“A Real Treasure” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 11 Attractions in Chimayo
“A Real Treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

I fell in love with all of the textiles I saw in Santa Fe. I went looking for a rug, but found that genuine articles in the downtown Santa Fe area were super expensive and out of my league or, if affordable, they were made in Mexico. I wanted a rug made in New Mexico, not some place else. So, I scoured travel brochures and the internet looking for a local source, but without much luck. I happened to see a small billboard for Ortega's Weaving Shop on the way to Ojo Caliente. I plugged in the name on the web and found Ortega's Weaving Shop. Wow! After a bit of a crazy journey because Google maps didn't have the location quite right (we were in the right area), I found the shop. I was blown away by the incredible workmanship, the family's history in the weaving industry, the professionalism of the staff and the very reasonable prices. It didn't take me long to find the rug I had been looking for, and I was pleased to know they would have done something custom if I had wanted it. Besides rugs they make vests, coats, and purses and even carry some high quality jewelry and leather goods. This is a family owned business which made me even happier to support. I may have missed something, but I cannot believe this place does not get more press. For me it was the perfect balance of quality and price.

The same family owns a gallery next door and it was loaded with locally made items. I came home with some beautiful woodwork and tin pieces.

While you are in Chimayo you have to check out the Santuario de Chimayo. We timed it so we could attend mass and it was simply an incredible experience. You won't be disappointed by spending a bit of time in this area that is just a short drive from Santa Fe.

Visited June 2014