“Old SW experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Dallas, Texas
“Old SW experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

This hotel dates from 1892 (saloon portion) and has been restored with much of the original woodwork and plaster work from the periods. The Hostess was happy to take us on a tour and show us several of her rooms, even though our timing did not work out to stay there. The dining room is a locals gathering place with good food. When we travel we most often look for the unique. There is not much in the general area of Clayton so this is a very worthy find.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Richardson, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Driving from Dallas to Denver I was driving through Clayton NM when I came up to the stoplight in the late afternoon. I glanced left and saw this old downtown hotel. I'm glad I turned around as it is a gem in this dustbowl area of the west. The pics I took don't convey how truly nice the building, the rooms, and the saloon/dining really are.
The owners and staff were so friendly I thought I was at my favorite Westin:) The room seemed like it was set in 1898 but was very clean and had everything I needed including a comfortable queen bed. The weather cooperated and I had a great beer sitting on the balcony outside my room overlooking main street. I ate at the hotel that evening and the steak was great but the best part was that chocolate sheetcake the owner made.
I'll finish with this about this hotel and other high quality boutique hotels in small towns; chains are great because they're homogenous, but you wake up the next day sort of missing your bed at home. I drove off from Hotel Eklund the next morning feeling like I had just experienced what was great about traveling in this country - great history, great architecture, and great hospitality. I'll stay again next time I'm in that area of the country.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that opens to the large balcony.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

If you have right expectations, you will very much enjoy your stay. This is a cool old hotel in a cool old small town. It has all you need, including wi-if!

The hotel could use a $1M remodel, but that isn't going to happen soon. Enjoy the wear and tear... Save your spa experience for your next stay in another town!

Enjoy the old hotel and the history, enjoy the vibe you won't get at a chain.

• Stayed February 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

This has become my new favorite hotel (and saloon). Traveling many days each year has me staying in the Marriott's, Hilton's, etc. but nothing beats this.

For the historic angle on this go read their website. I'll just cover the basics of my stay here.

After having driven past this hotel for 40 years I finally had the chance to stop and stay. Total bill for me was under $100. Room was on the 3rd floor and I used the stairs rather than the elevator - just because I like to take the stairs when possible. The room looks very good and has a bed, desk & chair, armoire (with TV) and a remodeled bathroom.

The bed was as comfortable as any I've slept in on the road (they said it was from Denver Mattress). Bathroom showed no signs of aging. However remember the hotel is more than 100 years old so accept the challenges: single-pane windows are not very energy-efficient so your room may be cold. I adjusted the heat and slept well.

The restaurant/saloon is awesome too. Had dinner (ribeye) and it was delicious.

Best of all: staying at most hotels benefits employees and shareholders but how often do you get to meet the people who you are supporting? The owner and front desk clerk were always friendly and eager to please. Just book a night here - whether or not you actually need to stay in Clayton. Go see the dino tracks and hanging site of Black Jack Ketchum (if you have time).

Room Tip: Train runs between 7am and 10pm and is about a block away so just enjoy it. Remember this is a trip...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Beulah, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Coming into Clayton NM at night, it's easy to imagine being a cowboy of a hundred years ago, searching for a warm and comfortable place to spend the night in the Texas Panhandle. The Hotel Eklund must have been like paradise. Today, with modern amenities added to the historical architecture, it still is a great place to aim for. You can get a good meal and a fine beer at 7 PM, maybe even later, and then spend the night in an original upstairs room.

For a meal, I suggest the chicken fajitas if they're available, or something with the mild red chile sauce. The staff regard each other as family, and they will treat you the same, chatting with you as you choose your meal.

The only thing I'd change about our recent experience would be the bed. It's quite firm if you are accustomed to a pillow top mattress. Perhaps this will change in the future.

Room Tip: A room in back is quieter and darker at night, but I really liked the balcony room in front. You hav...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The Historic Eklund Hotel is beautifully remodeled, clean and comfortable. We stayed here just after the remodel in 2004 and again in 2013. The hotel has beautifully restored features, large clean rooms and a friendly staff. The restaurant (in the saloon) can be relied on for excellent food (the steak is always recommended, although the menu is diverse including Mexican offerings). Hot breakfast in the morning, not the usual rolls and cold cereal found in the big brand names. Quiche, homemade cinnamon rolls, toasted oatmeal and quesadilla bites ready to warm in the microwave - it was delicious and you can taste the extra love. If you find yourself traveling through Clayton NM, take time to spend the night at the Historic Eklund Hotel... the train does rumble through early in the morning but that is part of the old west charm.

Room Tip: If you need two double beds, room 207 has the balcony!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Mustang, Ok
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

If I were rating this just as an attraction I would give it 4 stars. Love the old hotel building, atmoshpere, and architecture. As an active hotel, it is lacking. This was our 3rd visit. My first review was entitled, Disappointed. Still am. Was talked into giving the hotel another try.
Made reservation and when we got there, they said we had cancelled. Had an argumentative desk person. Finally got a room. Again, for the price, it is not worth it. Also, after a long day, I wanted a nice hot shower. NO HOT WATER. Got up at 5:30 am the next morning thinking, there will be hot water for sure. NO HOT WATER. They claim the queen bed is a queen bed. Don't think so!! We left once again disappointed. And, the continental breakfast, per my wife, is a joke. Don't expect much out of the restaurant, but that is another review. I would suggest using the Best Western in Clayton. We have used Best Western 5 times and always pleased.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Eklund? Share your experiences!