“Great hospitaliy and great stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Eklund
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 Main Street, Clayton, NM   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
New Braunfels, Texas
“Great hospitaliy and great stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Eukland Hotel in October of this year and enjoyed our overnight stay thoroughly. We arrived to to a warm welcome. Our room was charming, warm shower & great water pressure (one of my pet peeves if the water pressure is low). Bed was comfy and sheets clean.

We ate at the restaurant at the hotel. The chilie rellanos were a-ok and my husband and I loved the craft beer selection.

My favorite part of the story is yet to come. The Hubbs and I were headed out quite early, 4am to be exact. As we packed up our vehicle we heard a sound and Jeannette, the owner, poked her head out the front door. This kind lady offered my husband & I breakfast of fresh cinnamon rolls and tea since we were leaving before the complimentary breakfast was served to all at the Eukland. She lead me back to the kitchen and got some food for us for our trip and sent us on our way. This kind of personal and kind interaction is why I will recommend the historic Eukland Hotel to all those I know. Thank you Jeanette for a wonderful stay!!

Room Tip: Ask for balcony for a treat!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
McCormick, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This is an old hotel that has been lovingly renovated. It is still a work in progress according to the owners, but we liked it. Be prepared for an eclectic experience out of the old west. It has modern conveniences, like wifi, but the atmosphere and decor must be like it was 100 years ago. The service at check-in and at breakfast was also very good. It was nice discussing the history and future plans with one of the owners at breakfast. The included breakfast.is simple but satisfying.
There is also a restaurant that serves a nice selection of comfort food. A good thing since it was pouring during our stay. We were there on a Saturday night and it was full of local folks; a testimonial to the quality of food and service as well as value.
We were near the end of a five-week road trip where we stayed at some very nice B&Bs. This was quite a bit different, but it made us smile.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Junction City, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Friend and I traveled from Kansas to Santa Fe. We stopped at the Eklund for lunch on our second day out. I am not a fish lover but my salad with salmon was light and delicious. The flavor and flakiness of the salmon was remarkable. Friend had the chile relleno and he did not stop talking about how good it was for the rest of the trip. If you are a beer drinker, you must try the Black Jack stout. Wonderful java flavor. We stopped there on our way back and enjoyed the whole thing again.
We had planned to stay overnight on the way home in their beautifully remodeled rooms, but plans changed so that did not happen. Hope we get another chance.

Room Tip: Choose the second floor queen - bubble tub and private balcony to sip your glass of wine.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Wonderful old hotel! Beautifully redecorated a few years ago. You can't get this kind of ambiance at any of the big chain hotels! They did a great job of rolling out the red carpet for our group of 30. We had dinner in the dining room (with a special menu which they had prepared for us ahead of time). Breakfast, which was included, was not your typical free hotel breakfast....omelets, croissant breakfast sandwiches, homemade cinnamon rolls, etc. Our motorcycle club has stayed here numerous times in the past and hope to stay here in the future!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Raymore, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I had heard about the hotel from friends who had gone on previous trips. It was more than I had imagined. The staff was very friendly and cooperative(except 1 person-he was efficient but had an early morning didn't want to be there attitude). We arrived a little earlier than expected and with close to 30 people showing up at once, was a touch overwhelming. But they handled it well, from the check-in desk to the bar staff showing up and getting right into serving everybody to the dinner crew who did a good job getting us all fed with salads, main courses of prime rib, salmon and chicken offerings to dessert. The room was spartan, but the bathroom could of handled a party of 6 in there. Disregard the slanting floor unless you drop something round and have to go chase it. The bed was comfortable, the room was warm and the quiche, egg sandwiches and cinnamon rolls for breakfast the next morning topped it all off.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Folsom room on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Love this place, I have been stopping here on my way to NM and the Rocky Mountains for over 30 years. I finally had a chance to take my kids and they enjoyed the stop. We ate in the bar area and everyone enjoyed their meal and the stuffed animals on the walls.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
West Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

My family members had stayed at this hotel a few years ago, loved it and thought it was a good idea for us to stay there during our 2 week vacation. There were 7 of us and we had made reservations 6 months earlier. We were all traveling together. When we arrived on motorcycles, they had is move our bikes 3 times. Then when we went to check in, the front desk girl was rude when we all walked in at the same time. She made rude remarks about the previous owners and was rude to two of the people in our group. We then went to dinner. The dining room was closed so we ate in the bar. We all ordered steaks with all the trimmings. We were then told they had no bread and no potatoes. The steaks were very small and tough. We will never stay there again.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Eklund? Share your experiences!