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Along with the St. James Hotel in Cimmarron, this is one of the few strongly authentic southwest experiences I've seen in the area. And I'm from the southwest. So many bars and restaurants that are "historically authentic" have been extensively updated to meet modern tastes and conveniences.

I won't say the food here is the best in the world. It's certainly pretty good, and I really like their mexican food when I come through town. But I can almost guarantee this is as close as you'll get to old-time America, without being too dressed-up. And since it isn't dressed up, the atmosphere may seem a little dim or old-fashioned (not "hip" old fashioned but real) for some. I like it.

There are even century-old bullet holes in the bar!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

I was in town for a marathon and the Eklund did a great job of hosting us runners. Warm welcome, great service, very helpful. They've done a lot of work and are very happy to explain the hotel if you are interested. The rooms were great. Ours was very large and very comfortable and had an amazing balcony shared with other rooms. Too bad the weather wasn't the best to enjoy it. We had a private event in the restaurant and the buffet was great - if that's representative of the food, eat here as well!

Room Tip: The only downside is close railroad tracks. I always travel with earplugs and had no issues.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Coupland, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We always stay at the Eklund on our way to visit relatives in Colorado, and we always enjoy it. During our last stay, the staff went above and beyond the call of duty to help us when we had car trouble. Without their help, we would have had a hard time continuing our trip. They were helpful in getting our car towed and helped us get a rental car. We can't thank them enough. As usual, we enjoyed the suite on the second floor that opens out onto the balcony. We love to sit out there and look at the historic Luna theater and the other buildings. We also enjoyed our meals in the saloon and the complimentary breakfast in the dining room with quiche and croissants. Thanks again to Jeanette, Jo Beth, Jerry, and everybody!

Room Tip: We like the suite on the second floor with a door to the balcony.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

This hotel dates from 1892 (saloon portion) and has been restored with much of the original woodwork and plaster work from the periods. The Hostess was happy to take us on a tour and show us several of her rooms, even though our timing did not work out to stay there. The dining room is a locals gathering place with good food. When we travel we most often look for the unique. There is not much in the general area of Clayton so this is a very worthy find.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Richardson, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Driving from Dallas to Denver I was driving through Clayton NM when I came up to the stoplight in the late afternoon. I glanced left and saw this old downtown hotel. I'm glad I turned around as it is a gem in this dustbowl area of the west. The pics I took don't convey how truly nice the building, the rooms, and the saloon/dining really are.
The owners and staff were so friendly I thought I was at my favorite Westin:) The room seemed like it was set in 1898 but was very clean and had everything I needed including a comfortable queen bed. The weather cooperated and I had a great beer sitting on the balcony outside my room overlooking main street. I ate at the hotel that evening and the steak was great but the best part was that chocolate sheetcake the owner made.
I'll finish with this about this hotel and other high quality boutique hotels in small towns; chains are great because they're homogenous, but you wake up the next day sort of missing your bed at home. I drove off from Hotel Eklund the next morning feeling like I had just experienced what was great about traveling in this country - great history, great architecture, and great hospitality. I'll stay again next time I'm in that area of the country.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that opens to the large balcony.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Eklund? Share your experiences!