“Horrible Service” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Fort Worth, TX
“Horrible Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

While staying in Santa Fe, our B&B hostess recommended we have lunch in Chimayo. Stay away from this place! The margarita my wife had was horrible. I wish I could provide insight into the quality of the food, but we never got a chance to eat. When we arrrived, the rude hostess and her minions advised us that it would be an hour wait. We left an hour and a half later, still waiting to be seated. While we were waiting, a party of 34 with a reservation arrived. They were unapologetically told by the hostess that they would have to be seated in separate groups in different rooms in the restaurant. Based on what I saw of the menu and the service, this place lives solely off of its undeserved reputation.

Chicago, IL
“Totally overrated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

I went up to Chimayo from Santa Fe specifically to have lunch at this place as it was recommended by a friend. The drive was spectacular but nothing about my experience at Rancho de Chimayo was worth the drive and wait for a table. I found it to be a tourist trap with mediocre food at best. Out of my 4 days in the Santa Fe area this was the big dud of the trip. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Worth the trip from Santa Fe.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

Just finished a remodel due to fire and it is still a wonderful place. Great atmosphere, food and a very good value. The service was excellent and a table outside when the weather is good is glorious.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Hurst, Texas
“Try the Cocktail”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

Holly, the manager, made sure our group of 12 had an outstanding visit on the grand re-opening weekend 10-03-09. The service was excellent, the food was quickly served, and my oh my, the Chimayo Cocktails were fabulous. Eduardo, the guitar player, was also fun and willing to take our requests. The restaurant was light and airy, and a great atmosphere. We also enjoyed the gift shops after our meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
santa fe, NM
“As authentic as it gets”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

I'm a local and regular customer here. I would like to say that they are slated to open in late august but keep checking their website. This restaurant is a gem to locals as well and is greatly missed. This place is not Mexican nor is it trying to be although it has Mexican influence. The Spanish settlers came into Chimayo 300-400 years ago and settled in the area. The early Spanish settlers brought along with them many seeds/foods they picked up in Mexico on the way from Spain. Throughout the generations of growing beans, chile, apples, wheat and other necessities is how New Mexican cuisine was born. As time went on they also shared and traded ideas from the local Native American culture as well. The sopaipilla is a slightly different version of Native American fry bread. New Mexican cuisine is a mix of Mexican, Native American, with perhaps a hint of European brought from Spain. It’s the complete opposite what chain restaurants are today. The food is authentic and obviously extremely difficult to copy as I can’t say I’ve tasted anything like it in Santa Fe, Taos or anywhere else for that matter. The one thing I’ve tried and can NOT find anything close to it at all anywhere including the entire Southwest and Mexico is flan. The flan here is the one and only (the right mix of sugar and vanilla. Everywhere else I’ve tried flan it’s tasteless--very bland. Rancho De Chimayo is the only place that can make flan in the world in my opinion. Also don’t miss their Chimayo Cocktail. That is the one drink which is authentic to RDC. I’ve never heard of one anywhere else. The Sopaipilla Relleno and the Carne Asada are my favorites. We terribly miss Rancho De Chimayo. Can’t wait till August!

• 5 of 5 stars Food