“An Authentic Southwest Saloon” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 Main Street, Clayton, NM   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wheaton, Illinois
“An Authentic Southwest Saloon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Along with the St. James Hotel in Cimmarron, this is one of the few strongly authentic southwest experiences I've seen in the area. And I'm from the southwest. So many bars and restaurants that are "historically authentic" have been extensively updated to meet modern tastes and conveniences.

I won't say the food here is the best in the world. It's certainly pretty good, and I really like their mexican food when I come through town. But I can almost guarantee this is as close as you'll get to old-time America, without being too dressed-up. And since it isn't dressed up, the atmosphere may seem a little dim or old-fashioned (not "hip" old fashioned but real) for some. I like it.

There are even century-old bullet holes in the bar!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

I was in town for a marathon and the Eklund did a great job of hosting us runners. Warm welcome, great service, very helpful. They've done a lot of work and are very happy to explain the hotel if you are interested. The rooms were great. Ours was very large and very comfortable and had an amazing balcony shared with other rooms. Too bad the weather wasn't the best to enjoy it. We had a private event in the restaurant and the buffet was great - if that's representative of the food, eat here as well!

Room Tip: The only downside is close railroad tracks. I always travel with earplugs and had no issues.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Coupland, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We always stay at the Eklund on our way to visit relatives in Colorado, and we always enjoy it. During our last stay, the staff went above and beyond the call of duty to help us when we had car trouble. Without their help, we would have had a hard time continuing our trip. They were helpful in getting our car towed and helped us get a rental car. We can't thank them enough. As usual, we enjoyed the suite on the second floor that opens out onto the balcony. We love to sit out there and look at the historic Luna theater and the other buildings. We also enjoyed our meals in the saloon and the complimentary breakfast in the dining room with quiche and croissants. Thanks again to Jeanette, Jo Beth, Jerry, and everybody!

Room Tip: We like the suite on the second floor with a door to the balcony.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

This hotel dates from 1892 (saloon portion) and has been restored with much of the original woodwork and plaster work from the periods. The Hostess was happy to take us on a tour and show us several of her rooms, even though our timing did not work out to stay there. The dining room is a locals gathering place with good food. When we travel we most often look for the unique. There is not much in the general area of Clayton so this is a very worthy find.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Richardson, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Driving from Dallas to Denver I was driving through Clayton NM when I came up to the stoplight in the late afternoon. I glanced left and saw this old downtown hotel. I'm glad I turned around as it is a gem in this dustbowl area of the west. The pics I took don't convey how truly nice the building, the rooms, and the saloon/dining really are.
The owners and staff were so friendly I thought I was at my favorite Westin:) The room seemed like it was set in 1898 but was very clean and had everything I needed including a comfortable queen bed. The weather cooperated and I had a great beer sitting on the balcony outside my room overlooking main street. I ate at the hotel that evening and the steak was great but the best part was that chocolate sheetcake the owner made.
I'll finish with this about this hotel and other high quality boutique hotels in small towns; chains are great because they're homogenous, but you wake up the next day sort of missing your bed at home. I drove off from Hotel Eklund the next morning feeling like I had just experienced what was great about traveling in this country - great history, great architecture, and great hospitality. I'll stay again next time I'm in that area of the country.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that opens to the large balcony.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

If you have right expectations, you will very much enjoy your stay. This is a cool old hotel in a cool old small town. It has all you need, including wi-if!

The hotel could use a $1M remodel, but that isn't going to happen soon. Enjoy the wear and tear... Save your spa experience for your next stay in another town!

Enjoy the old hotel and the history, enjoy the vibe you won't get at a chain.

• Stayed February 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

This has become my new favorite hotel (and saloon). Traveling many days each year has me staying in the Marriott's, Hilton's, etc. but nothing beats this.

For the historic angle on this go read their website. I'll just cover the basics of my stay here.

After having driven past this hotel for 40 years I finally had the chance to stop and stay. Total bill for me was under $100. Room was on the 3rd floor and I used the stairs rather than the elevator - just because I like to take the stairs when possible. The room looks very good and has a bed, desk & chair, armoire (with TV) and a remodeled bathroom.

The bed was as comfortable as any I've slept in on the road (they said it was from Denver Mattress). Bathroom showed no signs of aging. However remember the hotel is more than 100 years old so accept the challenges: single-pane windows are not very energy-efficient so your room may be cold. I adjusted the heat and slept well.

The restaurant/saloon is awesome too. Had dinner (ribeye) and it was delicious.

Best of all: staying at most hotels benefits employees and shareholders but how often do you get to meet the people who you are supporting? The owner and front desk clerk were always friendly and eager to please. Just book a night here - whether or not you actually need to stay in Clayton. Go see the dino tracks and hanging site of Black Jack Ketchum (if you have time).

Room Tip: Train runs between 7am and 10pm and is about a block away so just enjoy it. Remember this is a trip...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Eklund? Share your experiences!